Should the Vikings have kept Case?

aceinthehouse

It is an interesting theory, but IMO, Cousins should be even better playing in a dome full time, every franchise QB dreams about what it would be like to play half your games in a dome where weather has zero effect.

I am sure Minny gave a lot of thought to keeping Keenum, but in the end, came to the conclusion, that he simply wasn't a good enough QB to consistently take them to the playoffs and with Rodgers returning to full health, they knew they would be in for a very tough battle to stay competitive.

You do not get a second chance with these decisions, it was take the leap or forever put your faith in Keenum, a career backup till last season, vs a proven franchise QB, who might even play better now that he would play all his home games in a dome!

Cousins record in  a dome is probably misleading as almost all QB's who play in a dome are stars and probably only a few QB's have winning records against the Peytons', Brees, Lucks' , Romos' Ryans' and Staffords' of the league, when they play them in a dome!!!

I think if you want to play with the big boys on the block, you get a proven franchise QB or watch your return to mediocrity!!!

The NFC N is going to be No Excuses. The Bears are loading up on help for Mitch T. The Lions just jumped to the top of the draft. The Packers are gearing up. The Vikings are ready.

Prediction

Vikings take division, Packers take WC. One of these teams is SB bound.

1 hour ago, Buddyboy said:

The NFC N is going to be No Excuses. The Bears are loading up on help for Mitch T. The Lions just jumped to the top of the draft. The Packers are gearing up. The Vikings are ready.

Prediction

Wait, what have the Packers done to "gear up"?

Every team aims to get better in the off-season, but I don't see what big moves the Packers have made other than firing Capers and signing Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson, two players with big question marks. They lost Morgan Burnett though, and their defense overall hasn't been decent in a long time. And they still don't have a running game. Or at least, a difference maker at runningback. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Wait, what have the Packers done to "gear up"?

Every team aims to get better in the off-season, but I don't see what big moves the Packers have made other than firing Capers and signing Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson, two players with big question marks. They lost Morgan Burnett though, and their defense overall hasn't been decent in a long time. And they still don't have a running game. Or at least, a difference maker at runningback. 

They fired their DC, their reinventing their offensive playbook,  their secondary is going to look totally different than it did last year (Whether that is a good thing I don't really know),and they will have their QB back who happens to be one of the best in the league. Obviously you don't watch much of the Packers if you think the running game is a concern. We have two rookies that both showed promise. Jamaal Williams showed some promise at the position although I wouldn't really consider him anything other than average. Aaron Jones on the other hand showed special potential. The sample size is small but in 81 attempts he was rushing for a whopping 5.5 Y/A and looked the part. That's not even mentioning the fact that with Hundley starting last year teams did not fear the passing attack at all so just stacked the box. 

I think "Gear Up" probably is the wrong wording but this will not be the same Packers team of last year. 

2 hours ago, Buddyboy said:

Prediction

Looks like someone fell for an April Fool's joke.

No, the Vikings made the right move of getting the better QB. And if I'm not mistaken, they did it where they didn't have to get rid of one of their core pieces. Keenum played very solid last season and possibly above his actual talent, but that is the type of play you should be getting from Cousins for the next three years. And I don't see why he can't perform even better than that with a very good supporting cast. We saw what the Vikings could be with that type of QB play and that shouldn't change with Cousins. There was still some doubt if Keenum could replicate that type of season again. 

49 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

They fired their DC, their reinventing their offensive playbook,  their secondary is going to look totally different than it did last year (Whether that is a good thing I don't really know),and they will have their QB back who happens to be one of the best in the league. Obviously you don't watch much of the Packers if you think the running game is a concern. We have two rookies that both showed promise. Jamaal Williams showed some promise at the position although I wouldn't really consider him anything other than average. Aaron Jones on the other hand showed special potential. The sample size is small but in 81 attempts he was rushing for a whopping 5.5 Y/A and looked the part. That's not even mentioning the fact that with Hundley starting last year teams did not fear the passing attack at all so just stacked the box. 

I think "Gear Up" probably is the wrong wording but this will not be the same Packers team of last year. 

I mean, they can change their playbook and defensive setup as much as they want. At the end of the day though talent is talent. What gamebreakers do they have on defense? 

Aaron Rodgers will be back. Okay. That doesn't mean the Packers are "loading up". He's there every season, and they haven't been back to the Super Bowl since the defense wasn't a joke. Rodgers being around to me means more likely that he'll have to drag the team as usual. How is that "loading up"? 

Jamaal Williams running for 556 yards and averaging 3.6 yards a pop isn't potential I'd get excited about. You said he's average. So he has the potential to be average? Aaron Jones could be anything with what little sample size he's provided. Like I said, the Packers still don't have an established difference maker at runningback. 

No team is the same as the previous season. All teams get better in the offseason. The person I quoted said the Packers are gearing up, and are potentially going to the Super Bowl. Getting Graham, Wilkerson, and firing Capers doesn't scream "we're headed to the Super Bowl" to me.  

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, the Vikings made the right move of getting the better QB. And if I'm not mistaken, they did it where they didn't have to get rid of one of their pieces. Keenum played very solid last season and possibly above his actual talent, but that is the type of play you should be getting from Cousins for the next three years. And I don't see why he can't perform even better than that with a very good supporting cast. We saw what the Vikings could be with that type of QB play and that shouldn't change with Cousins. There was still some doubt if Keenum could replicate that type of season again. 

this is as succinct of a statement of the reality of the situation as i have ever read, from anyone.

22 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

But I admit, I didn't catch all that game. Maybe it was Case's fault?

Minnesota was dominated in every phase of the ball game sans the first drive where our 3rd string MLB (who is no longer on the team) Najee Goode was burned by Kyle Rudolph.

Archived