Raiders Release P Marquette King

HTTRDynasty

45 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

What kind of message is he trying to send? 

Its doubtful there’s a better punter available in free agency. With every decision, I get more glad Gruden didn’t end up in Tampa.

He didn't play well toward the end of the year and they want to clear space to resign Navorro Bowman.

He signed a lot of old vets for minimum and no guaranteed money, i.e. Doug Maritn.

We also signed arguably the best contract for a corner this year when we got Melvin for 1/6.5 (gaines is up there too).

We added serviceable to decent players in Gilchrist and Whitehead and made a lateralish move in adding Nelson instead of Crabtree, who was rumored to be a major locker room cancer.

Gruden hasn't compromised this team's long term cap space, or overspent for any free agent. He's also helped add some good core special teamers and put together a very good coaching staff. I can't see a reason to doubt what he's doing right now. He's already the best coach we've had in years.

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I would take All Pros for punters with a pretty big grain of salt.

I highly doubt that most... if any of the voters really know how to judge punters besides on what names they know and basic stats which need a good deal of context to accurately assess that you can't get if you don't watch all the punts from all the punters in said given year. I don't do that though, so I'm not blaming them for not doing it either. I'm just saying.

A site called Purple PTSD actually does a good job of providing context to punters season long performances.

https://purpleptsd.com/how-good-is-your-teams-punter-all-33-nfl-punters-ranked/

Believe it or not Hekker comes in at 6th (Titans punter came in at 18th though).

This is what they say about his performance this year.

Hekker ranked 3rd last year by their methodology.

If you average their rankings the last 2 years the best 5 punters recently have been Lechler, King, Hekker, Morstead and Lee.

That methodology is just as flawed as others. If you look at net punting, I20:TB ratio, and return yardage given up, it should given you a strong understanding of who the best Punters are. And after doing so, it's clear that Hekker is in a league of his own.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That methodology is just as flawed as others. If you look at net punting, I20:TB ratio, and return yardage given up, it should given you a strong understanding of who the best Punters are. And after doing so, it's clear that Hekker is in a league of his own.

Completely disagree. Their methodology is better than what you suggest.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Completely disagree. Their methodology is better than what you suggest.

They even admit their methodology is flawed:

From there, we got two nice little numbers. Here’s how they turned out, as a refresher. While this was a pretty good indicator, there were some issues, mainly pointed out by Chris Kluwe when he dropped by the Purple Journal Podcast. Kluwe took a similar approach when writing the methodology for punter evaluation at Pro Football Focus. First, he mentioned to move the line to the 40, since punts are still pretty much indiscriminate boots from there. He also mentioned hangtime and directional punting. Unfortunately, I don’t have the requisite data to incorporate those two things, but they’re worth a mention and consideration.

If you're going to do a system like that, you can't omit directional punting and hangtime. John Fassel, our STs Coach, runs a system built on directional punting and hangtime. He values putting the ball in the right spot and keeping it in the air to prevent returns over kicking the bloody pizz out of the ball. If Hekker wanted to kick the ball as far as he could on every punt, I bet he'd have no issue leading the league in distance. We don't value that in our scheme. Why does that matter? Over the past 5 years, we've given up 864 punt return yards (172.8 yards per year). How many Punters can top that?

That's why it's very easy to know what you need to know by looking at Net Punting, I20:TB ratio, and return yards allowed.

In truth, I think "the message" may have had more to do with this:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/3/30/17182078/breaking-raiders-release-flamboyant-punter-marquette-king

480833602.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Jason Merritt/Getty Images

No punter in the NFL is a more colorful character than Marquette King. And now he is without a team as the Raiders have released the 7th year punter.

King, originally signed by the club as an undrafted free agent in 2012 out of Fort Valley State. He has spent six years with the Raiders, the last five as their full time punter, replacing former long time punter, Shane Lechler. 

Over his six-year career, he has played in 80 games, recorded 426 punts for 19,941 yards (46.8 avg.) and pinned opponents inside the 20-yard line 156 times with 33 touchbacks.

While he has been a great NFL punter, he is most known for his animated personality. Known for dressing up in all kinds of crazy costumes and taking videos of himself punting trick shots and...well, basically videoing himself doing anythin

Well, you and I might realize it's fun, @TheRealMcCoy; what I'm guessing is that Gruden doesn't regard it as Ol'-Time Football, like the Raiders apparently used to play- all those references to reverting back to 1998, you know? 

I'm guessing that Gruden would prefer to have a punter who's basically a good Guy:

Image result for Ray Guy

Archived