Family day scrimmage

Johnny Nix

Couple notes so far

- oline struggling on both 1st and 2nd team (no surprise)

- K Elliot is having a rough day so far, missed a 52 yard FG and an extra point

- Mixon has looked good, scored a TD

- Lawson continues to dominate whoever he lined up against

- Trey Hopkins has played 3 different interior line positions on the 1st team

- Hewitt getting more work at TE

Supposedly Hopkins is looking to start somewhere on the line. I can honestly see them go with a look like this

Ogbeuhi- Boling- Bodine- Hopkins- Smith

i think Fisher is gonna be the 1st guy off the bench and possibly could be starting at LT if Ogbeuhi stinks it up 

9 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

The team has reportedly been very high on Hopkins since last year and that they felt strongly enough to allow Zeitler to walk. It will be interesting to see his development this year. Our O line needs a few guys to step up. 

Say what?  If the team was so high on Hopkins, they'd never re-sign Smith and publicly say they expect him to win the RG job.

35 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Say what?  If the team was so high on Hopkins, they'd never re-sign Smith and publicly say they expect him to win the RG job.

Even if they had plans to start someone like Hopkins, they probably still would've brought back Smith anyway for a few good reason. If either Ogbuehi or Fisher struggle so bad to the point that they get benched, then putting Smith in there for some insurance is an option. Plus lets remember how Smith was starting to look like a colossal bust after his first 2 years in the league and then turned it around, something that Ogbuehi could learn from. I know bring him back just for veteran leadership may not make sense with Boling and Winston there, but him being a former first round pick means he can pass off some tips to Ogbuehi and Fisher.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

It was a BBP podcast. Since before FA, they said the team was high on Hopkins. I might have posted about it at the time in the old forum. 

13 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Even if they had plans to start someone like Hopkins, they probably still would've brought back Smith anyway for a few good reason. If either Ogbuehi or Fisher struggle so bad to the point that they get benched, then putting Smith in there for some insurance is an option. Plus lets remember how Smith was starting to look like a colossal bust after his first 2 years in the league and then turned it around, something that Ogbuehi could learn from. I know bring him back just for veteran leadership may not make sense with Boling and Winston there, but him being a former first round pick means he can pass off some tips to Ogbuehi and Fisher.

I actually agree with this.  The Smith resigning made so much sense they may have brought him back even if Zeitler resigned.  He's relatively cheap, could play RT if Fisher busts, and in this case can maybe RG in a pinch.  

Hobson may be spinning stuff, but for a team that is so thin at OL, bringing Smith back in some capacity just made too much sense.

So, is there a possibility that Boyd gets cut/traded?  I mean Green, Ross, and LaFell are locks.  Then you have Core, Boyd, Erickson, Malone, and Kermit who all have a shot IMO.

We generally keep 6 WRs.  Core lets say gets the 4th spot.  That leaves 2 spots open, one for a kick returner (Most likely Erickson but Kermit has an outside shot).  Then Boyd and Malone fighting for the last spot...

Archived