Alex Smith record against NFC East opponents

Doc Draper

Kirk Cousins record vs NFC East

2014 0-2 0-1 Eagles 0-1 Giants

2015 4-2 2-0 Eagles 1-1 Cowboys 1-1 Giants

2016 3-3 2-0 Eagles 0-2 Cowboys 1-1 Giants

2017 1-5 0-2 Eagles 0-2 Cowboys 1-1 Giants

Combined record of 8-12 vs NFC East 

Lets not go complaining about someone who has never played in our division when we had someone with more exposure to “division rivals” and continually lost the “big games”.

Kirk is no longer here, Alex is. Get over it guys. Accept who your QB is. Have faith in your team. HTTR!!

Wait, people are responding to this like it means something.

But this thread is a joke, right? A tongue in cheek retort to the “Cousins Dome Record” thread, pulling the Smith haters back even in the “pointless small sample size stat cheap shot” department?

We’re talking about 14 isolated games in the career of a guy who’s been a starting QB for over a decade. Who could possibly care that Smith started his career 0-5 against the other NFC East teams from 2005 to 2011, including 4 losses against the Eagles? The fact that he couldn’t beat the Andy Reid/Donovan McNabb Eagles when he played for the 49ers under Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary is supposed to have some meaning about how he’ll play against the Eagles next year and beyond? 

Since losing to the Cowboys in week 2 of 2011, he’s actually 6-3 against those NFC East teams. Including a win over the eventual SB champs last year. Which also means basically nothing, but it’s at least marginally more relevant than the full career record. So in the event that you do care about his results against the NFC East opposition, you should be delighted — he’s been dominating them since before Kirk Cousins even entered the league!

58 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Paul Richardson vs NFC East

2014 3-1 (lost to Dallas)

2015 1-0, (beat Dallas)

2016 1-0 (beat Philly)

2017 3-1 (lost to Washington)

thats 8-2 folks. So we’re in good shape???!!!

Can someone please pull me Pernell McPhees record against NFC opponents ASAP?!?

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

We trade our 2nd round pick for Sudfield. He balls  out in the season finale 

HAHA! Yeah, I mean as long as we're brainstorming the most fantastic things that might not happen, one of them is bound to happen, right?

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Wait, people are responding to this like it means something.

But this thread is a joke, right? A tongue in cheek retort to the “Cousins Dome Record” thread, pulling the Smith haters back even in the “pointless small sample size stat cheap shot” department?

We’re talking about 14 isolated games in the career of a guy who’s been a starting QB for over a decade. Who could possibly care that Smith started his career 0-5 against the other NFC East teams from 2005 to 2011, including 4 losses against the Eagles? The fact that he couldn’t beat the Andy Reid/Donovan McNabb Eagles when he played for the 49ers under Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary is supposed to have some meaning about how he’ll play against the Eagles next year and beyond? 

Since losing to the Cowboys in week 2 of 2011, he’s actually 6-3 against those NFC East teams. Including a win over the eventual SB champs last year. Which also means basically nothing, but it’s at least marginally more relevant than the full career record. So in the event that you do care about his results against the NFC East opposition, you should be delighted — he’s been dominating them since before Kirk Cousins even entered the league!

You are correct, sir! Its why I didn't respond to the OP. Its like giving me a stat of someone's record against a team with a left footed punter.

7 hours ago, oldman9er said:

wow.. This really isn't going to work out. LOL

Most likely not, but not really due to any fault of Alex Smith.

He was brought in (via trade) to replace the best quarterback this franchise has had in 25 years.

He was sold for why it had to happen because of his winning record and his ability to win playoff games. This was the one major knock against Cousins: he couldn't win games when they mattered. So, the Redskins pointed to Smith's 50-26 record in Kansas City as to why trading for him was the right play for the franchise. That works out to 0.658 winning percentage, or about 10.5 games --> 11 wins (I'd really rather not see another tie). If we take his career record of 88-62-1, that gets a winning percentage of 0.586 or 9.4 games. Going 9-7 only gets a team into a playoffs with some help, so that is the absolute bare minimum, with ten games being a more likely minimum for acceptability for him in year one. There is also an expectation of at least one playoff win in there as well.

I honestly don't think he'll reach those targets, but that probably has more to do with the overall team construction than anything Smith does on his own. However, that's the situation that Alex finds himself in since those are the expectations that the front office sold the fanbase on. Like i said, not really fair, but that's the reality of the situation.

Thai gave you 12-4 and a NFC championship game appearance. I'm saying 10-6 + playoff win is bare minimum. Because, to be completely blunt, without that, it's an open question whether Gruden and/or Allen survive.

I believe Alex could do some special things here.

Before, with Cousins? I believed just making the Playoffs was the goal. I believed we never could reach the SB with his shortcomings.

Not because the team wasn't good enough or from riddled injuries from time to time. But because he was too inconsistent from game to game, to ever get us there.

With Smith, that changes everything!

Love or hate Alex, but the one thing you get from Alex every game, is consistency.

It may feel he game manages every game, but he never swings from great to terrible like a pendulum each week.

Sure, the team has to step up with him to pull out the victories. But what you see, is what you get with Alex.

I truly believe....

If we can stay relatively healthy for a season, he not only is capable of beating out the Giants, Cowboys & Eagles for the Division? I believe he's more than capable, of getting us to & even winning another SB.

I don't believe Cousins will ever sniff a SB. He's too inconsistent & has too many warts to his game.

30 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I believe Alex could do some special things here.

Before, with Cousins? I believed just making the Playoffs was the goal. I believed we never could reach the SB with his shortcomings.

Not because the team wasn't good enough or from riddled injuries from time to time. But because he was too inconsistent from game to game, to ever get us there.

With Smith, that changes everything!

Love or hate Alex, but the one thing you get from Alex every game, is consistency.

It may feel he game manages every game, but he never swings from great to terrible like a pendulum each week.

Sure, the team has to step up with him to pull out the victories. But what you see, is what you get with Alex.

I truly believe....

If we can stay relatively healthy for a season, he not only is capable of beating out the Giants, Cowboys & Eagles for the Division? I believe he's more than capable, of getting us to & even winning another SB.

I don't believe Cousins will ever sniff a SB. He's too inconsistent & has too many warts to his game.

Here are some interesting Alex Smith stats for those who believe they tell a more accurate story of said player, like I do.

Smith is 21-9 in the AFC West as a K.C. Chief.

He's 51-27-1 as a starting QB in this League @home which is .65% winning. (I rounded down actually)

He's 39-40 on the road. Lets say 50%

So for the Redskins, he should win 4 of the 8 road games this yr going by avg.

And...between 5-to-6 games at home.

So going by this stat?

The Redskins with Alex Smith should be no worse than 9-7, but probably closer to 10-6 by his career avg. This is a worst case scenario here folks!

With a 70% divisional record to boot.

So that's at least with a 4-2 divisional record. AT LEAST!

Guess what?

Redskins are making the Playoffs next season!

At least as a Wild Card.

No matter the injuries....

Yes it was a joke directed at the KC Dome and the thread where some claimed it’s better to have smith than cousins because he’s better than cousins because KC had a better record. 

Slow time with us being inactive in free agency and before draft. 

Perhaps I’ll start a new thread for “The predicted record for a Smith led team coached by Gruden” based on his previous records where he played for teams coached by monkeys. Oh wait, this will be his first experience for that. 

Archived