Josh Allen

Kiwibrown

drafting josh Allen  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Id draft Josh Allen

23 minutes ago, mission27 said:

This kind of supports my theory that Josh Allen is stupid tbh

No its evidence that Josh Allen was like every other teenager ever and made poor choices then.  This reeks of '83 when reports came out the night before the draft that Marino had a substance problem.  Rumor has it that it was the dolphins who started that.  Kinda wonder if the people who dug this up work for a team.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

No its evidence that Josh Allen was like every other teenager ever and made poor choices then.  This reeks of '83 when reports came out the night before the draft that Marino had a substance problem.  Rumor has it that it was the dolphins who started that.  Kinda wonder if the people who dug this up work for a team.

LOL

A planted rumor with no credible evidence vs. actual tweets, digitally proven, which a guy admits to. Yes, some serious Sherlock Holmes type effort to "dig that up" for a team.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Didn't he score the highest of the big 5 on the Wonderlic? I'm not really asking, he did: 2018 QB Wonderlic results.

I’m aware but I also have sources close to him, who say he’s not that bright

I don’t have that big an issue with the tweets themselves cause he was a kid but kind of questionable to not have scrubbed that **** going into the draft process

49 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I’m aware but I also have sources close to him, who say he’s not that bright

I don’t have that big an issue with the tweets themselves cause he was a kid but kind of questionable to not have scrubbed that **** going into the draft process

I put that more on his agent then on him.

Stupid all around though.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

A planted rumor with no credible evidence vs. actual tweets, digitally proven, which a guy admits to. Yes, some serious Sherlock Holmes type effort to "dig that up" for a team.

A theory two people in the past hour now have floated: another team plotted to have Josh Allen’s racially insensitive tweets put out just before the draft in order to increase the chances he would fall in the draft to that team.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Thats my theory as well, its simply not a coincidence that it came out immediately before the draft.  Somebody could have dug these up months ago 

Doesnt sound like its going to effect his stock at all. Which is the way it should be.

mission's final proclamation for all of history

Complete studs, worthy of the #1 pick, pick your favorite flavor: 

Rosen - Favorite QB prospect in years tbh.  He's gonna be so good.  

Darnold - Really really high upside but I see him as a big risk, better fit somewhere like Cleveland where he wont be expected to do much early on. 

A lot of upside but wouldn't spend a top-3 pick on:

Allen - Feels too much like Jamarcus Russell but hope I'm wrong 

Mayfield - Feels too much like Manziel but hope I'm wrong 

Very underrated possible Barkley esque potential:

Rudolph - Guy has the full package really like him

Obviously very gifted but concerned how it will translate to the pros: 

Jackson - Guy has a lot of talent, he's not a complete non starter like a Tim Tebow for example, but can he deal with NFL offenses and defenses? 

Lot of other intriguing guys too very good class but only the top-2 seem like slam dunks and maybe Mason R

Wouldn't change my status on him what so ever. Might drop him a spot or two for some teams.

I would consider a drug problem more of a problem then someone saying "racially insensitive" remarks like 5 or 6 years ago.

I mean unless he published a story talking about what a great book Mein Kampf. I can't imagine this causing a big rift in a locker room or with a team. But if this drops him 3 rounds and the Cowboys pick him up and develop him for trade bait. Im all for it.

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Thats my theory as well, its simply not a coincidence that it came out immediately before the draft.  Somebody could have dug these up months ago 

Doesnt sound like its going to effect his stock at all. Which is the way it should be.

I like the theory that someone put out that it may have been a team. I think if he drops a bit further then expected the team who drafts him is the one who put it out.

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I like the theory that someone put out that it may have been a team. I think if he drops a bit further then expected the team who drafts him is the one who put it out.

I think it might b the cards, but it doesn't sound like its effected his stock at all so i dont think we'll ever know

On 16/04/2018 at 10:04 PM, VanS said:

Are you just taking that on faith or do you have stats that actually take into account system differences?

This is my problem with the stats/analytics crowd.  They'll argue numbers all day before the draft.  Then when the guys who don't meet their standards succeed, they'll just say those guys were outliers and start the same process again.  My view is simple.  Yes stats matters.  It would be foolish to say otherwise.  But watching the games is more important.  The reason most QBs with a sub 60% completion percentage fail in the NFL is because they stink.  And you can see that they stink based on their tape.  But then very rarely there are guys like Josh Allen who when you watch him play is actually much better than the stats suggest.  And the poor numbers can be explained based on what one sees on tape.  All I'll say is I shared your skepticism of him as well before I watched the tape.  Stats as poor as his are hard to overlook.  But the tape always wins for me.  And I found Josh Allen to be a SPECTACULAR player when I watched him on tape.  I have no concerns about his accuracy regardless of what the box scores say. 

Josh Allen should be a good example moving forward of what wins out (analytics or the tape).  I just hope both sides learn from him whether he succeeds or fails.  If Josh Allen fails, I will have to take analytics more seriously even if I love the tape.  And if he succeeds, I would hope you realize there is more to the game than the box scores afterwards.

My view is that the statistics largely take system into account when we're talking about Cam Newton and Josh Allen.  Statistics is a tool to evaluate QBs--certainly not the only tool or even necessarily the most importan--but an important tool nevertheless. I consider some statistical thresholds important to consider. One of them is a QB''s overall completion % history. Very inaccurate QBs largely don't become accurate QBs in the NFL.

Now I watched Josh Allen on tape and see the completion % threshold reaffirmed. I don't see a good NFL QB in Josh Allen. While his pocket presence and mechanics are decent, Allen's accuracy is below average and he stares down receivers. Allen throws better outside than pocket than inside it. He relies on his rocket arm and athleticism to win, and has questionable decision making. He's like a less accurate Carson Wentz, or a poor man's Jay Cutler, so I presume that's why people are so high on him. The same Wentz that Foles replaced and arguably outperformed

Ultimately I think a poor man's Carson Wentz or Jay Cutler is a bust. I'm not high on strong arm, athletic, inaccurate QBs with little production. I don't even think Allen reaches Joe Flacco's average level as a NFL QB because Flacco was more accurate coming out. Cardale Jones--and I know you don't want to hear this but here it is--has more real potential than Allen because Cardale has similar physical dimensions paired with better pedigree and numbers coming out. 

Archived