2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At this point the gap is wide enough in production and Yelich's second half has been so monstrous that I feel decent about it tbh. Also we're pretty much in the playoffs, which helps. My biggest remaining concern is DeGrom (who has a legit case as MVP and wouldn't bother me if he won) getting enough of the stat-head votes that Baez can win with just the crochety old man votes.

You mean, like the exact same 1.2 fWAR that Kemp had on Braun in 2011?  ;)

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I know you and I agree with this. I also know you just want to make me salty.

I hate that it's working.

Of course Yelich or deGrom deserves it.  But voters are dumb, and I honestly think it's much closer to 50/50 than most think.  A few things voters care about:

1.  Yelich has Cain on the same team and also putting up a big season.  Some voters see this as making the player "less valuable" if another guy is balling out.  Javy has.......Ben Zobrist?

2.  Javy is doing historical things.  Meaningless historical things of course, but historical nonetheless.  He looks likely to be the first MIF to lead the NL in RBIs since Ernie Banks in the 50's.  He's the first player in history to play 20 games at each of 2B/SS/3B and hit 30 bombs.  I saw something else about 2Bs, HRs, RBIs, and SBs that was historical, but can't remember it.  Voters love this crap.  

3.  Javy is the most entertaining player in baseball.  Yelich is boring AF.  Another ridiculous reason, but it will appeal to some voters.  

I'm certainly not going to advocate for Javy as MVP.  But if it happens, these are the likely reasons.

13 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Of course Yelich or deGrom deserves it.  But voters are dumb, and I honestly think it's much closer to 50/50 than most think.  A few things voters care about:

1.  Yelich has Cain on the same team and also putting up a big season.  Some voters see this as making the player "less valuable" if another guy is balling out.  Javy has.......Ben Zobrist?

2.  Javy is doing historical things.  Meaningless historical things of course, but historical nonetheless.  He looks likely to be the first MIF to lead the NL in RBIs since Ernie Banks in the 50's.  He's the first player in history to play 20 games at each of 2B/SS/3B and hit 30 bombs.  I saw something else about 2Bs, HRs, RBIs, and SBs that was historical, but can't remember it.  Voters love this crap.  

3.  Javy is the most entertaining player in baseball.  Yelich is boring AF.  Another ridiculous reason, but it will appeal to some voters.  

I'm certainly not going to advocate for Javy as MVP.  But if it happens, these are the likely reasons.

Oh yeah these are the crochety old man reasons. Another one is that the Cubs are a big market team and the Brewers aren't. It's an "exciting" guy on a big team versus a "boring" guy on a small team.

The best thing Yelich has going for him is national writers framing him as the frontrunner. Group think is baseball is more powerful now than it was even when Braun upset Kemp. I still think Yelich wins it barring any huge change in production in this last week.

The eternal optimist/Cleveland fan looks at the 4 headed monster of SP that we have (Kluber, Bauer, Clevinger, Carrasco) and loves our chances against anyone come October. 1 of those guys is getting moved to the pen, which should also right a lot of wrongs in that regard. (Clevinger/Coco's stuff in a 1-3 inning span!!!!) That said, who knows if Bauer will be back and the Yankees seem to have the Tribe's number, although they've seemingly played great against the Red Sox as well.

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The eternal optimist/Cleveland fan looks at the 4 headed monster of SP that we have (Kluber, Bauer, Clevinger, Carrasco) and loves our chances against anyone come October. 1 of those guys is getting moved to the pen, which should also right a lot of wrongs in that regard. (Clevinger/Coco's stuff in a 1-3 inning span!!!!) That said, who knows if Bauer will be back and the Yankees seem to have the Tribe's number, although they've seemingly played great against the Red Sox as well.

Cleveland is dangerous AF. 

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Whens the last time one league had each of the top-6 fWAR players in baseball in a given season?

I mean technically DeGrom would be 3rd. But yeah among position players that's gotta be a first. And of the top 20, there are 9.5 NL and 10.5 AL (Manny Machado gets half a point for each).

1 hour ago, tom cody said:

Davis is such a great player. Got to think Oakland will be signing him long term. He should join Betts and Trout in any MVP discussion. 

He does one thing well and is somewhere between below average to terrible at everything else. He's a flea with power, but he doesn't deserve to hold Mike Trout's jock strap.

Archived