Rumor: Gronk trade?

Elky

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5729/rob-gronkowski

The Boston Sports Journal's Greg Bedard passes along word from a "Bill Belichick-friendly source" that the longer Rob Gronkowski goes without committing to the team, the chances of the Patriots trading him increase.
This is pure speculation, but it isn't the first time we've seen it, as MMQB's Albert Breer hinted at it as well in a piece on Thursday. Both Breer and Bedard are ex-Patriots beat writers with plenty of connections to the team. Gronkowski has yet to inform the Patriots of his 2018 plans, and some think Belichick could use that as fuel to trade the star tight end, who may be tiring of playing at a massive discount in New England. Bedard mentions the 49ers and Rams as suitors should Gronkowski become available. 29-year-old (in May) Gronk is the fourth-highest-paid tight end at $9 million per year and has two years left on his deal. Mar 30 - 11:31 AM

Yeah I don't think it's as out of the question that we would trade him as it was even a year or two ago. I have trouble believing another team would be willing to give up the kind of value BB would be looking for. They're getting an almost 30 year old with the kind of injury history he has who is openly contemplating retirement, that's a lot of baggage.

I see Gronk playing as long as Brady does and retiring in tandem. The prospect of getting traded and no longer playing with Tom would be as good a reason as any to hang 'em up this offseason if he's still on the fence.

41 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Yeah I don't think it's as out of the question that we would trade him as it was even a year or two ago. I have trouble believing another team would be willing to give up the kind of value BB would be looking for. They're getting an almost 30 year old with the kind of injury history he has who is openly contemplating retirement, that's a lot of baggage.

I see Gronk playing as long as Brady does and retiring in tandem. The prospect of getting traded and no longer playing with Tom would be as good a reason as any to hang 'em up this offseason if he's still on the fence.

I think it's like an OBJ trade: Gronk is available, but it'll take a king's ransom for it to happen.

6 minutes ago, Elky said:

I think it's like an OBJ trade: Gronk is available, but it'll take a king's ransom for it to happen.

I think it's more likely. It makes so much sense to me. He is going to start declining soon given all his injuries, he probably isn't in the long term plans considering his retirement contemplations, and BB loves getting value for guys before they have none. This strikes me more as a Richard Seymour situation if it does actually occur. 

1 hour ago, dhunt2402 said:

But like... who is giving up a 1st rounder + for Gronk at this point?

Some teams I could see having interest and actually being involved for Gronk are the Redskins, Panthers, Raiders, Browns, Seahawks, Lions, and Broncos.

7 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

But like... who is giving up a 1st rounder + for Gronk at this point?

No one is paying that price. There's simply too many question marks. It might actually be a good move for Belichick to get whatever he can for, though. I don't foresee a long stretch of high draft picks for the Patriots while BB is in charge. Best to start reloading now, however they can. 

5 hours ago, TomRalph said:

The Rams are clearly going all in this year and would give up their 1st Round Pick (23rd Overall) I think. That'd be pretty good value, but it'd be devastating to see him go....

I think the Rams plan right now is to get an offensive tackle to eventually replace Andrew Whitworth or add a dynamic receiver with pick 23. After drafting a tight end in the second round last year, I would be surprised and amused if the Rams actually traded for Gronkowski.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:14 AM, TomRalph said:

The Rams are clearly going all in this year and would give up their 1st Round Pick (23rd Overall) I think. That'd be pretty good value, but it'd be devastating to see him go....

Ha  Wrong player. pretty funny

Archived