2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

51 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Cut-ups show down and distance and game time. You can easily discern when a player gets pulled. Even knowing Vea won't be in on every down, I'd still take his relative part time excellence over Phillips' full-time mediocrity.

Having an elite trait goes a long way in the NFL. Vea can get in better shape, but Phillips will never be as big and strong. Vea already has twice the pass rush moves Phillips does. In the same game, Vea shows both a right hand and left hand club, and a swim move to go with his dominant bull rush. We've also seen Vea chain his moves with relative regularity. Still, his bull rush alone would give at least half of the starting NFL interior linemen fits on a down to down basis. His arms won't be a problem in the NFL. Brandon Williams, Aaron Donald, Mike Daniels, Geno Atkins, Jurrell Casey, etc. all have sub 33" arms.

Your criticisms of Vea ring as odd considering I assume you're high on Phillips; who is comparatively mundane mundane.

Keep in mind you're comparing 2 guys one you'd take at "pick10" (vita) and one of take in the" early 3rd round"(phil).

1) you're ok with vita maybe only becoming a 2 down guy. I'm not. Imo top 10 picks must be 3 down guys. Rather take Phil.

2) a2d about pass moves. Phil is a well noted film junkie who constantly perfects his craft which is reflected in his growth stat wise from Jr to sr year. Rather take Phil.

3) arm length youre comparing him to guys I didn't. I compare his arm length to bigger guys like suh, star, haloti who all have longer arms. Phil has the arms with 42 bench

Again I wouldnt hate vea at 10 but I thought he grow more in 2017. Maybe look at some 2016 cut ups too so you can see the lack of growth...

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Keep in mind you're comparing 2 guys one you'd take at "pick10" (vita) and one of take in the" early 3rd round"(phil).

1) you're ok with vita maybe only becoming a 2 down guy. I'm not. Imo top 10 picks must be 3 down guys. Rather take Phil.

2) a2d about pass moves. Phil is a well noted film junkie who constantly perfects his craft which is reflected in his growth stat wise from Jr to sr year. Rather take Phil.

3) arm length youre comparing him to guys I didn't. I compare his arm length to bigger guys like suh, star, haloti who all have longer arms. Phil has the arms with 42 bench

Again I wouldnt hate vea at 10 but I thought he grow more in 2017. Maybe look at some 2016 cut ups too so you can see the lack of growth...

The term "2 down guy" is disingenuous to how I described Vea and to how he played at Washington. Vea would be in on the vast majority of downs. I wouldn't put him in on long passing downs where I'd rather have 4 end types. I'd also want to test his game shape before I put him in on 2-minute in the NFL. That said, I'd play Phillips even less on than Vea. Phillips would be behind at least Edwards and Vanderdoes for snaps.

Your second point is irrelevant concerning Phillips' pass rush moves. He would watch a weeks worth of film straight and it still wouldn't fix his tepid pass rush.

Since you're moving the goalposts on arm length, here are some names for you: Kenny Clark, Brandon Williams, Dontari Poe. The 33" arm length benchmark has proven to be a misnomer all along the defensive line. Vea's 32 5/8" arms aren't, and haven't proven to be, a problem. 

Going back to Phillips: I seriously doubt he'll turn in a career worthy of even a 3rd round pick. If I must take a defensive tackle in the third round, give me R.J. McIntosh and Andrew Brown over him, easily.

15 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The term "2 down guy" is disingenuous to how I described Vea and to how he played at Washington. Vea would be in on the vast majority of downs. I wouldn't put him in on long passing downs where I'd rather have 4 end types. I'd also want to test his game shape before I put him in on 2-minute in the NFL. That said, I'd play Phillips even less on than Vea. Phillips would be behind at least Edwards and Vanderdoes for snaps.

Your second point is irrelevant concerning Phillips' pass rush moves. He would watch a weeks worth of film straight and it still wouldn't fix his tepid pass rush.

Since you're moving the goalposts on arm length, here are some names for you: Kenny Clark, Brandon Williams, Dontari Poe. The 33" arm length benchmark has proven to be a misnomer all along the defensive line. Vea's 32 5/8" arms aren't, and haven't proven to be, a problem. 

Going back to Phillips: I seriously doubt he'll turn in a career worthy of even a 3rd round pick. If I must take a defensive tackle in the third round, give me R.J. McIntosh and Andrew Brown over him, easily.

Phil aka "Mr tepid pass rusher" lol has double the sacks as vita in 2017 in the same conf ....

19 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Buy why? What does Vea do better than Phillips?

Vea has more potential/athletic ability. Just rather not take a chance @10 on him unless its no other choice. I think you can get similar production for less with phil in the 3rd.

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Just to divert from the 10th overall conversation a bit: what are some round 3-5 prospects we like?

Mid Round Guys (3-5)

Antonio Callaway, WR Florida

Holton Hill, CB Texas

Skai Moore, OLB South Carolina

RJ Macintosh, DT Miami

DeShon Elliot, S Texas

Josh Sweat, DE Florida State

Tarvarus McFadden, Florida State

Rasheem Greene, USC

Andrew Brown, Virginia

Mark Walton, RB Miami

Brandon Parker, OT NC A&T

Nathan Shepher, DT Fort Hayes St.

Chad Thomas, DE Miami

JC Jackson, CB Maryland

John Kelly, RB Tennessee

Late Rounds (5-7)

Kylie Fitts, DE Utah

Matthew Thomas, Florida State

Dimitri Flowers, FB Oklahoma

Braxton Berrios, WR Miami

Maea Teuhema, G SE Louisiana (formerly LSU)

Daylon Mack, DT Texas A&M

JaVon Rolland-Jones, Edge Arkansas State

Shaun Dion-Hamilton, LB Alabama

Davontae Harris, CB Illinois State

Peter Kalambayi, LB Stanford

JK Scott, P Alabama

4 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Mid Round Guys (3-5)

Antonio Callaway, WR Florida

Holton Hill, CB Texas

Skai Moore, OLB South Carolina

RJ Macintosh, DT Miami

DeShon Elliot, S Texas

Josh Sweat, DE Florida State

Tarvarus McFadden, Florida State

Rasheem Greene, USC

Andrew Brown, Virginia

Mark Walton, RB Miami

Brandon Parker, OT NC A&T

Nathan Shepher, DT Fort Hayes St.

Chad Thomas, DE Miami

JC Jackson, CB Maryland

John Kelly, RB Tennessee

Late Rounds (5-7)

Kylie Fitts, DE Utah

Matthew Thomas, Florida State

Dimitri Flowers, FB Oklahoma

Braxton Berrios, WR Miami

Maea Teuhema, G SE Louisiana (formerly LSU)

Daylon Mack, DT Texas A&M

JaVon Rolland-Jones, Edge Arkansas State

Shaun Dion-Hamilton, LB Alabama

Davontae Harris, CB Illinois State

Peter Kalambayi, LB Stanford

JK Scott, P Alabama

I would take Rasheem Green in R2. Him and Arden Key, I like a lot there. Both have sky high ceilings.

Holton Hill, I like a lot.
Calloway is huge red flags, but I like him on the field.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Just to divert from the 10th overall conversation a bit: what are some round 3-5 prospects we like?

RBs: Penny, Freeman

WRs: Pettis, Cain, Hamilton

DEs: Lewis, Sweat

LBs: Kiser, Warner, Avery, Leonard 

CBs: Dawson, Harris, Hill, Haley

S: Igwebuike

Archived