Saints Path to the Draft: Thoughts and Opinions

ckoz24

Recently I've been seeing a lot of hype on Isaiah Oliver on YouTube and although I haven't been looking at many mock drafts, it doesn't seem like he has emerged as a 1st round.

The guy has reach and although it seems like we have other needs, our secondary could be set for a long time with him. Allowing us to win now and the future.

I don't think we would get as TE in the 1st as they can take a couple years. I think the Saints are looking to win with Brees now.

Just wanting to know what other people would think about getting another CB.

Thoughts?

I didn't feel like he deserved his on thread, so if others have thoughts on other players, I'd like to hear them as well.

You can never have too many good corners IMO.  Especially when they start dropping like flies, as they have for us in the past.  

But the same can be said for other positions, and at the moment there are a few other positions I'd choose priority over CB.

I don't think a TE would necessarily take several years to contribute to the offense.  It depends on the player of course, but I think Payton and Brees could get more utility out of them than most other teams.  Whether or not I would want one in the first depends on who is available.

It's gonna be interesting to see what direction the team goes in.  I have no strong preference at the moment based on who will likely be available.

I'd be:

• 100% ok sticking where we are at 1.27 and taking the BPA of anyone who falls to us (Jaire Alexander, Sam Hubbard, Leighton Vander Esch, Rashaan Evans, Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, even Lamar Jackson).
  • 100% ok with trading down into the 2nd to get more value and possibly grab one of these TEs floating about. Maybe even Isaiah Oliver in the right spot.
  • 100% not ok with drafting Arden Key.

I would rather they bring Breaux back on the cheap as CB depth and use the pick on another position of need. Apparently the Saints have no interest in bringing Breaux back though, so, yah....

I'd still rather the Saints draft something other than CB with that 1st round pick. Would love to see Vander Esch fall that far or one of the better edge guys (not named Key). I think a decent TE can be had in the 3rd, and I think the Saints will add a WR thru FA at some point still. Trading down and somehow netting a pair of 2nds would be a dream come true, but who we foolin. Saints have never traded down in the Sean P. era. I don't see them bumping that trend now lol

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I'd go with BPA at pick 27. If Lamar Jackson is there at 27, he should be the pick in my eyes as I have a hard time believing anyone else at pick 27 will have a higher ceiling.

While I kind of agree, players like Sam Hubbard, Leighton Vander Esch, Rashaan Evans, Courtland Sutton, (if also available) can come in and have a much more impactful effect on the offense/defense right away which, considering the window is closing on the Brees era, I would think would be the better choice. That being said, If Lamar Jackson is there @ 27, and no other more beneficial player is there, I have zero issue adding him to our roster. Would be great to have him learn the ropes from Brees for a couple seasons.

At this very moment, here is how I feel about the 27th pick...

DT:

Although we pursued Suh, I dont think the Saints view DT as a MUST have this offseason. Suh just repersented such a huge upgrade as an interior pass rusher that they vetted him.

TE:

I still wont rule out South Carolinas Hayden Hurst as the pick at 27 for the Saints dispite the recent addition of Ben Watson. To me, Hurst is the only 1st round prospect at the position and his ability to be a great dual "true" TE as both a receiver and inline blocker, Hurst skill set is rare comimg out of college these days and fits perfectly with New Orleans new ground game approach. Watson would be a great mentor to a guy like Hurst.

QB:

Is there a chance the Saints shock all of us and trade up for a QB... Sure but I dont think its gonna happen. The only way I see the Saints taking a round 1 QB is if Louisville's Lamar Jackson falls to 27 and Payton is truly enomored with him.

WR:

Receiver is a major MUST for the Saints this offseason, especially if Snead signs and leaves with another club. The question will be is there a talent worthy enough at the 27th pick at the position at the time? While I like guys like Christian Kirk, Couttland Sutton and DJ Moore i dont see them as 27th worthy IMO. Now this may shock yall but the one player in this draft I can actually see the Saints trade up for in this Draft is Alabamas Calvin Ridley if the guy happens to slip to a spot in the draft where the Saints view him as a great value. Ridley would be the ideal compliment to Mike Thomas and would fill a huge need for us.

EDGE:

I wont lie... This position scares me! It appears that Sean Payton is desperate to fill this position with a high end talent. The problem is that this is the WRONG draft to feel the NEED to fill it! Bradley Chubb is a stud but we aint getting that guy... Everyone else has major question marks surrounding them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard a QB named a couple times in the past week around the office I didn't have much familiarity with. Then I see this article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768325-combine-afterthought-nic-shimonek-could-be-the-secret-qb-star-of-the-2018-draft?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Does he have a future?

1 hour ago, Raves said:

If he's there in the 3rd, let's do it. 

I wouldn't be upset if the Saints took a QB in the 1st round this year if thats what they want to do. However, once we get to the 3rd round and later I feel drafting a QB would be doing it just to do it and at that point I dont see any of these guys in that area as a better prospect than Taysom Hill.

With the Cameron Meredith signing wide receiver isn't as urgent, should provide us with more flexibility to pick BPA heading into the draft, although I'm still thinking we either take TE in the first round or move up for one in the 2nd.

3 hours ago, Lyoane said:

With the Cameron Meredith signing wide receiver isn't as urgent, should provide us with more flexibility to pick BPA heading into the draft, although I'm still thinking we either take TE in the first round or move up for one in the 2nd.

Im starting to believe that the Saints will inquire about possibly landind a round 1 QB. Maybe Mayfield if he falls to the bottom of the top 10 or Jackson if hes available at 27... Likleyhood is that neither option becomes a reality but its becoming a stronger possibility with the moves being made. 

I think we'll go BPA as we've done in the pat. Holder mentioned it a few weeks ago, under Ireland the Saints' MO has been plug holes in free agency and take BPA in the draft.

That being said, if all else ends up being equal, I wouldn't be surprised if we added a DT in the 1st. A fair few in this draft that can rush the passer, and Payton mentioned that improving the pass rush was one of the biggest needs going into this offseason. It's also the only hole I don't think we've filled in free agency.

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think we'll go BPA as we've done in the pat. Holder mentioned it a few weeks ago, under Ireland the Saints' MO has been plug holes in free agency and take BPA in the draft.

That being said, if all else ends up being equal, I wouldn't be surprised if we added a DT in the 1st. A fair few in this draft that can rush the passer, and Payton mentioned that improving the pass rush was one of the biggest needs going into this offseason. It's also the only hole I don't think we've filled in free agency.

True but this offseason in particular Payton has consistantly quoted the need for an edge rusher. They have in fact spent a ton of time with Arden Key maybe trying to convince themselves hes worth the 27th pick. However the guy I would say all Saints fans should start getting familiar with is Florida State's Josh Sweat. 

Sweat is an unbelievable athlete in the mold of Texans J. Clowney with the size, speed and length Ireland covets in edge rushers. As of right now Sweat is my sleeper pick at 27th overall to the Saints.

Archived