Bell wants $17 mil; Ronald Jones rumor?

warfelg

So there’s a rumor floating around that the reason talks with Bell have stalled is we came up some in the offer, Bell was unhappy that it took time, and changed his mind before signing and asked for $17+ mil. 

The rumor is tight lipped but it came from the owners meeting the Cobert has talked trade with some teams. 

Mat the same time it’s rumored that Colbert and Tomlin quietly Skype called Ronald Jones on his pro day and have set up a visit with him. 

The trade rumor is Bell+ something for a 1st, 3rd, player. 

11 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Rumors are garbage bin material.  Not saying that others shouldn't enjoy or share them but most are pure speculations or lies.  Rumors are like the anonymous sources.

Normally I feel this way, but this is someone who I trust and has given me insight into moves the Steelers have made before. 

I could honestly see Bell getting 16 million on the market from some team with a boatload of cap-room.  So if you're him, I understand him trying to milk his value while he still has some.

However, from the steelers perspective, there is just no way in hell you can pay him that.  Ideally, we'd deal him because I worry about him commitment going into this year if the writing is on the wall that he'll be off the team this time next year.  Otherwise, tag him, go for it this year, and get the comp pick.

It's unfortunate if something can't be done for both sides.  Bell's posts regarding how badly he wants to stay in Pittsburgh were clearly empty words, unfortunately.  

I really enjoy watching Bell play but I'm just so tired of his antics anymore. He has already said that he's not reporting to training camp and will do the same thing he did last year and only arrive before Week 1. More off the field drama with him. Then when he arrives will he give 100% or play to make sure he doesn't get hurt? I think the Steelers have been more than fair to him if the reports are true about what they offered last year. When his own agent tells him to sign it and then he doesn't it really shows how devoted he is to the team. His actions speak louder than words when he says he wants to stay with the Steelers. He just wants the money which is fine. I don't know specifically how trading a franchise player works but if that rumored offer is true then I'm in the camp that they should go ahead and do it. They still have a good team as it stands now. Getting that package and finding a RB either in the draft or through FA (I'm not sure who is still out there, DeMarco Murray?) and filling the holes on the team they will still be a contender next season.

Of course I would like for him to sign a long term deal, not for that much, but I just don't see it happening.

I’ll throw my hat in the never going to happen ring.

Bell and Gilbert to Tampa for their 1st, 3rd, and OJ Howard? Sort of makes sense. Tampa just paid Brate and Evans. They also have DJax. Do they have room for OJ?

Draft Minkah and Guice. 

Plug in Hawkins at RT, add OJ to Vance and James. That’s pretty solid Madden stuff and it’d save us a huge bunch of money this year and for the future. 

2 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Steelers are win now mode, my source ( my imagination) says the Steelers are willing to trade their 2018 1st & 3rd plus 2019 1st rounder for OBJ and Landon Collins.

Are you sure your source isnt chrisororke? 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

So basically we should give in....so the next generation can get paid? Screw that. 

Forbes articles are almost always laughable garbage, especially sports related ones.

I will openly admit that RBs get a raw deal in the NFL.   They are often worked the hardest and take the most beating...and as a result, have the shortest shelf life.    Beyond that, its one of the easier positions to replace on a football team.  

I honestly hope Bell gets what he wants....but not from us.    He is a complete back and extremely talented....but for the reasons mentioned above, and the fact that I dont wholly trust him once he has a ton of money guaranteed to him.....I couldnt in good conscience give him the money he wants.

I wish we could trade him to a team willing to pay him and let both sides move on and let us focus on trying to win during our last few years with Ben. 

Archived