Calvin Ridley WR Alabama vs DJ Moore WR Maryland

DreamKid

Who do you want us to select if both are there at 16?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want us to select if both are there at 16?

• Calvin Ridley WR, Alabama
    • DJ Moore WR, Maryland

18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Anime- Naruto/Shippuden, FMA/Brotherhood, Code Geass, Avatar, DBZ, Sword Art Online

Do you watch non super power animes? Monster, Initial D etc.

17 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

We've seen with anime such as FMA, Bleach, Naruto, and DBGT what happens when the anime is ahead of the manga and try to slow it down with fillers to wait and the quality suffers.

The hardcore fans of ASOIAF had no issue with the changes and trappings of book to show conversions in the early seasons. Actually everyone enjoyed the new content, focus on non book POV characters, great dialogue and interactions not seen in the books. 

That all said, in terms of GOTs being rushed out, I think they had to simply because of young characters aging beyond suspension of disbelief (Bran being the most notable).

I've never seen this complaint before. The characters in the show were already aged up from the books. Also it's not like they were in roles that would show the contrast of their age to position, like a student or something. If anything I think the audience would appreciate the characters looking more mature when involved in such horrific situations. 

It's universally accepted that D&D began rushing the show to get to their other projects they signed on to do. Once you finish the books I think you'll gain a better appreciation and understanding for the audience's intolerance of the show runner's change in approach, as well as the ethical line that was crossed. 

--------------------

^^ Also about anime filler, isn't it weird how much DB/Z/GT's fanbase loves filler characters lol. I mean how many people even know that characters like Broly and Cooler were non canon at one point? Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, none of them had filler characters popping the way the DB verse does. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Do you watch non super power animes? Monster, Initial D etc.

The hardcore fans of ASOIAF had no issue with the changes and trappings of book to show conversions in the early seasons. Actually everyone enjoyed the new content, focus on non book POV characters, great dialogue and interactions not seen in the books. 

I've never seen this complaint before. The characters in the show were already aged up from the books. Also it's not like they were in roles that would show the contrast of their age to position, like a student or something. If anything I think the audience would appreciate the characters looking more mature when involved in such horrific situations. 

It's universally accepted that D&D began rushing the show to get to their other projects they signed on to do. Once you finish the books I think you'll gain a better appreciation and understanding for the audience's intolerance of the show runner's change in approach, as well as the ethical line that was crossed. 

--------------------

^^ Also about anime filler, isn't it weird how much DB/Z/GT's fanbase loves filler characters lol. I mean how many people even know that characters like Broly and Cooler were non canon at one point? Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, none of them had filler characters popping the way the DB verse does. 

1. They tend to usually be super powered. I watched a lot more anime in college than I do now, but non-powered? Case Closed and Lupin III were favorites as a child. I wouldn’t consider Cowboy Bepop powered, but I didn’t include that one because I watched it when I was DBZ age but not likely mature enough to appreciate some of the concepts. It was still a great show, but I feel as though I will have to wait to watch it again before I judge it. Whereas DBZ was such a big part of my childhood that I absolutely can’t take that away, even though I find it very.. “simple” the older I get. The characters aren’t as fleshed out as many of the anime I’ve seen since.

2. True. I plan on rewatching the first two seasons as soon as I finish reading the second book. I plan to do that throughout this year and should be ready for the final season as we get closer to season 8.

3. I get that it’s rushed. But I’m sure the only thing I will continue to have a problem with is the shortened seasons in episode length. Season 7 and 8 being pretty much half the episodes (even if the episodes are longer) just always felt wrong. Season 7 was the only season where it felt like more nuances needed to be included.

I look at GOT as a giant movie in the vein of LOTR. And LOTR fit all that content into 3 movies (6 if we include the Hobit). GOTs has 5 books to this point and 7 books total.

With the episodes being just under an hour, that’s 3 episodes = 1 movie run time. So 10 episodes a season = 3 movies. That’s pretty solid for an adaption. If a director can’t flush out good content with that amount of screen time, they don’t deserve to direct.

The problem with season 7 is that, whole the run time was the same, they went away from their tried and true formula. It was obvious to me from the second season on that the “best” episode was usually the 9th episode of the season and the 10th was generally the second best and episode 5 was the third best. You kind of know what to expect.

I can forgive them for rushing the content in terms of not having the show run for 10-12 seasons, but I can’t forgive shows when they have an element that works and they go away from it. The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Supernatural all had obvious patterns with their shows that allowed them to succeed for long periods of time. Adjustments keep things fresh, but change destroys great shows too often. Anyways, I’m ranting, but I can agree with that POV.

But I also believe that when you’re dealing with such a large cast and thus so many creatives (actors, directors, writers, casting, makeup, etc) you can only allow that to continue for so long. With shows like the ones I listed above, their aren’t as many central characters, they also weren’t based off another’s work. You can’t simply kill off Bran Stark in the show if he decides he doesn’t want to act anymore and would prefer to pursue university, like you could kill off support characters in the X-Files. Or if someone like Kit Harrington is in talks to be paid $20m to star in the MCU, you can’t just write a storyline where Jon Snow moves to Bravos randomly, like you could for a character in most any tv show. Danny decides she wants to have a baby IRL, you can’t just write that into the script like you could do with most tv shows.

Keeping such a large cast together and for such a long time, has likely been a huge challenge for both the showrunners as well as the actors involved. So I just think that we’ve gotten a lot of good content out of it as it is. We’ve gotten one of my top 5-10 favorite shows of all time, regardless of how it ends (though the ending will determine where it ranks exactly), so before their hand is forced, I’d rather see them control their own destiny.

I just think most people should consider the difficulties that are faced when considering GOTs as a show. It truly is a very unique circumstance. We’re even seeing with the MCU, after 10 years of commitments, where the actors are getting tired (RDJ and Evans)... and they get paid much more than the GOT cast.

4. In terms of anime filler, I think it has so much to do with the proliferation of info with the internet now. When Cooler and Brolly were huge and DBGT came out, not as many people were informed that they weren’t canon. It was just assumed that since it was content, it must be legit. I remember watching DBGT and thinking how stupid it was in comparison to DB and DBZ. So I researched why that was and that was my first exposure to “canon” vs “non-canon” material. Most people were even more ignorant to that fact. Thus it allowed filler content to thrive. Now, we are much more intelligent as an audience and see filler as what it usually is, just a cash grab, and thus we tend to avoid.

1. They tend to usually be super powered. I watched a lot more anime in college than I do now, but non-powered? Case Closed and Lupin III were favorites as a child. I wouldn’t consider Cowboy Bepop powered, but I didn’t include that one because I watched it when I was DBZ age but not likely mature enough to appreciate some of the concepts. It was still a great show, but I feel as though I will have to wait to watch it again before I judge it. Whereas DBZ was such a big part of my childhood that I absolutely can’t take that away, even though I find it very.. “simple” the older I get. The characters aren’t as fleshed out as many of the anime I’ve seen since.

Bebop was definitely great, honestly it didn't have many mature themes but rather simple ones presented in a unique and beautiful way. If you haven't watched it yet I would recommend "Monster", it's an all timer and I'd only search it up on the actual site you plan to watch it on. It's a work you definitely don't want spoiled. 

4. In terms of anime filler, I think it has so much to do with the proliferation of info with the internet now. When Cooler and Brolly were huge and DBGT came out, not as many people were informed that they weren’t canon. It was just assumed that since it was content, it must be legit. I remember watching DBGT and thinking how stupid it was in comparison to DB and DBZ. So I researched why that was and that was my first exposure to “canon” vs “non-canon” material. Most people were even more ignorant to that fact. Thus it allowed filler content to thrive. Now, we are much more intelligent as an audience and see filler as what it usually is, just a cash grab, and thus we tend to avoid.

I understand the need for filler, especially when it comes to epic works like Naruto, One Piece etc. The mangakas are already under insane pressure and must churn out quality content at an insane and frankly detrimental pace. It's a cold world, if an artist takes breaks their audience will become restless and their loyalty will be tested. It's a slavery field. The constant threat of irrelevance and lack of opportunity fuels horrible industry practices. It's the dream of any artist to have their serialized work animated, but the same pitfalls of manga exist with with it's television counterpart. If an anime takes breaks it can lose it's audience and interest in the overall verse, action figures, movies, other toys and products.

Filler helps an artist keep their work out there in some capacity, helps the studios hold it's audience, the verse keep it's visibility, and the fans get more content though lesser. The alternative is more horrifying. Instead of a 12 episode stretch of nonsense irrelevant content you could get what you did with Tokyo Ghoul where the actual canon content is presented in a new way and mixed in with non-canon content ruining the story's original intent and purpose. In that light I understand the appeal of completely new silly or stupid content as long you avoid the original content being bastardized. From there it's up to the studios to get more talented people coming up with the filler content, but that's hard to do when you offer pennies and the brightest minds are grabbing for their own lottery ticket by trying to create their own series.

Funny enough filler content is also handcuffed in that they have to make sure they don't step on the mangaka's toes. Like they'll check in to see what powers might be utilized later on so you don't have a filler character with the same abilities as Pain in the first filler arc of Shippuden. 

Archived