Best pickup so far is...

bruceb

Who is our most important offseason acquisition and why?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who is our most important offseason acquisition and why?

• Taylor
    • Randall
    • Stanton
    • Gaines
    • Landry
    • Carrie
    • Smith
    • Hyde
    • Hubbard
    • Fells

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That part isn’t untrue, but Taylor has a much better arm and can stretch a defense. He’s also SIGNIFICANTLY more athletic.

Can't stretch the defense if a quarterback can't hit the deep ball. Eyeball test confirms but also: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/tyrod-taylor/

And I know you all are trembling at the possibility, but bringing in a likely one-year rental who is a 6'1" mobile quarterback...couldn't be to run the system that, say, Baker Mayfield might fit into, could it?...

Seems like an odd fit if they're going to take someone like Rosen or Allen. Mayfield seems the most like Taylor, though of course Sam is good outside the pocket as well.

And fwiw: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/cody-kessler/#/past-year

Kessler was a little better with the deep ball than Tyrod.

#funtayne

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Can't stretch the defense if a quarterback can't hit the deep ball. Eyeball test confirms but also: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/tyrod-taylor/

And I know you all are trembling at the possibility, but bringing in a likely one-year rental who is a 6'1" mobile quarterback...couldn't be to run the system that, say, Baker Mayfield might fit into, could it?...

Seems like an odd fit if they're going to take someone like Rosen or Allen. Mayfield seems the most like Taylor, though of course Sam is good outside the pocket as well.

#funtayne

Small sample size for Kessler though, but good stats.

33 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

They are. They both lob a lot of passes and protect the football. Both would rather take the sure thing checkdown over gambling on a big play. Taylor is a lot more athletic.

Their commonality is that they aren’t risk-takers. Taylor is still a proven productive starter, and Kessler is not. Not just because of his running stats. There’s a huge difference between the two. Note, that Tyrod didn’t go for a conditional, future 7th. Taylor is a 51/16 TD/INT guy the last 3 years. I’ll take my chances with Taylor on a rental over a year of Kessler.

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Their commonality is that they aren’t risk-takers. Taylor is still a proven productive starter, and Kessler is not. Not just because of his running stats. There’s a huge difference between the two. Note, that Tyrod didn’t go for a conditional, future 7th. Taylor is a 51/16 TD/INT guy the last 3 years. I’ll take my chances with Taylor on a rental over a year of Kessler.

Yeah the idea they’re remotely comparable right now is kind of crazy.

One is a proven starter for a playoff team, the other played behind DeShone Kizer.

I like Kessler, and think he’ll have a good career as a backup, but he’s not what we need right now.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

#funtayne

Also Kessler's velocity at the combine was 55 mpr, Taylor was 50 mph.

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah the idea they’re remotely comparable right now is kind of crazy.

One is a proven starter for a playoff team, the other played behind DeShone Kizer.

I like Kessler, and think he’ll have a good career as a backup, but he’s not what we need right now.

He was also entered preseason behind Hogan and Osweiler after having a 90+ rating in significant time as as rookie. Never played with the 1st team all preseason. But yeah, use Hue's coaching as the proof Kessler is garbage.

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He was also entered preseason behind Hogan and Osweiler after having a 90+ rating in significant time as as rookie. Never played with the 1st team all preseason. But yeah, use Hue's coaching as the proof Kessler is garbage.

Hue's coaching has nothing to do with it.  Ok something to do with it...but he still not good when he played. Better than other bums? Yes.  Not good though.

This whole debate will be no different than arguing about Weeden vs McCoy in 3 years, it’s irrelevant. It’s a bunch of career backups at best.

42 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

he entered training camp as the starter. He performed so poorly that he was passed up in practice. Also the same players that played with Kessler looked a lot better with Kizer than Kessler. Kessler played it extremely safe in '16. Hence why he looked good but barely put up points or won games. This year Hue tried to get away from being safe and it left Kessler in the dust. Dude could barely throw it 40yards in the air. Didnt have the arm strength to be a true threat, specially when it came to making legit NFL throws. Didnt need to have the strongest arm in the league but needed to have at least a strong enough arm to make the throws needed. Something he truly couldnt do 

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Watson’s was 49, as was Lamar Jackson’s, so what?

Kessler arm wasn’t his sole issue, he refused to throw the ball down field.  Having a high completion percentage and qb rating is all well and good, but you have to score points and challenge a defense, which never showed he could/would do.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I’m telling you I went to Camp

Kessler is the worst QB I’ve ever seen in person

Ive seen high school QBs look better that he did

he was out there making Brock Osweiler look like Aaron Rodgers 

worst decison my Sashi not named Kenny Britt 

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Watson’s was 49, as was Lamar Jackson’s, so what?

Kessler arm wasn’t his sole issue, he refused to throw the ball down field.  Having a high completion percentage and qb rating is all well and good, but you have to score points and challenge a defense, which never showed he could/would do.

You should only do it if it makes sense though. When McCown played in that same season he had a TD% of 3.6 and the same INT percentage. RGIII had TD% 1.4 and INT% of 2.0. Kessler was 3.1 and 1.0.  Not saying any of them are great but Kessler's TD percentage and INT% was better than the other starters combined numbers.

I don't think Kessler necessarily has a weak arm but he doesn't put zip on many throws. Taylor is the same way. They both seem more accurate or at least more comfortable with lobs. The throwing velocity is real though. It doesn't make a pitcher who throws 98 better than a pitcher that throws 91 but those were recorded measurements they can't be completely ignored. Watson doesn't have a good NFL arm. Doesn't mean he isn't or can't be a good NFL QB but I'd call it below average and a lot of times terrible looking, but effective thus far.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m telling you I went to Camp

Kessler is the worst QB I’ve ever seen in person

Ive seen high school QBs look better that he did

he was out there making Brock Osweiler look like Aaron Rodgers 

worst decison my Sashi not named Kenny Britt 

Well we'll see what happens with him. He doesn't appear to be a good practice player. I bet if he gets starts with the Jaguars that they will most of those games. Like 80% at least.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You should only do it if it makes sense though. When McCown played in that same season he had a TD% of 3.6 and the same INT percentage. RGIII had TD% 1.4 and INT% of 2.0. Kessler was 3.1 and 1.0.  Not saying any of them are great but Kessler's TD percentage and INT% was better than the other starters combined numbers.

Again, this arguing about which turd is the prettiest, it doesn’t really matters they all suck as starters.

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Again, this arguing about which turd is the prettiest, it doesn’t really matters they all suck as starters.

Potentially. I'm not sure 8 decent starts as a rookie 3rd round QB is quite enough to say a player sucks.

Archived