Vikings extend Joseph 4yr $50 mil($31 in guarantees)

daineraider

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I appreciate that the Vikes FO have been aggressive in getting some of their key veterans locked up long term. Griffen, Rhodes and Joseph should all be significant contributors for the next 3-5 years.

going forward, it will be a challenge to keep Hunter, Kendricks, Barr and Diggs. All will want to be paid, decisions will have to be made but at least there isn't any risk of losing the three recently signed vets.

and then of course is the QB situation, which will need to be addressed in 2018.

I don't think you are going to have any problem keeping the D together, I do wonder if this means they plan to move from Bradford.

2 hours ago, PackyAttacky said:

I don't think you are going to have any problem keeping the D together, I do wonder if this means they plan to move from Bradford.

Might depend on what happens with Teddy. If Teddy spends half the year on PUP, he won't earn an accrued season. This means he won't be a free agent in 2018 and the Vikes will have him under contract for cheap. Thus, the Vikes could use the franchise tag on Bradford in 2018 and let the two QBs compete for the starting job. 

On 8/7/2017 at 9:12 PM, vikingsrule said:

Might depend on what happens with Teddy. If Teddy spends half the year on PUP, he won't earn an accrued season. This means he won't be a free agent in 2018 and the Vikes will have him under contract for cheap. Thus, the Vikes could use the franchise tag on Bradford in 2018 and let the two QBs compete for the starting job. 

If Bridgewater is on the PUP, he misses six games. The Vikings then have three weeks to either bring him on the active roster or put him on IR for the rest of the season. In either case, he would accrue a season.

On August 10, 2017 at 11:00 PM, Woz said:

If Bridgewater is on the PUP, he misses six games. The Vikings then have three weeks to either bring him on the active roster or put him on IR for the rest of the season. In either case, he would accrue a season.

Not true according to articles I've seen 

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/07/teddy-bridgewaters-contract-situation-could-get-interesting-and-possibly-ugly/amp/

His contract would toll, giving the Vikes another year of control.

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not true according to articles I've seen 

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/07/teddy-bridgewaters-contract-situation-could-get-interesting-and-possibly-ugly/amp/

His contract would toll, giving the Vikes another year of control.

Maybe, maybe not.

Section 2. Physically Unable to Perform: Any player placed on a Physically Unable to Perform list (“PUP”) will be paid his full Paragraph 5 Salary while on such list. His con-tract will not be tolled for the period he is on PUP, except in the last year of his contract, when the player’s contract will be tolled if he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular season game.

One interpretation and one I suspect the NFLPA, Bridgewater, and Bridgewater's representation team will argue is "I am physically able to play, but due to the rules governing the PUP, I cannot be on the field." Now, if he cannot clear a physical, then he's essentially screwed here. However, if he can show he can perform "his football services" before the sixth regular season game, he might have a shot at getting the arbiter to side with him. The trick is that it might have to be independent of the Vikings since I don't think he can actually practice with them until after the sixth week.

The real question is: do the Vikings want to go this route? Yes, you would control Bridgewater's rights for an extra year, but you almost assuredly would not have him beyond that (unless you franchised him). Also, it could do a lot of damage to their reputation with players around the league. While the Vikings have been quite aggressive in getting some of their guys locked up long term, they haven't gotten everyone they want to sign. Going this route might poison the well with other players they want to keep or free agents they want to sign.

(*) BTW, in the event the contract tolls, the Vikings would not be able to activate his 5th year option next year (something I was wondering about). The piece that governs that (Article 7, Section 7, Paragraph a) reads:

Exercise Period. A Club has the unilateral right to extend from four years to five years the term of any Rookie Contract of a player selected in the first round of the Draft (the “Fifth-Year Option”). To do so, the Club must give written notice to the player after the final regular season game of the player’s third season but prior to May 3 of the following League Year (i.e., year four of the contract).

Archived