2018 Safeties to be drafted in Round 1

Shylo3716

This year, it appears as if this group will be overlooked due to the light being shed on other positions. But how many safeties do you project to be selected in the first-round this year?

Also, what is your take on the top rated guys at the position (Derwin James/Justin Reid/Ronnie Harrison)?

In this order:

1. Derwin James (4-10 range)

2. Minkah Fitzpatrick (10-15 range)

3. Ronnie Harrison (15-32 range)

Justin Reid, Jesse Bates, and Deshon Elliot will all go in the mid-late 2nd round.

Quin Blanding will be the best value and will likely not come off the board until round 4.

I think Derwin/Fitz/Harrison are the only three that have a shot to go in the 1st.

27 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

In this order:

Justin Reid, Jesse Bates, and Deshon Elliot will all go in the mid-late 2nd round.

Quin Blanding will be the best value and will likely not come off the board until round 4.

I think Derwin/Fitz/Harrison are the only three that have a shot to go in the 1st.

Ronnie Harrison seems to be at a standstill as far as anyone speaking on his projection.

44 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Reid is a first round talent imo. More than one reason he won’t go there and I don’t think football is the only reason why.

You and I are on the same page. I touched base on it a week ago before my thread was locked.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

You guys really think Justin Reid is a lock to be a 1st rounder if not for his brothers protest? That seems like a major stretch to me. 

I won't get into the protest, but Reid is talented. Solid production, elite testing numbers, and apparently he was one of the best interviews people have heard in a long time. He's smart and alert on the field, and has a ton of positional flexibility. Stanford lined him up all over the place: box, slot, deep, etc. He's Fitzpatrick-lite (a tier down, but still a similar player).

Oh, and watch him rush the passer:

https://twitter.com/ShortAttnSpan15/status/968176816526684160

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

You guys really think Justin Reid is a lock to be a 1st rounder if not for his brothers protest? That seems like a major stretch to me. 

this won't be a factor if he does not go round one

Reid is interesting for me as alot of media members/scouts really trashed his tape and after his impressive combine backed up and praised the same tape months later lol

but to answer the original question I'll say James/Fitzpatrick go round one followed by a run on safeties coming round two (Bates/Harrison/Reid/etc)

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

In this order:

You hate Elliott and think he sucks, do NFL evaluators not see what you see? 

5 hours ago, Jlash said:

You hate Elliott and think he sucks, do NFL evaluators not see what you see? 

I don't think he sucks, but he's definitely overrated. He's not fast laterally and a lot of his production came off of horrendous throws from the opposing QB's. I don't see him being athletic enough to cover deep and I don't know if he's physical enough to play in the box. He's a heck of a striker, but I don't think he can essentially play OLB in a 4-4 cover 3 look. He strikes me as a very meh 2-deep safety that will be an average at best starter. Nothing about his game screams NFL stud to me so putting him in the 1st round is insane.

And I don't understand the question you're posing.

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nothing about his game screams NFL stud to me so putting him in the 1st round is insane.

Who puts him in round 1? 

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

And I don't understand the question you're posing.

You said he's got the athleticism of a slug.You say he can't cover and isn't physical enough to play in the box. 

I think my question is easy. Can't cover, can't playin the box in your mind. Yet you predict him going mid 2nd:

giphy.gif

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Justin Reid are the clear-cut top of the draft safeties imo. Fitz is just about the best prospect in the entire draft if you ask me. Reid is close but I have him as more of a top 15 prospect. Jesse Bates III is good and offers some return ability. Ronnie Harrison should be a second round pick and start for a few seasons but play in the league for many more seasons. Derwin James Jr. is a very good athlete with some leadership qualities and will likely be a first round pick. The safety class overall is very good.

Archived