The Book Thread

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, MathMan said:

i liked stephen king books, but i feel like his last excellent one was the dome.

the others that have come out since since were, or seem, underwhelming

I actually really liked the JFK one tbh

2 minutes ago, MathMan said:

dr. sleep?

underwhelming

After kings bad car accident that caused him to become a recluse I thought he'd definitely lost his touch and stopped liking his stuff. But Cell and 11-22-63 are some of his all time greats, and The dome was an excellent Simpsons movie 

Just now, Tyty said:

You ever see the show on Hulu w James Franco?

I actually got Hulu just for that reason but gave up after a few episodes.  Can only handle Franco in comedies tbh.  Serious James Franco is not credible. 

44 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I actually got Hulu just for that reason but gave up after a few episodes.  Can only handle Franco in comedies tbh.  Serious James Franco is not credible. 

I respectfully disagree 

11 hours ago, mission27 said:

Serious James Franco is not credible. 

Hi - first time caller, long time listener to this thread.

Yeah, 127 Hours was awesome. Probably his best work ever. You should be ashamed of yourself for not thinking otherwise.

Now, go to your room.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Hi - first time caller, long time listener to this thread.

Yeah, 127 Hours was awesome. Probably his best work ever. You should be ashamed of yourself for not thinking otherwise.

Now, go to your room.

Tbh it just made me laugh.

15 hours ago, MathMan said:

i liked stephen king books, but i feel like his last excellent one was the dome.

the others that have come out since since were, or seem, underwhelming

I thought The Dome was literary trash.  Great concept for a book, but the characters were about as awful as they could be.  All either white or black, no grey.  Not a single one of them was believable.  It showed very little effort on his part to creatively write in the key events of his book.  Ex. the explosion caused by the megalomaniac could have still happened without the crazy AF antagonist being crazy AF.  A much better solution is to write an unfortunate sequence of events caused by one or a few grey characters that are much more believable.

And it really bothered me that the main antagonist was clearly nuts, and not a soul other than the pure white characters recognized it.  They just followed like lemmings.  There are political figures today that are much less crazy IRL that cause big splits.  But this psychopath has the faith of thousands and only a few opponents.

I know i'm in the minority on this one, because the book has good reviews.  It's one of the few books i've given a 1 star review on Goodreads.  One of the worst pieces of fictions i've ever read.

I really liked 11/22/63 though.  So i'm not a King snob. ;)

Anybody who's trying to read more buy a kindle (or any e-reader really). Got one a couple years ago and started reading almost as much as I used to. Ended up destroying it by mistake and reading habits dropped like a stone again. Got another one last month and I'm kicking myself for waiting months and months.

37 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Anybody who's trying to read more buy a kindle (or any e-reader really). Got one a couple years ago and started reading almost as much as I used to. Ended up destroying it by mistake and reading habits dropped like a stone again. Got another one last month and I'm kicking myself for waiting months and months.

Love my kindle too. 

Well, it's my wife's.  I bought it for her a few years ago and she never used it.  So i took it.  If the library doesn't have a book on kindle version, i don't read it haha.

Archived