Trade propsal from The Land

brooks1957

Hey all - Brooksie here, lifelong (and suffering) Browns fan here.

No, I am not Sonny Weaver Jr. calling Tom Michaels here, but that is a bit of humor.

Let me be serious here and propose this trade:

To Seattle:

WR Corey Coleman

2018 Pick #64 (Last one in the second round)

2018 Fourth round Pick (I think we own 3 of them)

To Cleveland:

2018 Pick #18

Let me explain what the Hawks would be receiving in return.

WR Coleman: HC Hue Jackson's first pick with the Browns (after passing on Wentz - grrrrrrrrr..........)

He was selected at #15 in 2016. Showed  a lot of promise in training camp 2016. Started the season in Philadelphia with a big game, and was having a big game the next week against the Ravens. He broke his hand in that game. Came back after 8 games and continued to show promise. Started last year with the same promise, and broke his other hand...... Came back after that hand healed, and again was doing well. However, he became the poster boy for frustration of the 2017 0-16 season when he allowed the final 4th down pass to sail through his hands that clinched the final loss to the Steelers.

That being said - no one is perfect, and Corey is still just 23 years old. He still has a bunch of learning and growing up to do. Corey is a very fast receiver, and would help soften the loss of Paul Richardson to the Redskins. I think a change of scenery would be best for Corey and the Browns. Maybe he can realize his full potential with Russell Wilson.

Pick 64: Any pick in the first two rounds is considered a "premium pick". Shipping this pick west will help to facilitate this trade. There always is risk with any trade, but this pick offers some peace of mind if Corey fails to develop into the full blown NFL star we had envisioned for him.

4th rounder: Generally where core special teamers are found that every NFL roster needs. Ocassionally, you hit on a long term starter here.

#18 back to the Browns: We would surely be using this pick to target one of the premier LT prospects - Kolton Miller, Mike McGlinchey, or Connor Williams. Word on the street around town is the three most important positions will be addressed in this draft: QB at 1, Pass Rusher at 4, and LT with our next selection. Joe Thomas will be hard to replace - but what I have proposed I feel is fair. (No, I have not looked at any trade charts or the like).

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I am a New York Giants' fan, and every trade proposal suggested by Cleveland fans has the Browns trading away Corey Coleman for Something Worth More. Like Odell Beckham. I have seen proposals floated where the Browns send Corey Coleman, as though he were a valuable trading chip, and something else, for Odell. The implication is that Coleman is an attractive replacement for Odell Beckham, one prized enough to entice the Giants to move Odell- as long as they got Corey Coleman in return!!!

You get the sense that Browns fans are hopeful of unloading the nothing-much-so far Coleman, to some team still valuing him like a first-round pick; they apparently hope that this disappointment that they want to be rid of  will still be in high demand by some other team, so that the Browns get a high return for a low price.

If there is an NFL team out there that still thinks that Corey Coleman is a hot commodity, and that he plus other picks will net Odell Beckham or some other high-value picks or players, I will be interested to see them.

Honestly, I don't like that trade very much.  I think Coleman was a really good prospect coming out of Baylor.  I don't hold his lack of production against him because the Browns have just been in terrible shape since he has been in the league, especially at the quarterback position.  I think if Coleman was on a team with a high powered offense, he could be a critical piece for that team.  The thing about the Seahawks is, I would really like a bigger bodied receiver to better compliment Doug Baldwin.  Coleman could replace Paul Richardson, but honestly, the offensive line is such a massive need.  Running back is a huge need.  The team just can't afford to trade a first rounder for a wide receiver.

Btw, I'm really confident in the Browns turning things around.  They have talent on their team, they just really need a competent QB very badly and I think they get one in this draft.

1 hour ago, bzane said:

My thoughts are that I am a New York Giants' fan, and every trade proposal suggested by Cleveland fans has the Browns trading away Corey Coleman for Something Worth More. Like Odell Beckham. I have seen proposals floated where the Browns send Corey Coleman, as though he were a valuable trading chip, and something else, for Odell. The implication is that Coleman is an attractive replacement for Odell Beckham, one prized enough to entice the Giants to move Odell- as long as they got Corey Coleman in return!!!

You get the sense that Browns fans are hopeful of unloading the nothing-much-so far Coleman, to some team still valuing him like a first-round pick; they apparently hope that this disappointment that they want to be rid of  will still be in high demand by some other team, so that the Browns get a high return for a low price.

If there is an NFL team out there that still thinks that Corey Coleman is a hot commodity, and that he plus other picks will net Odell Beckham or some other high-value picks or players, I will be interested to see them.

I will only offer these points as a reply.

Isn't the the point of any trade that any team makes to feel like they bettered themselves?

And what does this trade proposal have to do with the New York Giants? It was posted in a Seahawks forum. Your reply mentions nothing of that team, their players, their fans or their city.

I am not going to impugn the good fans of Seattle by carrying this any further on their turf. Let's just agree to disagree. Your reply was just out there.

35 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I will only offer these points as a reply.

Isn't the the point of any trade that any team makes to feel like they bettered themselves?

And what does this trade proposal have to do with the New York Giants? It was posted in a Seahawks forum. Your reply mentions nothing of that team, their players, their fans or their city.

I am not going to impugn the good fans of Seattle by carrying this any further on their turf. Let's just agree to disagree. Your reply was just out there.

And my point was the constant, and transparent, over-valuation of Corey Coleman by Browns' fans in these fantasy scenarios.

Time and again I have seen Coleman offered, as though he were an enticing trade chip, for Odell Beckham. It comes across as a hope that the Browns will recoup something for an over-drafted and disappointing pick. I'm guessing the thinking goes that the Giants' front office, in considering such an offer, would think that Coleman represents a suitable replacement for the departing Beckham. I suggest that he does not remotely approach the value of OBJ. I suggest that his inclusion in an offer for Beckham will not interest the Giants. I cannot conceive of any such trade taking place. This is wishful thinking on the part of hopeful Cleveland fans. 

I happened to read this similar proposal here- Coleman as part of a package for the #18-overall pick. This is again an unrealistic hope that the Browns might recover value for a misspent first-round draft pick. A player whom the Browns could readily do without. The Seahawks would have to be very foolish indeed to fall for such a Fool's Gold offer. I do not believe they are. I do not imagine they would entertain such a proposal. I do not believe the Cleveland Browns are going to recover much value for Corey Coleman. The price they paid for this player- the #15 pick in the first round- will come to be viewed as a sunk cost. They will have to live with it, as will their fans.

I, too, respect the fans of the Seattle Seahawks on this board, and will not burden them further- other than to predict that their front office is unlikely to be swayed by such an offer. And I will disagree with you.

maybe a different trade can be worked out part-way into the season

I'd like to see more from him; having a bad ending to a season can get into your head while you sit with it for months, 'specially for a young player who has had more than their share of misfortunes.

My thoughts as a former Browns fan:

1.  This is a terrible draft to try and find a multi-year starter at LT.  Definitely worse than last year, and that was the worst in recent history.  Good luck replacing Joe Thomas in the 2018 draft.

2.  Corey Coleman's trade value in this scenario is a high 2nd/low 1st.  I actually love his game more than most, but that's not where his value is.  He's definitely worth more to the Browns than he would be worth in trade, with uncertain futures for Gordon and Landry.  Talent-wise, I think he's better than Landry, but his injury history and lack of production remove virtually all of his trade value at this time.  And let's face it, the Browns are in no position to be trading away talented players on rookie deals.  

3.  No need to muddy the trade waters with perceived player value.  33 + 64 + 114 would get you there, or damn close.

Archived