WR Roster Battle Thread

packerjmf

Figured we could use a thread for the annual "we have too many promising WRs" thread. I think most would agree that our top three WRs are locks with Jordy, Adams, and Cobb. After those three though it gets a little fuzzy. Davis, Janis, Allison, Yancey, Dupre, McCaffery, Clark, Crockett, and Pearson are all fighting for somewhere between 2-4 spots. A few things to note - Alison will start the year suspended so he wouldn't count on the final roster cutdown. With three capable TE pass catching options, more value may be placed at the position for ST value than usual since it doesn't seem too likely anyone past WR#4 will see significant offensive playing time barring several significant injuries (Jordy, Adams, Cobb, Bennett, Kendricks, Richard Rodgers, and Monty give us 7 legit receiving options). 

21 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Are we convinced that Geronimo isn't going to do the "promising undrafted rookie who fails to progress" thing we've seen in the past (e.g. Diondre Borel)?

I know there's been a lot of discussion about Geronimo's place on the roster (especially during the draft when we got Yancey and Dupre late). Personally I didn't see much from him last year that has me super optimistic about his long term outlook and development. I felt most of this production came from other guys getting keyed in on. Granted, he did make catches when they came his way, but I don't think he's anything special. The suspension may work in his favor though because I don't see us cutting him until after he comes back from suspension after week 1, which at the point (given our luck), someone will probably be going to IR.

47 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Are we convinced that Geronimo isn't going to do the "promising undrafted rookie who fails to progress" thing we've seen in the past (e.g. Diondre Borel)?

Weren't the early "reports" that Allison has entrenched him as the 4th best WR?  Obviously, it's early.

19 hours ago, squire12 said:

Entrenched as it he came is a the #4 and after the first week he remains there?

LIS, I don't remember where the quote came from.  My guess is he came into camp as the #4 WR based on what he did last year, but it's anything but a given that he stays there.

Anyone else feel like Yancey and Dupre are competing for the same spot?  Obviously, you've got mortal locks with Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams.  And after that, Jeff Janis has the ST value edge although if Trevor Davis can continue to perform in this aspect he has that leg up there as well.  Geronimo Allison played the best of the non-top 3 WR from last year, so you'd have to figure there's an edge there if he continues to play well.  So IF the Packers do opt to keep 7 WR, does Yancey/Dupre offer more than Janis/Davis?

Jeff Janis is like not good at football Jordy Nelson.

I think some of the WR numbers may depend on the amount that the TEs and RBs may contribute or overlap on offense.  There are also 5 returning safeties, and a second round draft pick, that will compete for some of these special teams roles.

Would it be too far out if they went with: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Allison, Davis, and an extra TE and/or S?

If Janis hasn't taken a pretty significant step at WR, I don't see the point of keeping him over guys who might be able to.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Davis, Yancey, Dupree

Allison doesn't have the physical upside, Janis doesn't seem to have the mental upside, from what we've seen so far anyway. Both Yancey and Dupree are flashing more physical talent than Allison already and are picking up the NFL game at a decent pace as well. It may be a little bit of a risk, but I think this 6 have the most upside.

If you keep a 7th, it's Janis, but you may as well just list him on the roster as ST because I really don't think he has much value on offense.

14 minutes ago, spilltray said:

If Janis hasn't taken a pretty significant step at WR, I don't see the point of keeping him over guys who might be able to.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Davis, Yancey, Dupree

Allison doesn't have the physical upside, Janis doesn't seem to have the mental upside, from what we've seen so far anyway. Both Yancey and Dupree are flashing more physical talent than Allison already and are picking up the NFL game at a decent pace as well. It may be a little bit of a risk, but I think this 6 have the most upside.

If you keep a 7th, it's Janis, but you may as well just list him on the roster as ST because I really don't think he has much value on offense.

Both Dupree and Yancey have practice squad eligiblity, Janis does not.  It is just over a week of camp.  Not much to read into things.   Janis made a good deal of splash plays during his rookie camp as well.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Both Dupree and Yancey have practice squad eligiblity, Janis does not.  It is just over a week of camp.  Not much to read into things.   Janis made a good deal of splash plays during his rookie camp as well.

You have to imagine that if the cuts are close, Janis has the edge because of his ST value.  Quite frankly, it's one of the reasons why I think Yancey and Dupre are likely competing for the same spot.  Wouldn't surprise me if Trevor Davis and Janis are competing for the same spot.  Something like Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Allison, Davis/Janis, and Dupre/Yancey could be our WR on our 53 man roster.

Archived