2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders trade DE Jihad Ward to Dallas for WR/KR/PR Ryan Switzer.

lol... what a horrible round 2 pick that was

Ward for Switzer straight up? I'll take that all day. It was very clear that Ward had no future here. What a waste of a pick but I like getting something for him while we can. 

8 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Ward for Switzer straight up? I'll take that all day. It was very clear that Ward had no future here. What a waste of a pick but I like getting something for him while we can. 

Yes a few people here really liked Switzer as a slot WR

So we ended up with 4 guys that can be considered 1st round talent, but 3 with a big asterix.

• OT Kolton Miller - Not sexy, a reach at 15 and not enough value in the trade down. But also expected to go in the first round
  • DT Maurice Hurst - 1st round talent, but a heart condition
  • Edge Arden Key - 1st round talent but big off field issues
  • WR Bryant - - 1st round PROVEN talent  but big off field issues & just 1 cheap year left

If these guys can play to what our FO sees in them we instantly got better. 

8 minutes ago, Roninho said:

So we ended up with 4 guys that can be considered 1st round talent, but 3 with a big asterix.

• OT Kolton Miller - Not sexy, a reach at 15 and not enough value in the trade down. But also expected to go in the first round
  • DT Maurice Hurst - 1st round talent, but a heart condition
  • Edge Arden Key - 1st round talent but big off field issues
  • WR Bryant - - 1st round PROVEN talent  but big off field issues & just 1 cheap year left

If these guys can play to what our FO sees in them we instantly got better. 

Not only that, but Nick Nelson is widely considered a 2nd round pick, he was just held back playing time from an injury this year. 

19 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

And how many other teams did not clear him.  Him falling to 5th shows that at least some did not.  He was also not cleared at the combine and in school.  He could have an extremely dangerous condition and never have an issue.  It is all statistics and what degree of risk you are willing to take.  I have no clue what he has but if names like Hank Gathers and Nick Fairley are comparable then it is serious.  Since you seem to think doctors can rule out all risk just remember that Gathers went through extensive testing after his episode and then cleared before he collapsed and died on the court.  Even with a condition like Gathers the chance of sudden cardiac arrest is very small but huge compared to an average person.

We don't know how many teams didn't clear him. Only that 31 other teams didn't take him before we did. He was cleared at school or they wouldn't have let him play. and after the combine he was cleared by multiple doctors in the field. Just because a name is used doesn't mean they have even close to the same situation unless that is specifically said. It wasn't in Gathers or Fairly case I believe(I don't claim to know every story or tweet out there). I definitely don't think doctors can rule out all risk but they can make recommendations and advise organizations. And top doctors in the field have said that he is good to go and let him play 4 years of college ball and after the combine said that he is good to go for the pros.

Great pick and just like any player we add, we hope he has a long successful career. The risk reward factor was played out in the fact that he has 1st rd talent and we got him in the 5th rd.

Archived