Who gets drafted lower or higher then expected

49erurtaza

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Lamar Jackson drops to the 2nd day possibly 3rd round because his mom is keeping him hostage. 

"My baby ain't meeting with no one, only thing he meets is that endzone and you gotta pay to get a glimpse of that liaison honey". "We'll see you when that clock start Cleveland, then Felicia ull be ready to meetcha"

Even if it was that bad I don't think he'd make it to Round 3 lol.

25 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

"My baby ain't meeting with no one, only thing he meets is that endzone and you gotta pay to get a glimpse of that liaison honey". "We'll see you when that clock start Cleveland, then Felicia ull be ready to meetcha"

Even if it was that bad I don't think he'd make it to Round 3 lol.

Maybe not. Yea but that is a sign of immaturity to teams. I understand not wanting to be taken advantage of but this guy is a QB. The face of a franchise. If he cant find the confidence to sign an agent or make his own mother do what she needs to do. How is he gonna be the face of a franchise? I mean it's not like he doesn't have resources at Louisville, guys from the NFLPA could throw suggestions his way and help him out to find legit representation. 

I'm not saying he is stupid or a bad guy. But that screams insecurity to me. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I'm not saying he is stupid or a bad guy. But that screams insecurity to me. 

I agree. If a guy can't man up and take control of his pre-draft process, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when owners are looking for a franchise leader. 

God would it be funny if he started going full boat with it though. Like he's demanding for his mom to be his QB coach and a wide receiver on the team. Oh would that be great. He's just some lunatic lol.

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

On Daniel Jeremiah's podcast, the names they've heard who could go higher than expected were Ronnie Harrison and DJ Moore. 

What even counts as "higher than expected" for Moore, though? Since the combine, he's been a first-round fixture in most mocks I've seen(and I was starting to hear more and more talk of him going that early even before he tested so well).

For a fall, I could see Rosen slipping a bit after 2 concussions and a separated shoulder. He is immobile in the pocket and that could scare a few teams off of him!

As a riser, I could see Lamar Jackson going as high as #12 to Buffalo and no later than #15 to Arizona. Just maybe, Buffalo traded up to #12 to bypass Arizona in their quest for Jackson???

I think Nelson could slide a bit based on positional value!

I fully expect McGlinchey to slip to round 2 as his pass blocking just isn't all that great!

Guice could go higher than late round 1!

Roquan Smith looks to be a faller with medical concerns!

Finally, if Maurice Hurst passes all his pro physicals, he could also go pretty high!

I've got Lamar Jackson falling out of the first round and probably entering some sort of mini free fall. Electrifying as he may be, this is becoming a laughable clusterbang with him and his mom. Scouts and teams are starting to irritated and dynamics like this have recently led to trouble- (Eli Apple for example). No team is going to WANT to deal with that. It isn't like Lamar's mom is a renowned football identity like Archie Manning was (and even that was irritating to listen to). 

IMO, and this can be called a hot take if you so choose:

Lamar Jackson is a slightly built running QB. We've seen it fail. A lot. Rarely has that kind of "electric" talent made a huge difference in the NFL. Lamar is fast and has a good arm. But in recent memory, we've seen guys who, while not as fast, were every bit as good of athletes (be it size/strength, size/speed, size/speed/strength) fail to live up to expectations. Kaepernick, Griffin, Newton (outside of some really good moments and that 1 really good year), Locker... Now, I don't mean to say that quarterbacks in these molds are sure to fail, as we've seen Wilson and Vick and others play very well. But lets be honest, it isn't the norm. If that's the only thing Jackson has to bring to the table, he's already facing an uphill battle of skepticism from scouts and GMs. 

His pre-draft process is becoming a bizarre headache. Not Adam Muema levels of head scratching yet, but certainly not what anyone would expect from a "franchise" guy. If this were a year where every franchise QB prospect was a choir boy, maybe Jackson's process comes off as just a little quirky. But we're talking a class with Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield. And they're showing up and from what I've read, really impressing people. Maybe it is a bit unfair, but I truly think GMs are going to look at that and think "man, those 2 can show up and do their thing like adults, why can't Lamar?". Simply put, he's being shown up by his competition. Whatever gamble he was trying to take, it's backfiring. At best, he's coming off as a borderline momma's boy who is willing to take a backseat and allow Rome to burn around him. At worst, he's really that immature and incapable of making sound, rational, mature decisions. There just isn't any way this is going to not wind up haunting him somehow, and I personally find it unfortunate and detrimental to him later on. 

The Wonderlic is meh in all honesty. I've taken a mock one and made a 38 on it. I can't say its the "official" one, but what I took certainly had nothing to do with football. It's kind of like the LSAT in a way. But Lamar's poor performance on it, coupled with the mom stuff, his particular playing style, and his odd reluctance to run just all adds up to a bad look. At the combine, he claimed he would run a 4.3. I want to say I heard on the radio he recently said "go watch my film" or something akin to that. He's beginning to come off as cocky or arrogant if that's the case. We all know Rosen can throw. We all know Allen can throw. We all know Darnold is fairly mobile. If you don't want to go through drills because of what people already "know", it just comes across poorly. I don't think it's a character flaw, but I think he's not doing/saying the right things to the right people. Jacoby Brissett didn't hire an agent either, but his business dealings haven't been the dramedy that Jackson's has become.  

I think Lamar is personally ok (I don't know him), but he's proving to be an oddball with a rebellious-ish streak that isn't doing himself any justice. When the time comes, I feel like someone who wanted to take him early might just decide to wait rather than stake their career on this kid at this point. Nothing to do with talent at all, but the off field pre-draft process is becoming a bit concerning. He was a guy who's style was already being heavily scrutinized (or they wouldn't be fielding position switch questions at him) and while I think his heart is in the right place by wanting to show that he's a QB-first, the way he's going about it is a turn off. He had the most to gain by having solid interviews and workouts and he's literally sitting on the sidelines like Malcolm Butler, watching the situation unfold. 

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I've got Lamar Jackson falling out of the first round and probably entering some sort of mini free fall. Electrifying as he may be, this is becoming a laughable clusterbang with him and his mom. Scouts and teams are starting to irritated and dynamics like this have recently led to trouble- (Eli Apple for example). No team is going to WANT to deal with that. It isn't like Lamar's mom is a renowned football identity like Archie Manning was (and even that was irritating to listen to). 

IMO, and this can be called a hot take if you so choose:

Lamar Jackson is a slightly built running QB. We've seen it fail. A lot. Rarely has that kind of "electric" talent made a huge difference in the NFL. Lamar is fast and has a good arm. But in recent memory, we've seen guys who, while not as fast, were every bit as good of athletes (be it size/strength, size/speed, size/speed/strength) fail to live up to expectations. Kaepernick, Griffin, Newton (outside of some really good moments and that 1 really good year), Locker... Now, I don't mean to say that quarterbacks in these molds are sure to fail, as we've seen Wilson and Vick and others play very well. But lets be honest, it isn't the norm. If that's the only thing Jackson has to bring to the table, he's already facing an uphill battle of skepticism from scouts and GMs. 

His pre-draft process is becoming a bizarre headache. Not Adam Muema levels of head scratching yet, but certainly not what anyone would expect from a "franchise" guy. If this were a year where every franchise QB prospect was a choir boy, maybe Jackson's process comes off as just a little quirky. But we're talking a class with Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield. And they're showing up and from what I've read, really impressing people. Maybe it is a bit unfair, but I truly think GMs are going to look at that and think "man, those 2 can show up and do their thing like adults, why can't Lamar?". Simply put, he's being shown up by his competition. Whatever gamble he was trying to take, it's backfiring. At best, he's coming off as a borderline momma's boy who is willing to take a backseat and allow Rome to burn around him. At worst, he's really that immature and incapable of making sound, rational, mature decisions. There just isn't any way this is going to not wind up haunting him somehow, and I personally find it unfortunate and detrimental to him later on. 

The Wonderlic is meh in all honesty. I've taken a mock one and made a 38 on it. I can't say its the "official" one, but what I took certainly had nothing to do with football. It's kind of like the LSAT in a way. But Lamar's poor performance on it, coupled with the mom stuff, his particular playing style, and his odd reluctance to run just all adds up to a bad look. At the combine, he claimed he would run a 4.3. I want to say I heard on the radio he recently said "go watch my film" or something akin to that. He's beginning to come off as cocky or arrogant if that's the case. We all know Rosen can throw. We all know Allen can throw. We all know Darnold is fairly mobile. If you don't want to go through drills because of what people already "know", it just comes across poorly. I don't think it's a character flaw, but I think he's not doing/saying the right things to the right people. Jacoby Brissett didn't hire an agent either, but his business dealings haven't been the dramedy that Jackson's has become.  

I think Lamar is personally ok (I don't know him), but he's proving to be an oddball with a rebellious-ish streak that isn't doing himself any justice. When the time comes, I feel like someone who wanted to take him early might just decide to wait rather than stake their career on this kid at this point. Nothing to do with talent at all, but the off field pre-draft process is becoming a bit concerning. He was a guy who's style was already being heavily scrutinized (or they wouldn't be fielding position switch questions at him) and while I think his heart is in the right place by wanting to show that he's a QB-first, the way he's going about it is a turn off. He had the most to gain by having solid interviews and workouts and he's literally sitting on the sidelines like Malcolm Butler, watching the situation unfold. 

You make some really good points especially for a position that always becomes the face of the franchise and if it was any other position I might just completely agree with you.

However, the NFL is a QB league and the position is so important, that some QB desperate team is going to take a flyer after being backed into a corner, when the 4 top QB's all go top 10.

After all, if Jackson has Vick's escapability, and considering he is a far more accurate QB than Vick, he would likely be a star at the next level and it only takes one team to take the risk. What is their alternative, if they have to go into the coming season with a piece of junk at QB, that will get both the HC and/or the GM fired pretty quickly anyway. At least fans will buy tickets to see how Lamar performs and owners really like that!!!

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think Mayfield falls to the 20s

0% chance. Who are the Browns, Giants, Jets, and Bills going to take in the 1st round? Even if he miraculously made it past #3, he's getting taken by either the Broncos at #5, Miami at #11, or the Bills at #12. And if all hell freezes over and he doesn't go to any of those squads, Arizona is taking him at #15. There's a much better chance he goes #1 overall than there is of him falling out of the top 20.

4 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

Mike Hughes goes Top 15

This would be shocking. He strikes me as a solid, yet unspectacular CB that doesn't have the physical tools to shut the freaks in the NFL down. His tape is really good, but I can't remember a cornerback going in the top half of the 1st round that wasn't standoutishly big or fast.

39 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

0% chance. Who are the Browns, Giants, Jets, and Bills going to take in the 1st round? Even if he miraculously made it past #3, he's getting taken by either the Broncos at #5, Miami at #11, or the Bills at #12. And if all hell freezes over and he doesn't go to any of those squads, Arizona is taking him at #15. There's a much better chance he goes #1 overall than there is of him falling out of the top 20.

I really think you’re underestimating the mindset of NFL teams.

Archived