2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

After Gruden's comments about OT being one of the biggest needs, what are people's opinions on the tackles in this draft? I've seen a few mocks with us picking up Mcglinchey. How do people feel about him at 10? I think that's a bit rich for him and as much as it would make some sense, with all the other impact players we could pick up at that point, I think I'd be a little disappointed if he was the pick.

I’m going on record and saying Raiders will draft an OT at #10.

They addressed a lot of needs through free agency ( LB, WR and secondary) but the OTs are a mess and with no depth. The OT‘s situation is so dismal right now Raiders might draft 2 OTs this year.

Carr has shown to be Injury prone over the years and needs to be protected at all costs.

Mike McGlinchey isn’t a franchise LT but he’s pretty close. He’s  a 3 years starter who has showed improvement every year in college.

If he pans out the Raiders can cut Penn and save 5 million.

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

After Gruden's comments about OT being one of the biggest needs, what are people's opinions on the tackles in this draft? I've seen a few mocks with us picking up Mcglinchey. How do people feel about him at 10? I think that's a bit rich for him and as much as it would make some sense, with all the other impact players we could pick up at that point, I think I'd be a little disappointed if he was the pick.

I don't want him at 10. Notre Dame coaches said he's more comfortable at RT. That's worrisome at 10 overall. IMO, there are going to be some impact type players at 10 and T is not one of them in this draft.

Raiders are in a tough spot at OT. This class is weak. You have to dig deep. I honestly haven't found one that I like yet. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't want him at 10. Notre Dame coaches said he's more comfortable at RT. That's worrisome at 10 overall. IMO, there are going to be some impact type players at 10 and T is not one of them in this draft.

Raiders are in a tough spot at OT. This class is weak. You have to dig deep. I honestly haven't found one that I like yet. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Both times Jon Gruden went to a new team this first pick was an OT.

Matt Stinchcomb with the Raiders.

Kenyatta Walker with Tampa Bay.

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Both times Jon Gruden went to a new team this first pick was an OT.

Matt Stinchcomb with the Raiders.

Kenyatta Walker with Tampa Bay.

That's not really telling of anything. Neither were top 10 picks. The value has to be there. I don't think they will see it with this class at 10.

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's not really telling of anything. Neither were top 10 picks. The value has to be there. I don't think they will see it with this class at 10.

There’s a lot of mocks with him going low to mid teens so it’s not such a big reach.

32 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

There’s a lot of mocks with him going low to mid teens so it’s not such a big reach.

But still a reach due to the sheer quality of players available after the QBs. Players 6/7 through to our pick and just after are way ahead of the rest of the class imo. If we assume 3/4 QBs are going with Nelson, Chubb and Barkley, that leaves: Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Smith, Edmunds, Vea as what I view as real difference makers. I would be delighted with any of them and can honestly say I wouldn't really care too much which one of them we got. I think there is a bit of a drop off after these guys and why I posted about Mcglinchey as I see him as someone in that next tier in which I would be pretty disappointed if we selected them at 10 as I don't see him as a difference maker. An upgrade at a position of need, but not anywhere near as good and potentially impactful as the guys in the tier above.

I do have a gut feeling he might be the pick though for the reasons you described regarding Carr's health. It might end up being such a concern that they move him up the board as a result. Hope not!

50 minutes ago, reddevil said:

But still a reach due to the sheer quality of players available after the QBs. Players 6/7 through to our pick and just after are way ahead of the rest of the class imo. If we assume 3/4 QBs are going with Nelson, Chubb and Barkley, that leaves: Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Smith, Edmunds, Vea as what I view as real difference makers. I would be delighted with any of them and can honestly say I wouldn't really care too much which one of them we got. I think there is a bit of a drop off after these guys and why I posted about Mcglinchey as I see him as someone in that next tier in which I would be pretty disappointed if we selected them at 10 as I don't see him as a difference maker. An upgrade at a position of need, but not anywhere near as good and potentially impactful as the guys in the tier above.

I do have a gut feeling he might be the pick though for the reasons you described regarding Carr's health. It might end up being such a concern that they move him up the board as a result. Hope not!

You are right he is a step below everyone else but what other  options  do we have?

The Raiders can’t risk waiting for an OTs to be cut after the draft,   That may never happen and if it does they may not want to come to Oakland.

The bottom line is Carr Is the franchise and he had two major injuries in the last two years and the Raiders have a shaky O-line.

I’d be down with going trenches first two rounds but I feel like the value lies in going defense in the first. Whether it’s Vea at ten or Hurst/Payne in a trade down scenario, I think the value is better. I would love a guy like Jamarco Jones in the second. Apparently he’s a more left tackle type than the first round guys but really flying under the radar.

6 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

I’d be down with going trenches first two rounds but I feel like the value lies in going defense in the first. Whether it’s Vea at ten or Hurst/Payne in a trade down scenario, I think the value is better. I would love a guy like Jamarco Jones in the second. Apparently he’s a more left tackle type than the first round guys but really flying under the radar.

Jamarco Jones is an interesting player. He's one of the few tackles in college who uses a vertical kick step in pass protection and he's very technically sound, overall. Despite having 35"+ arms, he plays under control: which isn't something you always see with long armed players. He is a limited athlete and will sometimes get beat clean off the snap despite his technical prowess. It was a bit surprising to me that he came in under 300 lbs. at the combine; he looks and plays heavier. Still, I believe the tackle position is all about game-to-game competence. He and Tyrell Crosby (I have Crosby rated higher) are the guys I'm target at 2.41 if the Raiders don't go tackle in round 1. Jones will get beat time to time, but he can provide a steady presence on the left side for a long time. My comp for him is Russell Okung.

Archived