Bell wants $17 mil; Ronald Jones rumor?

warfelg

Having said all of that.  I don't for a second believe Colbert is considering trading Bell.  I think they're going to make a poor business decision here ad keep him for 2018 only to lose him in 2019 and get a measly 3rd round comp pick for him.

Bryant I can understand but keeping Bell knowing DARN WELL that you aren't going to pay him $17/M a year is ludicrous ad if you ARE intending to pay him $17M/year that makes you an idiot.

I'm having a discussion with someone on another site about how silly it is to give us and his response to how he would pay him:

A contract could look something like this:

5 years, $80M ($16M/year)
$35M guaranteed, $30M of which as signing bonus (sb)

2018: $6M sb, $4M guaranteed salary, cap hit: $10M 
2019: $6M sb, $1M guaranteed salary, cap hit: $7M 
2020: $6M sb, $15M salary with re-structuring option (rso), cap hit: $21M or $11M w/ rso
2021: $6M sb, $10M salary, cap hit: $16M or $21M w/ rso
2022: $6M sb, $20M salary, cap hit: $26M or $31M w/ rso

possible outs:
2 years, $35M (dead in 2020: $18M)
3 years, $50M (dead in 2021: $12M or $22M w/ rso)
4 years, $60M (dead in 2022: $6M or $11M w/ rso)

So before the 2020 season with the restructure option you can decide if Roethlisberger is still good for another year, and take either the $11M or $21M cap hit. After that you're paying though.

Of course that's paying a lot of money for a RB, but you could keep his cap hits to just $10M, $7M, $11M in the first three years ($9.3M avg). 

After that you very likely don't have a QB so who cares what you're paying a 30-year old RB?

Of course I tell him that's laughable, and his response is "I think that's a great contract to have".

yes.  Just like the 5th year option for 1st round picks is guaranteed.  The CBA says that you then can't give them less than you promised.  Thus Bell makes at least 14.5 M this year even if they extend him.  And I would make any contract easy to drop him after 3 years.

This differs from the regular contracts which can be adjusted.  The franchise tag and options are in the CBA

Correction:  If Bell signs his tender then his salary is guaranteed.  It looks like if they sign him to an extension before he signs his tender then it can be lower.

I know I am in the minority, but I say pay him $17M for three years only, with stipulations for injuries and suspensions. He is as valuable to the Steelers as is AB -- maybe moreso. You can certainly find cheaper options, but are you really going to find a true 3-down RB who's one of the best in the league running, catching, and blocking?

After three years, cut him loose when Ben retires. It's gonna be a rebuild anyway.

Yes...I feel sorry for him...how could he possibly live on the $27 mill he’s made or going to make on the 2 Franchise tags...it’s not like he’s trying to make 2x as much as the next guy...oh wait...

Cry me a river...you’re not a victim...just stupid.

On 2018-03-28 at 4:47 PM, warfelg said:

So there’s a rumor floating around that the reason talks with Bell have stalled is we came up some in the offer, Bell was unhappy that it took time, and changed his mind before signing and asked for $17+ mil. 

The rumor is tight lipped but it came from the owners meeting the Cobert has talked trade with some teams. 

Mat the same time it’s rumored that Colbert and Tomlin quietly Skype called Ronald Jones on his pro day and have set up a visit with him. 

The trade rumor is Bell+ something for a 1st, 3rd, player. 

where do you get this info? I like the idea of them trading Bell, time for him to leave. If we could trade  him first, then hit UFA and the draft to fix the D. 

Don't let the door hit you 2-6.

So sick of his antics, self-centerdness and running to social media like this.

Grow up, understand you're getting very fair value, the Steelers aren't trying to rip you off.

They have other players to pay too. You know, a TEAM 

48 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

where do you get this info? I like the idea of them trading Bell, time for him to leave. If we could trade  him first, then hit UFA and the draft to fix the D. 

I have someone who can tell me select things.

Just pull the tag. Getting sick of his whining. I have no issue with him wanting to get paid, but he acts like his injury history and off-field antics shouldn't even be factored in. Sorry Bell, but you aren't a victim.

I think Bell is petty and stupid enough to where he would definitely force a GM/coach combo that desperately want to keep him to dump him. Bell is one of the very few difference makers they drafted together.

The writing was on the wall last year. He raps to us telling us how he'll negotiate. I completely believe this. And I hope they do trade him. Like Mike Wallace, Bell is saving the Steelers from themselves.

Archived