2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

What he tweeted was garbage and I'll have no sympathy for everything that comes down upon him for it, but let's not act like that was his full response.

There's more to it, but it's kind of tough to search for Josh Hader on twitter right now and get anything related to his post-game comments obviously.

With that said, I wish he had gone deeper into why the tweets were garbage. Rightfully, there wasn't really an apology or statement that he could've made that would have erased the damage the tweets will do. I'm not so far removed from 17 that I can't recognize know that the old "I was a kid" defense is a cop out. Being dumb enough to not just have those thoughts, but to tweet them out, is pretty pitiful.

But he did provide an excuse for what he said. I'm glad you agree with me that 17 year olds aren't babies and should take heat for tweeting homophobic swears and the n-word (in ANY context).

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

But he did provide an excuse for what he said. I'm glad you agree with me that 17 year olds aren't babies and should take heat for tweeting homophobic swears and the n-word (in ANY context).

I'll draw the line at some point since the next generation of star athletes will probably have a Twitter account by the time they're 10, but yeah, I had a functioning brain at 17. You may not legally be an adult, but you're pretty responsible for your actions at that point. I know plenty of people that were idiots at 17 that have completely changed by the time they hit their mid-20s, but when you're in the public eye, you don't get that benefit of the doubt. Especially with some of the absolute garbage he was sending out.

Not that erasing or deleting tweets solves the greater problem, but I'm absolutely amazed that in this age, an agent doesn't spend a few hours going through every tweet and getting rid of anything terrible literally the second he signs a new client.

We see this every year. Pro athletes, especially younger ones who were on twitter during their teenage years, have gotta be smarter with their social media accounts. I don't know how these dudes don't delete their old accounts and start a new one the moment they make it to the bigs etc.

Seriously, every NFL draft, NBA draft, big playoff game etc this stuff happens.

6 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

But we're not two weeks into the future so we should be talking about it.

I’m well aware that morning talk shows will lead off with what a 17-18 year old tweeted 6 years ago tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

We see this every year. Pro athletes, especially younger ones who were on twitter during their teenage years, have gotta be smarter with their social media accounts. I don't know how these dudes don't delete their old accounts and start a new one the moment they make it to the bigs etc.

It baffles me beyond belief. Players should use some level of common sense and either get a new account or, at the very least, look through their history and get rid of the garbage. As I said above though, the fact that it's not standard operating procedure for every agency to pay some lower-level employee to skim through every client's feed is insane to me. I certainly don't feel bad for the players, but how many guys have to be burned before you spend an hour to remove any possibility of a PR nightmare.

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

I think my issue is more with the tweets themselves rather than the idiocy of not deleting the tweets. A guy my age shouldn't be saying things like this when he's 17. Those beliefs should be extinguished by the time you enter HS at the latest. We are old enough by then that we can control our impulse to publicly espouse bigotry.

I'm even giving him leeway because even just 10 years ago the average person wasn't as sensitive to homophobia. I hope 13 year olds aren't as ******* stupid with homosexuality as they were when I was 13.

4 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I’m well aware that morning talk shows will lead off with what a 17-18 year old tweeted 6 years ago tomorrow.

If you are 18 years old and saying the N-word and "I hate gay people" on the internet, you are an idiot and deserve to be pilloried. It's bad enough for these things to be "on your mind" but you should have the maturity to keep these things to yourself at that age.

3 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Couldn't help myself. Just went through Trout's feed searching usual buzzwords. Only found these which.....meh

ecB9Ql9.jpg

This is something that is insanely common. There was a big push in the Bay to get people to stop saying "that's gay" when they mean that's stupid. They ran ads and all kinds of things. It's that kind of stuff and more exposure to people of different backgrounds that can prevent people from saying stupid things like this. 

9 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

And as I said earlier if you want to play the "17 year olds are just babies who can't control what they say online" game, remember that there isn't a single openly gay player in the majors and I'm not sure if there ever was. It seems like the Josh Haders of the league maintain these childish thought-processes well into adulthood.

Archived