WR Roster Battle Thread

packerjmf

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

well, given that allison is suspended it will be nelson, cobb, adams as the only locks.  Then you have davis and Janis and one of dupre/yancey IMO.  So it's really allison/davis/janis/dupre/yancey/McCaffrey for 3 spots.  

I guess I was speaking once everyone was healthy and not suspended.  Obviously, for the first game they don't have to count Allison but if they stay healthy who do you release?

I just don't think Janis is even close to safe. He's good on ST sure, but last year wasn't as good as the year before, and you kept him hoping he would be able to develop as a WR, which he really hasn't. If you write him off as a WR, I don't think you for sure keep guys just for ST outside of the 3 they do already (K/P/LS).

Allison is comfortable, but he is probably the least physically talented WR on the roster right now. He could still win a spot, but when you are talking the #4-5-6 WR, I"d prefer guys with more developmental upside

I'm not really worried about who has PS eligibility. It's going to be a gamble to get any of them on the PS that I don't count on.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

I just don't think Janis is even close to safe. He's good on ST sure, but last year wasn't as good as the year before, and you kept him hoping he would be able to develop as a WR, which he really hasn't. If you write him off as a WR, I don't think you for sure keep guys just for ST outside of the 3 they do already (K/P/LS).

Only if you consider playoffs in which every other receiver is hurt as a part of it.  If you look solely at regular season performance, last year was his best year. 

And why is everybody so quick to write him off as a receiver?  Is he the first case of a receiver struggling to put it together and get on the field with the Packers?  I'm going to use Cobb as an example even though he didn't necessarily struggle his first three years, but rather just to show a trend of fourth year receivers playing here.

Takes a lot of recent Packer/WR history neglect to think Janis isn't safe heading into his fourth year. 

Cobb - First three years, 136 receptions, 1762 yards, 13 touchdowns
Cobb - Year four, 91 receptions, 1,287 yards, 12 touchdowns.

Nelson - First three years, 100 receptions, 1,268 yards, 6 touchdowns
Nelson - Year four, 68 receptions, 1,263 yards, 15 touchdowns.

And, of course, Packers all-time leading receiver, sixth round draft pick Donald Driver.

Driver - First three years, 37 receptions, 520 yards, 3 touchdowns
Driver - Year four, 70 receptions, 1,064 yards, 9 touchdowns.

But everybody still wants to write off Jeff Janis even though he's literally the most physically gifted receiver the Packers have had in the past ten, maybe 20 years.  All because they want Allison to make the team instead.  People act like his 12 receptions, 200 yards and 2 touchdowns was a breakout rookie season somehow.  I don't understand the love for him.

And this whole 4th year thing is not just a Packers thing either.  Look at the fourth year jumps other later round receivers have made.  I'm not going to do it for you, but look at Rishard Matthews, Pierre Garcon, Emmanuel Sanders, and most specifically, look at Antonio Brown.  His first year was nothing exciting.  His second year was maybe this guy could be a nice addition to the receivers.  His third year was maybe this guy is going to have a nice career.  His fourth year was holy crap, this guy could go to the Hall of Fame if he keeps it up.

If you select a receiver after the first round, they're not going to be that ready, and that continues the later you draft them.  It's why I'm not getting this lack of love for two of the fastest receivers we've ever had in Davis and Janis.  I guess it's this need for instant gratification that makes people write people off if they're not super good right away.

It's the biggest reason why I dislike drafting players that are already old, especially if they're not a first round pick.  It takes time for a lot of players to grow into their potential.  But since Allison came in and had 12 whole catches and 200 whole yards, people want him more than a receiver and special teamer who has been in this system on this team for three years now without a hint of off-field concerns.  It's why people want Yancey or Dupre to make the team instead because they want that instant gratification.  And if either of them did make the team over Janis, and if they didn't have 20 catches in their rookie year, people would be writing them off next year.

Just think about how many people wrote off Donald Driver as an afterthought for his entire first three years. 

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was hoping we landed a steal in Malachi Dupre, but so far it seems he's getting outperformed by McCaffrey, and Yancey.  Hopefully the preseason games will tell the tale.  Sounds like McCaffrey has been impressive.

Don't know where you've been reading but Dupre has far outperformed those two from everything I've read.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't think you for sure keep guys just for ST outside of the 3 they do already (K/P/LS).

I don't know if keeping Jeff Janis around because he's good on special teams but hoping you don't have to play him at WR is really all that different from keeping Jarrett Bush around because he's good on special teams but you hope you don't have to play him at CB, which is a thing they did for quite a few years.  Your 6th WR isn't really anybody you hope to throw the ball to very much, but if he's not good on STs he's going to be a gameday scratch.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't know where you've been reading but Dupre has far outperformed those two from everything I've read.

Listening to Nagler too much, probably.  Also read some practice reports at Packer Notes.  I heard Yancey had a really good practice yesterday or the day before.  I've heard a lot of buzz about McCaffrey.  I haven't heard much on Dupre.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Listening to Nagler too much, probably.  Also read some practice reports at Packer Notes.  I heard Yancey had a really good practice yesterday or the day before.  I've heard a lot of buzz about McCaffrey.  I haven't heard much on Dupre.

Dupre has had some impressive catches and capped it off with a bomb from Rodgers on Family Night. Yancey has struggled from what I see, I hope he gets it, but right now his routes and hands are iffy.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Dupre has had some impressive catches and capped it off with a bomb from Rodgers on Family Night. Yancey has struggled from what I see, I hope he gets it, but right now his routes and hands are iffy.

Well, that's good to hear .. I haven't seen anything personally, and I'm not sure the people I'm listening to know what the hell they are talking about ;)  Going into the season I thought Dupre would probably land a roster spot, and Yancey would wind up on the practice squad despite being a higher pick.  We'll see how it plays out.

Archived