Forum by forum Mock Draft - Pick 13

Every year there is a voting mock draft in the draft forum.  I like to let only team fans vote for the pick.  The 2018 Forum by forum mock draft is here.  The Washington Redskins are on the clock with pick 13.  The first guy to 5 picks is the selection.  If no one gets to 5 after 24 hours the leader wins.  In case of a tie the earliest to the lead total wins.  If you discuss multiple gys in your post, please make a clear indication in your post who your actual choice is.

1. Cleveland - Sam Darnold

2. Giants - Saquon Barkley

3. Jets - Josh Rosen

4. Cleveland - Bradley Chubb

5, Denver - Quentin Nelson 

6. Indianapolis - Denzel Ward

7. Tampa - Derwin James

8. Chicago - Tremaine Edmunds

9. SF 49ers - Minkah Fitzpatrick

10. Oakland - Vita Vea

11. Miami - Roquon Smith

12. Buffalo - Baker Mayfield

If the real draft unfolded this way, the right move would be "trade down."

Per DraftTek, remaining top 20

• 4 - QB Josh Allen
  • 8 - EDGE Marcus Davenport
  • 11 - RB Derrius Guice
  • 13 - OT Mike McGlinchey
  • 16 - WR Calvin Ridley
  • 17 - EDGE Harold Landry
  • 18 - CB Joshua Jackson
  • 20 - QB Lamar Jackson

Per CBS Sports, remaining top 20

• 5 - WR Cortland Sutton
  • 7 - DT Maurice Hurst
  • 9 - CB Joshua Jackson
  • 10 - QB Mason Rudolph
  • 11 - CB Jaire Alexander
  • 12 - RB Derrius Guice
  • 14 - QB Lamar Jackson
  • 15 - DE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
  • 17 - DT Taven Bryan
  • 19 - WR James Washington
  • 20 - DE Marcus Davenport

Only Davenport, Guice, Josh Jackson and Lamar Jackson are common across the two lists of top 20 talent. I don't see the Redskins taking a QB at 13 after trading for Smith, and I still would rather not take a RB there either.

I'll go with Marcus Davenport simply because of the positional value (and my predilections towards small school guys), but I could understand if others want to go Joshua Jackson.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I will say Hurst gave me pause when I looked through both lists.

Hurst is a 4-3 d tackle, darn near every board projects him as a fit for that scheme. Unless we're changing from a 3-4...... pass on Hurst

26 minutes ago, Eric said:

Hurst is a 4-3 d tackle, darn near every board projects him as a fit for that scheme. Unless we're changing from a 3-4...... pass on Hurst

This is the kind of foolish thinking that led to numerous teams passing on Aaron Donald in the 2014 draft.  Donald just had one of his best years in a 3-4 scheme and was named Defensive Player of the Year.  Now, Hurst isn't as good as Donald as a prospect, but he is as close as I've seen since Donald was drafted.  Give me a game-wrecker and I'll be happy... I don't care what scheme we run.

17OS12-Hurst-dominance2.jpg

Hurst was a part of an outstanding Michigan defensive line in 2015 and 2016, and their deep defensive line rotation held him to only 760 total snaps over the two years. The Wolverines were rolling seven deep in productive defensive linemen and future NFL talents, but Hurst was the most productive player on the line on a snap-for-snap basis. The PFF grading pointed toward a dominant 2017 season for Hurst if given an expanded role and that’s exactly what he delivered. He posted a 96.5 overall grade, the best we’ve seen from an interior defensive lineman in four years of grading, on a career-high 643 snaps. He essentially took his 2015 and 2016 production and combined it into one year’s worth of dominance, while actually making a few more big plays on a snap-for-snap basis.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-maurice-hursts-pff-grading-suggests-hes-a-special-nfl-prospect

[EDITED BY MODERATOR: I know I've said in the past three paragraphs, but that's based on usual website paragraphs of one to two sentences. Basically, if it looks like a paragraph in a book, that's enough. If they look more like what you might see in a newspaper, a couple is fine. Three book sized paragraphs is not good]

29 minutes ago, Eric said:

1. You're a bit new around here, so you probably haven't seen where I bang on the drum for moving to a four man front.
  2. Even if we are going to stay with a 3-4 base (a mistake), we play over 2/3s of our time in a four man front.

Archived