Jadeveon Clowney contract

Blaze

5 hours ago, Blaze said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767293-jadeveon-clowney-texans-reportedly-making-progress-on-mega-contract-extension

Looks like he will be the highest paid defensive player until Khalil Mack gets his contract. Clowney & Watt will both probably be getting 100 million a piece.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hesitant on this - he's been improving, but not to the level of "highest paid" status. His knees are time bombs as well, can go off at any moment.

If it's structured to where the big bucks are due over the next two years, then I guess that works.

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hesitant on this - he's been improving, but not to the level of "highest paid" status. His knees are time bombs as well, can go off at any moment.

If it's structured to where the big bucks are due over the next two years, then I guess that works.

I've resigned myself to Clowney getting $100m+ for a while now and really don't get too hung up on the "highest paid" thing anymore as all it means is that you have the most recent 2nd contract amongst the top 20 players at a premium position. Qb is a bit unique to itself but lets not forget that "Highest paid" status in the NFL includes Jimmy Garoppolo ($137m) by overall, Cousins ($28m) by average, and Stafford ($92m) by guarantee.  That group has as many Pro Bowl appearances combined as Clowney (2).  Mike Evans is coming off a season where he ranked 15th in yards, 23rd in rec, and 37th in TDs and already eclipsed Hopkins as "highest paid" with his $82.5 million deal. Nate Solder is maybe in the top half of LTs but is now "highest paid" in terms of average at $15.5.

Interestingly, the top end of defensive salaries doesn't seem to carry quite as much disparity between performance and pay, but I think it's a bit of anomaly due to a lull in top players hitting FA, which will change with the Mack/Clowney/Donald deals.  Currently Watt still leads DEs at $100m, DT's Suh at $114, LBs Miller at $114, CBs Norman at $75, S's Berry at $78.  The only recent deal mirrors the Solder deal as far as I'm concerned with mid tier starter Trumaine Johnson getting #2 overall CB money at $72.5.   

As for Clowney the starting point is going to be at $100million/$50 guaranteed that V. Miller and J. Houston got, but it's going to be an interesting strategic decision as his agents will almost certainly want to hold off until Mack sets the new high bar, while we'd be better served locking him up ASAP and structuring to burn off a large chunk in the first 2 years since we have the space. As we learned with Bouye, contracts aren't about the cumulative value over the past 4 years, but the present + future value and p & f value of Clowney is still top of the line.  If there was a defensive redraft tomorrow, I think Clowney would be top 5 off the board with Mack, Miller, Garrett, and soon to be $100 millionaire Aaron Donald.  Sure fire edge rushers are more rare than you think they are and this years draft is a good example as after Chubb, who strikes me as a mid-tier starter, you're looking at a flyer on a guy from UTSA (Davenport) or mediocre J.A.G.s like Hubbard or Key who could just as easily be 2nd rounders.  Would you take last year's Solomon Thomas, Darrick Barnett, or Charles Harris over Clowney - hell, I'd take Mercilus over the past two draft classes outside of Garrett. 

Reality is that regardless of overall value, NFL contracts are essentially 3 year deals with fluff stuck on the back end that will either get restructured, traded, or cut.  Clowney may have started out a bit dicey (in part due to the Texans irresponsible approach to injuries), but he is 25 and coming off 2 exceptional seasons and we have plenty of space with no cap issues anywhere on the horizon with our franchise QB taking up less cap over the next 4 seasons than Tyrod Taylor or Case Keenum will make THIS season to keeps seats warm for rookies. The idea of giving Bouye $68/$26 coming off one great season at least gave me some apprehension (franchising didn't), but giving Clowney $100/$50 holds almost no downside for me and is a Hopkins/Watt level "just get it done" no brainer for me at this point.

12 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I agree with @texans_uk.  Cant let him go when we have cap space.  Imagine the backlash.  I expect Clowney to finally reach double digit sack numbers this season. 

I mean who else are we going to spend that money on, our 2018 early draft picks ? 

Question for all - @Blaze, @Apollo Stallion, @Texansfan713, @Pastor Dillon, @mse326:

Let's say someone like New England cones to us with that brand new 23rd pick from the Brandin Cooks trade, as well as that 2nd rounder they got in the Jimmy Garropolo trade (along with a few more items, but the 1/2 are the headliners). Would that be enough, or would Belly have to offer more?

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Question for all - @Blaze, @Apollo Stallion, @Texansfan713, @Pastor Dillon, @mse326:

Let's say someone like New England cones to us with that brand new 23rd pick from the Brandin Cooks trade, as well as that 2nd rounder they got in the Jimmy Garropolo trade (along with a few more items, but the 1/2 are the headliners). Would that be enough, or would Belly have to offer more?

More. Way more

7 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

for clowney?  they going to have to cough up more than that.

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

More. Way more

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

for clowney?  they going to have to cough up more than that.

Ok, let's go full Madden here - 1/2, TE Rob Gronkowski for Clowney and our Seattle 3rd.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Ok, let's go full Madden here - 1/2, TE Rob Gronkowski for Clowney and our Seattle 3rd.

Still wouldn't. Draft picks are overrated especially when talking about trading for young studs. a 1 and 2 isn't enough for Clowney, and maybe I'm pessimistic but given Gronk's clear flirtation with retirement to go with injury history I don't think I'd trade a 3rd for him. So that trade obviously doesn't work for me.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I'm pessimistic but given Gronk's clear flirtation with retirement to go with injury history I don't think I'd trade a 3rd for him

So, to sidebar this, I think Gronk's retirement has less to do with the wear and tear on him (which there is a lot of) but moreso to do with being tired of "The Patriot Way". Given what we know about Gronk and his goofy, fratboy persona - I personally don't think it suited him well, the required discipline that boarderlined on fanatical. You kind of deal with it early on, but with a ring and a 2nd contract nearly done, do you really need to deal with that?

I could be wrong, but it's how I interpreted that retirement talk.

Ok, sidebar over.

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Honestly if I knew that Watson was going to come back and 100% what he was last season and was going to do that for the next 10 years, I would consider this trade. Those 2 picks would give us the chance to get the best LT in the draft and solidify our line for Watson. But I’m not sold we get rookie Watson ever again, injuries and BOB will ruin him  

Clowney has been good but crazy money on him and Watt is just not something I like. In all honestly I’d cut Watt If he wasn’t such a special part of the community. The guy is a 1st ballot HOFer but he’s finished. His best case senerio is going to be an average 3-4 end who gets 5-6 sacks a year. 

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So, to sidebar this, I think Gronk's retirement has less to do with the wear and tear on him (which there is a lot of) but moreso to do with being tired of "The Patriot Way". Given what we know about Gronk and his goofy, fratboy persona - I personally don't think it suited him well, the required discipline that boarderlined on fanatical. You kind of deal with it early on, but with a ring and a 2nd contract nearly done, do you really need to deal with that?

I could be wrong, but it's how I interpreted that retirement talk.

Ok, sidebar over.

It’s a good point. The two current dynasties in the NBA and NFL seem to be suffering Fatigue. 

Archived