The Book Thread

Heimdallr

48 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I almost finished The Exorcist, but I got busy with an upcoming move.  I'll probably finish that tonight.  I'd love some non-boring non-fiction suggestions.  Most non-fiction bores me. 

Not nonfiction but same genreish of exorcist. Amityville horror was good and silence of the lambs. 

Actually amityville horror is supposed to be nonfiction but lol

19 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I almost finished The Exorcist, but I got busy with an upcoming move.  I'll probably finish that tonight.  I'd love some non-boring non-fiction suggestions.  Most non-fiction bores me. 

Masha Gessen's Future is History: How Totalitarianism reclaimed Russia is a non-fiction novel following 7 people post collapse of the soviet union.  3 of the people are alexandr dugin, the foremost sociologist and foremost psychologist in russia.  the other 4 are children of different people in different castes of the soviet republic, including boris nemtsov's daughter.  i learned a lot.

Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible: The Surreal Heart of the New Russia by Peter Pomerantsev is a shorter read, and probably more interesting.  a day to day look of how a foreigner adapts to Russia post putin.  the foreigner works for one of russia's state run TV channels.  a fascinating look of corruption, propaganda, cults and machiavelian state maneuvering.  this is a collection of short stories.

phil klay's redemption is a bunch of short stories about the iraq war. i  know its not non-fiction, but in the vein of tim o brien, what actually is true?  i loved this book.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tyty said:

Halfway through ready player one 

I feel like if i was into 80's culture, it would have been the best book ever written.

But i'm not.  So it was just really good.  Really enjoyed it.

25 minutes ago, theJ said:

I feel like if i was into 80's culture, it would have been the best book ever written.

But i'm not.  So it was just really good.  Really enjoyed it.

I'm not all that into 80s culture but I'm really enjoying it. He's really weird with describing stuff tho. 

Archived