Where would we be if the unprecedented didnt happen?

NJniners

I know its just a what if, but im sure im not the only one who thinks about what wouldve happenned had the unprecedented things from 4-5 years ago not happenned. Im talking about:

Willis retiring somewhat early

Borland retiring after one season

Harbaugh leaving after falling out with the Head Office

Aldon constantly being in trouble and eventually released

Would we have had a 6th ring by now?

I don't know, but the team had peaked by 2013. All the stuff that happened afterwards was kind of irrelevant. But lets say Bowman doesn't suffer that brutal injury, Willis doesn't have toe problems, Aldon isn't suspended, then we would have made another run in 2014. But a lot of things would have to go in our favor, including having AD/Iupati healthy as both were banged up for the entire 2014 season. I'd still say we would fall short and not win a ring. Our shot was 2011-2013 and we just couldn't get it done. Though I guess we wouldn't be the laughing stock of the NFL along with the Browns in 2015/2016 lol.

Our defense would have been better for longer, but what about our offense?  Colin wasn't exactly improving.  Let's be honest, he looked downright horrible there for some stretches.  However, since we're playing the "what if" game, our draft picks would have been more focused on the offense, including our deteriorating offensive line.  It's hard to say how that plays out.  I think we would have been competitive, but I'm not sure about superbowl contenders.  We still would have had to go through Seattle.  And, even when we were good, we couldn't get it done there.  Ring number 6?  Gun to my head, it's a no from me. 

It might be a bit hyperbolic or early...And rethought I have some reservations about our Personnel decisions, i'm far happier with Kyle than Harbaugh. Better offensive mind, willing to develop and play youngsters, cut throat with veterans who feel entitled or complacent, won't play guys just because of draft position.  

I agree I’m happier with Kyle than Jim as well. Granted a lot of it is because of what we know now, but a lot of ppl said they did not like playing for Jim, so I think a lot of retirements or not signing players after their contracts were up would have happened and we would have fallen anyways.

I’m more interested in knowing if Borland would have continued to produce, what would we have done at the LB position? Would we have traded Bowman or Willis at some point? 

As someone who bought a Borland jersey, I certainly felt confident he would have been at least as good as Sean Lee, who (when healthy) has been an excellent player. 

With that being said, if Willis and Bowman both don't get hurt then Borland rides the bench for a few years, and might not have quit. I say quit rather than retired because he had to go get another job to live his life, whereas Willis was set up financially and could theoretically go fishing every day for the rest of his life (Willis got a 9-5 in tech because he's the hardest working guy in every room he resides in). Part of the reason Borland said he felt ready to 'retire' was because during that last half of his rookie season he proved to himself that he could be a successful NFL player. So if Willis doesn't get hurt, Borland doesn't quit - at least not after one season (and I wouldn't have a certain jersey buried in my closet). 

As for the question at hand, harbaugh obviously wore on people. Boone's comment about climbing the mountain pretty much summed it up (even if we hadn't reached the pinnacle), so I'm not sure how much longer we would have been able to keep the band together. 

Harbaughand Greg Roman certainly had creative play designs in 2011 and 2012, but the way harbaugh had play calls set up was asinine. He had one coach calling run plays, one coach calling pass plays, one short yardage, one red zone combined with the multiple play calls in the huddle where the QB would 'kill' one. It was too cumbersome and caused too many problems. Especially because some of those coaches were in the booth and had to relay the plays to harbaugh who would then relay them to the QB. It was freaking archiac and slow. It's why we had so many problems with delay of games and it hindered a lot of presnap stuff that you need to do to be successful in the NFL. Harbaugh never seemed to get that and he was too content killing clock and kicking FGs. That was great in the 80s and 90s, but in the modern NFL you have to score points to win.

Witha defense like the one we had, we would have been competitive. I mean s***, Aldon Smith would be on the HOF track had he not had substance abuse problems. Not to mention Willis (Hof lock) and Bowman was certainly on track for the HOF before the injury as well. And if baalke actually f***ing hit on some draft picks we might have been able to replace some of the guys we lost and sustained at least that side of the ball for a few years, but it might not have amounted to anything substantial. 

2011-2013 were some of the best, most complete teams I've ever seen. That defense does not get enough credit from a historical standpoint. Hitner, goldson, Carlos Rodgers, culliver, Ray McDonald, the cowboy, a motivated Ahmad Brooks, Willis, bow, Aldon, gore, Vernon etc... All great players. 

I think the better question is, what would have happened if we won the Superbowl in 2012?? Would harbaugh have been given free reign? Would baalke have lost the power struggle because harbaugh would have been the guy to put #6 in the trophy case? 

I am a firm believer that if Alex Smith started the Superbowl that we would have won (wouldn't have fallen behind so far). Or if baalke would have drafted alshon Jeffrey over AJ Jenkins. The problem is that we wouldn't have come back against Atlanta in the NFCCG without kaep, so its somewhat of a connundrum. 

AHMAD BRADSHAW FUMBLED

Interesting topic though, thanks for bringing up the old wounds lol

I for one am confident that we have a better coach and QB leading us now, which means we have a better chance for sustained success. So from that standpoint I wouldn't change anything because it would have meant not being where we are today. I say that to my girlfriend all of the time, I wouldn't change any of my crazy exes etc etc because it would mean changing the present, which has a chance to be 10x better.

Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it

On 3/29/2018 at 1:29 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know, but the team had peaked by 2013. All the stuff that happened afterwards was kind of irrelevant. But lets say Bowman doesn't suffer that brutal injury, Willis doesn't have toe problems, Aldon isn't suspended, then we would have made another run in 2014. But a lot of things would have to go in our favor, including having AD/Iupati healthy as both were banged up for the entire 2014 season. I'd still say we would fall short and not win a ring. Our shot was 2011-2013 and we just couldn't get it done. Though I guess we wouldn't be the laughing stock of the NFL along with the Browns in 2015/2016 lol.

After all has been said and done, I really think Jimbo is like Andy Reid. He's good enough to win games, get you to the big game but for some odd reasons, his teams never finish the job... 

After losing to the Giants in the 2011 NFCCG, the one missing piece was a deep threat, a playmaking WR. I still say to this day that trading away the 30th overall draft pick to PIT for Mike Wallace at the time would have been a far better move than drafting Jenkins/signing Moss and Manningham. Wallace would have spread out the Ravens defense and would have given them more problems and not be able to stack the box either like they did a lot of times.

Either we end up losing which happened anyway or Wallace puts us over enough to win our 6th SB title and even if Wallace was gone as a UFA (he was a RFA in the 2012 off season) and was basically a one year rental for our 30th overall draft pick, I would have been completely fine with that. Sacrifice our 30th overall draft pick for a one year rental and our 6th SB title!!! Hell yeah!!! Oh well, that's all in the past now. :(

Archived