5 Possibilities for Pick No. 14 in the 2018 NFL Draft

Bob Fox

In the 2018 NFL draft, which will be held April 26 though April 28 at AT&T Stadium, the Green Bay Packers will be doing something that they haven’t done since 2009. That is, making a selection in the first round among the top 15 players being picked. The Packers will pick at No. 14 this year, while in 2009, they picked at No. 9, when the team selected defensive lineman B.J. Raji.

New general manager Brian Gutekunst of the Packers has to be licking his chops.

Since 2009 and in the eight NFL drafts since then, the Packers have never been able to pick below No. 21 in the first round. From 2010 through 2017, the Packers have picked at No. 23, No. 32, No. 28, No. 26, No. 21, No. 30, No. 27 and No. 33 (had No. 29 but traded back into the first pick of Round 2).

That selection record tells you that the Packers have been pretty successful since the 2009 NFL draft. Since then, the Packers have gone 94-49-1 in the regular season, have won five NFC North titles, have been to the playoff eight times, have been in three NFC title games (winning one) and also won Super Bowl XLV.

The Packers should be able to select a great prospect at pick No. 14 in the upcoming draft, in which I will list five possible prospects. I am using the horizontal draft board (best players overall) put together by NFL scout Chris Landry to help me in determining who to select and choose from. Every NFL team has their own horizontal draft board that is put together before the draft.

To read the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/green-bay-packers-5-possibilities-for-pick-no-14-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

Besides the grade Chris Landry gave Fitzpatrick, I have had an opportunity to see Fitzpatrick play on a number of occasions, living here in the heart of SEC country. Based on what I have seen, Fitzy is a stud. But one never knows, especially with defensive backs from Alabama. Bottom line, I trust Landry's judgement. :)

25 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The only one I wouldn't be terribly happy with is Fitzpatrick. I think he's a jack of all trades, master of none type of player. I don't see him being an impact player in the NFL and we need an impact player. 

This is what makes the Malcolm Jenkins comp so intriguing. From what I understand Jenkins kind of didn’t live up to the pick for the Saints, but he’s invaluable to the Eagles. So did the scheme change matter, was he a late bloomer, or has his value as a tweener increased as the game has changed?

The Packers should run to the stage to draft a Guard?

Image result for ron swanson gifs

Review of Minkah Fitzpatrick,

"I think he's better than Jalen Ramsey"

Image result for turn off computer gif

Review of Trumaine Edmunds

"Edmunds would play OLB for the Packers"

"I don't like his instincts to play inside"

Review of Denzel Ward

"No one has better ball skills" 

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Packers should run to the stage to draft a Guard?

Review of Minkah Fitzpatrick,

"I think he's better than Jalen Ramsey"

Image result for turn off computer gif

Review of Trumaine Edmunds

"Edmunds would play OLB for the Packers"

"I don't like his instincts to play inside"

Review of Denzel Ward

"No one has better ball skills" 

It's opposite day!

Fitz and James are my two off this list. Fitz has been a stud since he first walked out onto the field for Alabama. I think we'll have to trade up to get him though. James is the more realistic pick.

55 minutes ago, Joe said:

Fitz and James are my two off this list. Fitz has been a stud since he first walked out onto the field for Alabama. I think we'll have to trade up to get him though. James is the more realistic pick.

There's an argument to be made that if you consider Jalen Ramsey a CB, that Derwin James was the best college Safety in America his true freshman season. I think you give the nod to Jamal Adams, but let's not act like Derwin James wasn't a damn stud from day 1 as well. 

I guess I see what falls but this year I'd start making phone calls at pick #10 if Ward is still there and I'd  toss them our third. To me he'd help this team the most. But I guess it all depends who's all left. There may be one surprise pick in the bunch that shakes some things up even more. Mathmatically if pick #10 comes around and there are still 5 covetable guys left maybe I'd stay, but my guy for this team is Ward and I'd go get him. 

I have seen Vita Vea in a couple games and I really thought he didnt stand out much. I had heard so much about him that I tried to focus on him as best I could and again I just didnt see any dominance why does he always show up on these lists? Daron Payne seemed down right dominate at times against SEC teams Id take him over Vea.

I would pick Edmunds, Ward or possibly Davenport it depends on if the packers think he can contribute right away. I tend to think the order of importance is/should be the defenders closest to the qb and working backwords toward the secondary. This only applies if you dont have a special DB, if ward is special then sure he will help but if he isnt, perhaps pressure from up front would be more beneficial so either edmunds or davenport would be the pick in this case.

2 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I guess I see what falls but this year I'd start making phone calls at pick #10 if Ward is still there and I'd  toss them our third. To me he'd help this team the most. But I guess it all depends who's all left. There may be one surprise pick in the bunch that shakes some things up even more. Mathmatically if pick #10 comes around and there are still 5 covetable guys left maybe I'd stay, but my guy for this team is Ward and I'd go get him. 

Insert Chubb for me and I agree. Now, the difference is, Fitzpatrick has a chance to be there at 10, Chubb probably none. I really think we need to get a pass rusher more than anything. Not sure Fitzpatrick can settle into a position. Of course, I'm no genius, I only pretend to be one. 

Like most drafts, the guy they pick will not line up with who I'm banging the table for. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not. All the time I'll be hoping the guy we take helps the team and becomes a difference maker. 

If we go offense, I'll be violently ill! 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Insert Chubb for me and I agree. Now, the difference is, Fitzpatrick has a chance to be there at 10, Chubb probably none. I really think we need to get a pass rusher more than anything. Not sure Fitzpatrick can settle into a position. Of course, I'm no genius, I only pretend to be one. 

Like most drafts, the guy they pick will not line up with who I'm banging the table for. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not. All the time I'll be hoping the guy we take helps the team and becomes a difference maker. 

If we go offense, I'll be violently ill! 

The only way I see Chubb getting to # 10 is if he posts a pic of FACEBOOK the day of the draft smoking marijuana in a snorkeling outfit. 

Archived