Raiders release P Marquette King; Signs with the Donks

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So Gruden is starting "the Raider way" lol. The reason it works for the the Pats is they win. Hopefully the Raiders rebuild a culture of winning.

The only issue I take is if you're sending a message..... why is Lynch still on the team? His antics are far more of a distraction. 

The reason the Pats win so regularly is they don't build teams like a collection of players. They get players who will work toward one goal, winning games. And as soon as one of them thinks he's bigger than that, they send them packing. RM talked about changing the culture when he came in and i think we were on the right track at some point (Tuck and Woodson played a huge role there). But something went wrong after the team found success in 2016 and it had to be fixed again.

I agree Lynch could have been another player cut to send a message, and it seems they were at least considering it at one point. Not sure why they decided to keep him around in the end.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

The reason the Pats win so regularly is they don't build teams like a collection of players. They get players who will work toward one goal, winning games. And as soon as one of them thinks he's bigger than that, they send them packing. RM talked about changing the culture when he came in and i think we were on the right track at some point (Tuck and Woodson played a huge role there). But something went wrong after the team found success in 2016 and it had to be fixed again.

I agree Lynch could have been another player cut to send a message, and it seems they were at least considering it at one point. Not sure why they decided to keep him around in the end.

Mark Davis love him and needs to keep the Oakland locals pacified 

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So Gruden is starting "the Raider way" lol. The reason it works for the the Pats is they win. Hopefully the Raiders rebuild a culture of winning.

The only issue I take is if you're sending a message..... why is Lynch still on the team? His antics are far more of a distraction. 

Because it's not solely or perhaps even partially for this reason. If I had to guess it would be due the following factors, some weighted with more significance than others:

- Money

- Being certain you are able to find a replacement to give you the same production

- It's a position the staff don't value highly

- His antics

Now I know you're gonna have a slightly different view on this, but I would say Lynch definitely qualifies for 2 of these but I think the important of not being certain that they can find the same level of production is the reason they are willing to keep Lynch for now.

10 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Or whoever was their punter in TB in 09....

In the last week, we have gotten rid of two of the best ST players in the league in Patterson and King and signed Reggie Nelson and Leon Fall.

But they also signed Wilber and Lamur as special teams aces. They also signed plenty of guys under 30. King will be 30 this year and was cut just like Crabtree, Smith and seabass etc....I just don’t really get the narrative. 

Yeah he is signing vets that he thinks will help teach the system, be coaches on the field , help the culture and set the tone that he wants in the locker room, but I don’t see how that’s not understandable? 

And oh yeah, the only punter left on the roster currently, picked by Gruden, is 22 years old. Colby Wadman.

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Because it's not solely or perhaps even partially for this reason. If I had to guess it would be due the following factors, some weighted with more significance than others:

- Money

- Being certain you are able to find a replacement to give you the same production

- It's a position the staff don't value highly

- His antics

Now I know you're gonna have a slightly different view on this, but I would say Lynch definitely qualifies for 2 of these but I think the important of not being certain that they can find the same level of production is the reason they are willing to keep Lynch for now.

Didn’t Lynch also take a pay cut or at least restructure his contract?

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

To be brutally honest, he will help sell PSLs. This will be his last year. PSL sales are a major concern. This is a multi billion dollar business. The debt load the Raiders are carrying is massive, they need to sell PSLs and assure that those sales go well. Why does anyone think the Rams are loading up this year? Just to win? They're building a 5 billion dollar sports complex. And the team they put together is selling that to LA.

I don't understand how this sends a "message" to anyone. King was an amazing talent and fun to watch. Both pros... he had a few penalties where he let his emotions get the better of him but so what? It's not like it's something you can't discipline a little. Really hate this move but hopefully we can draft a good punter.

39 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

I don't understand how this sends a "message" to anyone. King was an amazing talent and fun to watch. Both pros... he had a few penalties where he let his emotions get the better of him but so what? It's not like it's something you can't discipline a little. Really hate this move but hopefully we can draft a good punter.

I think the point being, on top of his higher salary, you shouldn’t have to do any of that with a punter, not worth the headache and Gruden deems it easier to find a competent replacement. 

14 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Smdh

Why sydh? He's a punter. If he can exact revenge by actually doing enough to win a game against us, more power to him. I personally hope he continues his distracted play from the second half of last year and punts entirely in an average to disappointing fashion. 

Does anyone other than me attribute at least SOME of the reason he was cut to the fact that his punting in the 2nd half of last year was actually bordering on poor?

4 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Why sydh? He's a punter. If he can exact revenge by actually doing enough to win a game against us, more power to him. I personally hope he continues his distracted play from the second half of last year and punts entirely in an average to disappointing fashion. 

Does anyone other than me attribute at least SOME of the reason he was cut to the fact that his punting in the 2nd half of last year was actually bordering on poor?

I'm just dissapointed he chose Denver because I still liked the guy. Now I will be forced to hate him and his awesome piano playing skills.

And Giorgio was pretty poor in the second half of the season but we kept him around. I think him being released was 100% tied to Gruden not liking Kings personality.

Archived