New Forum Features

y2lamanaki

Greetings 49ers forum! 

Here is a quick overview of some cool new features of the new forum. For now, these features are only tested on the desktop site and not the accompanying mobile version. As I find more tricks, I'll add them here! 

Quick "BBCode": 

First off, gone are the days of the tedious BBCcode tags (brackets surrounding letters - but those still work as well). Now you can quickly type in code to bold, underline, italicize all without it. CTRL + B for bold, CTRL + U for underline. CTRL + I for italics. Simply tap it again to turn it off. If someone figures out a shortcut for strikethrough let me know!

Quick Quote: 

Now you can quickly quote another post. Simply highlight the part of the post you want to quote and then wait for the dialog box to appear and click on "quote this." Example: 

forum0.png

MultiQuote:

You can now also quote multiple individuals or posts consecutively with ease. After the body of each post, simply click on the little plus sign icon before the word quote and then select the "Quote (#) posts" button down bottom. Once you have selected the post to quote, it will show a plus sign icon. Example: 

forum1.png

Twitter Embed: 

Now you can quickly embed a tweet rather than copy/paste/quoting it. First thing is to go find the tweet you want on Twitter. Then click the little down arrow to the right of the tweet and select "Copy link to Tweet." 

forum2.png

From there, it's as easy as copying and pasting the link. The forum does the rest of the work:

Easy image/video posting:

This one's as easy as it gets. Simply copy the URL of the image or video, paste, and the forum does the work! Example of embedded video:

Post Preview: 

From the forum topic page, you can now hover over a link and get a quick preview on the post. 

forum3.png

Signature Help:

Having trouble figuring out how to access your signature, or viewing signatures in general? Make sure to check your account settings. Start by clicking on the dropdown menu next to your username at the top of the page and clicking on 'Account Settings.' 

forum4.png

From there, click on the signature tab and make sure you have checked 'View Signatures':

forum5.png

Forum Member Mentions: 

Similar to Facebook or Twitter, you can now tag a forum member in a post and send them an alert. Simply type the @ symbol and then the forum member's name to give them a shout-out. @y2lamanaki wants you to remember - forum rules still apply. You may NOT call out a member for negative reasons which includes, but is not limited to, personal attacks, trolling, flaming, or otherwise "forcing" another member to answer to past comments. 

Customization:

Notifications and Private Messages

At the top right of the forum, you'll see two icons.  The bell represents your notifications.  When someone quotes you, you'll receive a notification that you were quoted and by clicking on that notification it will take you to the post.  Likewise, when someone uses the mention feature (more on that in a second), it'll alert you that someone has used your username.  Similarly, it will notify when you've received a private message, someone has posted in a thread that you follow, etc.

The second icon is the Private Message (PM) icon.  If you click on that icon, you can check your inbox and see all of your messages.  It's set up for you to have 50 active conversations, and if you want to have more you'll need to delete older messages.

Ignore Feature

Ever have issues with posters you view as trolls or simply do not want to read what they post?  Simply set your account to ignore them, and never see their posts again.  At the top right of the forum, you'll see your username.  Click on that and select "Ignored Users".  Simply type in the username of the poster you want to ignore, choose which types of posts (i.e. post, messages, signature, and mentions) you want to be ignored and select "Add User". 

After you have ignored them, threads will show that they have made a post but it was hidden from you based on your settings.

Profile Features

From any page, you can access your profile by clicking your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Click Profile from the drop down menu.
LNRcflV.png

Changing your AvatarKzajJAe.png
On the left of your screen, click the button with a photo on it. 

After clicking this, you may upload a photo, link to a photo or choose to not have an avatar.

After choosing a photo, you will be brought to a screen to position your photo. From here, you may crop, resize or reposition your photo.

Changing your Cover Photo
bP2uV2G.png

On the right side of your profile is a Cover Photo button. You may choose to upload a photo, remove or reposition a photo you already have.

Adding information to your profile
Clicking the Edit Profile button brings up an overlay that allows you to add information to your profile.
fgYiquU.png

Remember to click save when you are finished.

That's a quick overview for now. If you come across something you think should be here, let me know and I'll add it in!

Archived