2018 Safeties to be drafted in Round 1

Shylo3716

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Justin Reid are the clear-cut top of the draft safeties imo. Fitz is just about the best prospect in the entire draft if you ask me. Reid is close but I have him as more of a top 15 prospect. Jesse Bates III is good and offers some return ability. Ronnie Harrison should be a second round pick and start for a few seasons but play in the league for many more seasons. Derwin James Jr. is a very good athlete with some leadership qualities and will likely be a first round pick. The safety class overall is very good.

Well, Mayock was a Safety in the NFL and if there is one position he is good at predicting almost perfectly, it is the Safety position and he has Reid as his 5th Safety in his positional rankings and that speaks volumes to me!!! So, I do not expect him to go round 1, but he should be a solid 2nd rounder.

13 hours ago, Jlash said:

Who puts him in round 1? 

You said he's got the athleticism of a slug.You say he can't cover and isn't physical enough to play in the box. 

I think my question is easy. Can't cover, can't playin the box in your mind. Yet you predict him going mid 2nd:

I remember distinctly people arguing with me in a thread that he was a mid 1st round pick. I can't remember if it was in a mock draft or the actual draft forum, but several people distinctly said he was a 1st rounder.

I think the reason he goes in the 2nd round is because he does have excellent instincts. He also has a lot of production, which will vault his stock. I don't think he's abysmal as a prospect. I think he'll do ok as a deep safety. WIll probably give up some yards, but he won't give up massive touchdowns due to broken plays. I expect him to have a Tashaun Gipson kind of career. People might say Gipson is pretty damn good, but I personally see him as overrated despite his statistical numbers. Elliot is a middle of the pack starting FS to me. I think you had better be an exceptional athlete to be a 1st round FS, as others were arguing. He's simply not athletic enough to cover the amount of space necessary to be a superstar in an NFL secondary. And again, playing SS is not really great for his game either, as he's not very good at diagnosing the run and playing in traffic. He's not afraid to strike guys and come down to make tackles, but he doesn't have the true outside linebacker instincts to play there consistently. He is a deep safety.

Archived