The Book Thread

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, theJ said:

You'd be surprised how much time people spend watching TV who have all three of things you mentioned.

I work M-F (engineer), have a wife and two kids (one who was born last year), and read 50 books last year.  I just don't turn the TV on.

I also got some good reading in at 2 AM while feeding the baby.  So i cheated a bit there :) 

We should hook our one year olds up in like 17 years so you and me can stay friends forever 

Bleak House - Charles Dickens

I'm ashamed to say this will be my first real experience of a Dickens novel. So far it's... descriptive, but good. I'm about 70 pages in, and I can see why so many modern authors site him as an influence (Rushdie in particular).

• 3 weeks later...

The Shining. I think Stephen King drastically overshot the intelligence and mental capacity of a five year old lol. Character has a deep and complex understanding of things way beyond the comprehension of a 5 year old. Maybe it’ll all play into his “shining” ability or something idk we’ll see. 

Just now, Tyty said:

The Shining. I think Stephen King drastically overshot the intelligence and mental capacity of a five year old lol. Character has a deep and complex understanding of things way beyond the comprehension of a 5 year old. Maybe it’ll all play into his “shining” ability or something idk we’ll see. 

the kid is even more of a dip**** when he gets older on dr sleep

7 minutes ago, MathMan said:

the kid is even more of a dip**** when he gets older on dr sleep

Careful bruh that’s my next read. 

Also im def thinking this is all a part of his shining psyche blah blah hoo haa so I redact my criticism, carry on 1970s Stephen king. 

4 minutes ago, MathMan said:

i read almost all of his books written before 2000 as well 

i have middle tier sutff

It’s weird how post 2000 his writing seemed to take a significant hit. He was in this bad car accident and was badly injured and it messed him up mentally. He’s had a few home runs since then but for the most part in my opinion his post 2000 stuff is less inspired. 

And just 50 pages in Stephen king spoiled the ending of the shining lol. I hate when he foreshadows in his books. I already know how it ends but just 50 pages in he has the son having a vision about his dad going crazy at the hotel lol. He did the same thing in Pet Sematary that drove me crazy. Said “and that was the last time they saw the toddler alive” a few pages before the toddler gets hit by a semi. I don’t need the foreshadowing, Stephen, I am perfectly fine waiting til the moment happens to learn about the moment. 

Just now, Tyty said:

And just 50 pages in Stephen king spoiled the ending of the shining lol. I hate when he foreshadows in his books. I already know how it ends but just 50 pages in he has the son having a vision about his dad going crazy at the hotel lol. He did the same thing in Pet Sematary that drove me crazy. Said “and that was the last time they saw the toddler alive” a few pages before the toddler gets hit by a semi. I don’t need the foreshadowing, Stephen, I am perfectly fine waiting til the moment happens to learn about the moment. 

lol, he does it in the dome quite a bit too.

but i kind of like it

Archived