The Book Thread

Heimdallr

In 2016 i read something like 35 books.  Last year was 51.  This year i'm going to be closer to 35 again i think, because my challenge is to read only Non-Fiction for the first 6 months (trying to do about 10 of them before end of June).

I just finished Alexander Hamilton.  Took me 2 months, when usually i can knock out a book in 1-2 weeks.  But it was dense.

Now i'm on Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics.  Hoping to be done with this one in 1-2 weeks.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I just finished Alexander Hamilton.  Took me 2 months, when usually i can knock out a book in 1-2 weeks.  But it was dense.

I've heard that one was great. You should check out The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt.  

41 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I've heard that one was great. You should check out The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt.  

Thanks for the recommendation.  You're reading my mind.  I was looking for a good biography on Teddy, and another for Abraham Lincoln.

Probably one on Thomas Jefferson too, who is painted in a really bad light in Alexander Hamilton.  i want to see what other authors dig up on him.

Only time I get to read for pleasure is in the morning during a certain part of my routine. I have a book called "The Code: Football’s Unwritten Rules and Its Ignore-at-Your-Own-Risk Code of Honor"

It's not written that well, but a very interesting look at football - how guys act in the locker room, how they deal with retaliation, cheap shots, steroids, cheating...at the least, it's an entertaining read. It's got some good insight from guys like Conrad Dobler, Dan Dierdorf, Bernie Kosar, John Randle, Rich Gannon and a bunch of ex-players.

I do need another good football book to occupy me in the AM.

In the middle of quite a bit right now. Reading "Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few" by Robert Reich, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, "Oathbringer" by Brandon Sanderson, and always rereading the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Have a couple books by Dr. Michio Kaku I plan on getting to soon as well.

Archived