Trade idea with New York Giants?

Epic

So I know that the New York Giants are looking for a Running Back and from all reports, they are unhappy with Eli Apple.   I know Apple is a bit outspoken (supposedly) but so was Talib.

How about we offer C.J. Anderson and a 4th Round pick, for Eli Apple and a 5th from New York?  Seems that they are willing to part with Apple and they would get a 4th rounder in the deal with C.J., a decent cold weather runner, who is still only 26.

It may be a longshot, but Apple has fallen way out of favor, despite being a talented player.  Make no mistake, we will be drafting a CB at some point for sure. 

Any chance something like this could happen?  What do you guys think?

Do not think we can compare Talib's outspoken personality to Apple's. Plus, Talib was a proven corner. However, if you want to talk about Apple as a young, talent, then okay...and if you want to trade CJ who will get cut anyway to get Apple..then maybe that's a good conversation.

But what do you do with Roby. He deserves to start outside...he's bided his time. Unless you think Apple should play nickle?

I am not sure the value lines up, Apple has 2 more years with a $4ish mil cap hit, and the 5th year option - Anderson has 2 years left at $4.5mil. PFF graded him at a 73, for whatever that is worth. I just think an average CB has much more value than an average RB. 

I do like the creativity of the deal though, and obviously "value" is all speculative. Maybe it is just the 4th and we don't get a 5th back that evens the deal out?

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Apple is playing on his rookie deal, he's shown that he can be an effective player on-field, NYG would unload for a bargain, and we aren't in a position to contend immediately anyway. I think Apple is a great buy-low candidate. 

@ bMiller.  That is my point exactly.  We should definitely inquire because he is a great buy-low candidate.   Also, I just know that we are going to draft a CB, so instead of drafting one early (like Elway might do), we get a known commodity, lessening the need on draft weekend.

CJ has literally no trade value at his career stage and salary unless it’s Mike Tannebaum and his infatuation with CJ (MIA made the RFA offer Elway decided to match).   NYG are the team that  hangs up at that call. 

I get Apple has huge off the field flags.   But that’s the only way you get young talent in their rookie deal cheaply.   I don’t see the G-men taking that but that’s the type of risk we need to consider if it’s not costing big picks or big $.   No way that’s enough for him though.   

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

CJ has literally no trade value at his career stage and salary unless it’s Mike Tannebaum and his infatuation with CJ (MIA made the RFA offer Elway decided to match).   NYG are the team that  hangs up at that call. 

I get Apple has huge off the field flags.   But that’s the only way you get young talent in their rookie deal cheaply.   I don’t see the G-men taking that but that’s the type of risk we need to consider if it’s not costing big picks or big $.   No way that’s enough for him though.   

CJ just came off his first season rushing for over 1,000 yards.  Unless, the Giants plan to take Barkley...who else is going to run for them.  Even if they take a Nick Chubb...it would be good for them to have a vet to pair with.  I think CJ has a bit of trade value...maybe not land a former #1 pick value...but, I think he has value.  I think CJ gets traded to someone in need of a veteran RB. 

22 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

CJ just came off his first season rushing for over 1,000 yards.  Unless, the Giants plan to take Barkley...who else is going to run for them.  Even if they take a Nick Chubb...it would be good for them to have a vet to pair with.  I think CJ has a bit of trade value...maybe not land a former #1 pick value...but, I think he has value.  I think CJ gets traded to someone in need of a veteran RB. 

I agree that he has some value.  In this day and age, the way running backs drop like flies, CJ does have some value.  Hell, we got a 4th Round pick from SF for Kapri Bibbs :)  I'm not saying we are going something like that, but a good character guy like Anderson, who is 26, coming off a 1,000 yard campaign - running behind our horrendous line and lots of 8 man fronts due to poor qb play - there has to be a team (Miami, Patriots, Giants, Seahawks just to name a few).  Any of those teams might want to bring in a guy like him (for a 5th rounder or so). 

The Patriots also seem like a decent fit.  I still remember CJ breaking a run against Belechick and his boys in the snow on a Monday night game when we took down Touchdown Tommy and the Pats.  CJ would be a nice 1st/2nd down back for them.

Back to the original deal with NYG, I would offer CJ and the low 4th for Apple straight up.  Especially if we have Saquon possibly in orange and blue.  Besides, we will take another rb regardless.

While I'm high on Booker, he still doesn't wow me that much.  He seems very average to me. 

3 minutes ago, Epic said:

I agree that he has some value.  In this day and age, the way running backs drop like flies, CJ does have some value.  Hell, we got a 4th Round pick from SF for Kapri Bibbs :)  I'm not saying we are going something like that, but a good character guy like Anderson, who is 26, coming off a 1,000 yard campaign - running behind our horrendous line and lots of 8 man fronts due to poor qb play - there has to be a team (Miami, Patriots, Giants, Seahawks just to name a few).  Any of those teams might want to bring in a guy like him (for a 5th rounder or so). 

The Patriots also seem like a decent fit.  I still remember CJ breaking a run against Belechick and his boys in the snow on a Monday night game when we took down Touchdown Tommy and the Pats.  CJ would be a nice 1st/2nd down back for them.

Back to the original deal with NYG, I would offer CJ and the low 4th for Apple straight up.  Especially if we have Saquon possibly in orange and blue.  Besides, we will take another rb regardless.

While I'm high on Booker, he still doesn't wow me that much.  He seems very average to me. 

Are you kidding, you bring up a great point that Bibbs won us a 4th rounder!  CJ is a bona fide starter in the league, he should fetch us something descent.  If the Broncos don't have the chance to draft Saquon, I am hoping for one of the UGA backs.  I would be happy with either of them.  But, I think CJ is as good as gone...best to get what you can for him...and if Bibbs got a 4th....come on!  That is what you get for CJ. 

6 minutes ago, Epic said:

The Pats signed Jeremy Hill he will be the early down rb.

I'm really not sold on the idea of getting rid of CJ at all. He's been a very consistent performer for a while now and is still young.

I don't think he's as easily replaceable as other posters here do.

38 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm really not sold on the idea of getting rid of CJ at all. He's been a very consistent performer for a while now and is still young.

I don't think he's as easily replaceable as other posters here do.

I agree people see last years rb class and expect that again. I still dont think hes worth 4.5 mill a year.

55 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree people see last years rb class and expect that again. I still dont think hes worth 4.5 mill a year.

this year's rb draft class seems far better...you get can get just as much production on a rookie contract..let's go!

Archived