The Book Thread

Heimdallr

• 1 month later...

Was not aware that Pillars of the Earth had a 3rd book released.

Checked out the 1st years back. Just grabbed the 2nd and 3rd. Called "World without End" and "A column of fire".

Anyone read them? I know they take place 150 years after the first. But are they worthy and as good as the 1st?

On 9/24/2018 at 5:23 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Was not aware that Pillars of the Earth had a 3rd book released.

Checked out the 1st years back. Just grabbed the 2nd and 3rd. Called "World without End" and "A column of fire".

Anyone read them? I know they take place 150 years after the first. But are they worthy and as good as the 1st?

Still on my kindle as a "to read".  Probably get to them this year, but the reviews on Goodsreads are good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 8:47 PM, theJ said:

Still on my kindle as a "to read".  Probably get to them this year, but the reviews on Goodsreads are good.

Page 555 of the last book. They all have the same basis of a couple lovers having the world around them keep them apart. But the stories they go through are very well written and deep into the period they deal with. Ive been enjoying them. Especially the viewpoints of peasants and surfs which was never touched on in so many other works like ASOIAF.

Last half of A Column of Fire was so horrible and the characters so terrible that it ticked me off. To the point I wanted an entire series to dive into.

Anyone read any of the Saxon Tales books by Bernard Cornwell? I grabbed that and the First Law series. Trying to decide which to read first. Which I know everyone will likely say First Law, but Id like a little break from magic/mythical subjects. But want to hear the Saxon Tales series is decent.

Its also called "The Warrior Chronicles" I think.

Books are as titled. "Death of Kings", "Sword Song", "The Burning Land", "The Last Kingdom", "The Lords of the North", "The Pagan Lord", and "The Pale Horseman".

On 10/19/2018 at 11:46 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Last half of A Column of Fire was so horrible and the characters so terrible that it ticked me off. To the point I wanted an entire series to dive into.

Anyone read any of the Saxon Tales books by Bernard Cornwell? I grabbed that and the First Law series. Trying to decide which to read first. Which I know everyone will likely say First Law, but Id like a little break from magic/mythical subjects. But want to hear the Saxon Tales series is decent.

Its also called "The Warrior Chronicles" I think.

Books are as titled. "Death of Kings", "Sword Song", "The Burning Land", "The Last Kingdom", "The Lords of the North", "The Pagan Lord", and "The Pale Horseman".

Never read them, but the Goodreads reviews are good (4.2ish ratings for all the books).  I generally trust them as accurate.

The only one that ever lead me astray was The Dome by King (had a 4ish rating).  That was a really poorly written book.  But i get why people liked it, even if i thought it was garbage.

I may add these to my to-read list.  I like good historical fiction.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Never read them, but the Goodreads reviews are good (4.2ish ratings for all the books).  I generally trust them as accurate.

The only one that ever lead me astray was The Dome by King (had a 4ish rating).  That was a really poorly written book.  But i get why people liked it, even if i thought it was garbage.

I may add these to my to-read list.  I like good historical fiction.

Historical and Historical Fiction is pretty much all I want. I have a pile of series I want to get through on it. Malazan, Riyria Revelation series, Farseer Trilogy, Forgotten Legion Chronicles, Eagles of the Empire series by Simon Scarrow.

Know any good series, toss it my way. I want Tim Severins Vikings trilogy. But for some reason the 2nd book wont download for me and tried a couple times. 1st and 3rd I had no trouble with.

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Historical and Historical Fiction is pretty much all I want. I have a pile of series I want to get through on it. Malazan, Riyria Revelation series, Farseer Trilogy, Forgotten Legion Chronicles, Eagles of the Empire series by Simon Scarrow.

Know any good series, toss it my way. I want Tim Severins Vikings trilogy. But for some reason the 2nd book wont download for me and tried a couple times. 1st and 3rd I had no trouble with.

Riyria is really good

I'm also digging the Night Angel series. Really good complex characters, and a nice non-linear plot. Its magic based, but the story doesn't necessarily revolve around it. It's not historical fiction but its similar to riyria. 

8 hours ago, Tyty said:

Still kinda working on Under the Dome but it’s just kinda dull so it’s hard to read

That's because it's a poor excuse for fiction.

It's like if someone decided to turn a Star Trek episode into a book, where they just made up crap to fit the plot.  Only instead of having some interesting characters, they just made perfectly good ones and perfectly bad ones because why actually try to write complex interesting characters.

Put it down and read something else.  There's no shame in not finishing a book.

Archived