2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

49 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

Pedro Gomez is reporting Ohtani is going to have Tommy John surgery and will be out till 2020.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/author/ccalcaterra/

Man, that sucks.  I wonder if they are considering letting him hit in 2019?  They could DH him and let him go through the normal pitcing rehab at the same time.  Most position players come back from TJS in 6-8 months, and Ohtani wouldn't even need to play in the field so they could still be cautious with him throwing.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Man, that sucks.  I wonder if they are considering letting him hit in 2019?  They could DH him and let him go through the normal pitcing rehab at the same time.  Most position players come back from TJS in 6-8 months, and Ohtani wouldn't even need to play in the field so they could still be cautious with him throwing.

That's what I'd do, also keeps him in shape and gets him MLB experience while he rehabs his arm. Keeps him from just missing two years basically.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

They could DH him and let him go through the normal pitcing rehab at the same time. 

My initial take on this is that it seems somewhere between sub-optimal and impossible. Is he going on road trips away from his rehab center for a week at a time? Is he seeing different physical therapists constantly? Maybe they can have a personal one fly around with him, but that's going to really kill any idea of a routine.

My first read on this would be that rehab from TJS is routine nowadays, but not easy. It's like that Ron Swanson quote "don't half *** two things, whole *** one thing".

Archived