Would you rather trade into the 1st 2nd or 3rd

valkrei

Call me crazy but I like a lot of the 2nd and 3rd round talents this year.  I would love to see us trade into the 2nd and 3rd round.  I think trading into the 1st will be to expensive and not worth it.

If someone like Vita Vea would slip into the late 1st round, than i would do it. Otherwise i wouldn't, especially not for a CB or Safety, since i think that u can get some good ones in the 2nd and 3rd round as well. I do think that Veach will make at least one smaller trade up in round 2 or 3.

I'd rather stay pat, really, in terms of the 1st round. It'd cost us 2019 picks to move into the 1st, most likely. Either that, or forfeiting our top 2 picks (and probably change) for just one. Having two thirds and two fourths gives us flexbility below that though.

Thinking about it a bit more, this year I would consider trading for future picks, Madden style if possible. By that I mean, if you want our 3rd this year then give us your 2nd next year. I don't expect that though.

This year we're pretty set on the roster. But in 2019 and 2020 we're going to have a LOT of free agents. We'll have the cap to sign some for sure. But big contracts are possible for Hill, Jones, Ragland, and Fuller.

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I'd rather stay pat, really, in terms of the 1st round. It'd cost us 2019 picks to move into the 1st, most likely. Either that, or forfeiting our top 2 picks (and probably change) for just one. Having two thirds and two fourths gives us flexbility below that though.

but would you trade some of our later picks to get another 3rd or 4th?

5 hours ago, valkrei said:

but would you trade some of our later picks to get another 3rd or 4th?

Yes, absolutely. I realize I probably didn't phrase part of that post well. More or less, I wouldn't be willing to trade into the first because of cost, but I'd be fine using a spare 3rd/4th to get into the 2nd again, or using our extra 4th and change to get back up to the third. And then anything below that, I'll defer to the FO. Low picks never really concern me or get me excited, so if they can leverage them into getting a guy they really want in the 4th or 5th or something, go nuts.

So, tl;dr, don't wanna trade into the first, but any movement up below that I'd be down with.

We've had a really aggressive approach over the past year or so, I feel. If we want somebody we're just kind of doing what it takes to get them. Whether that's the trade up for Mahomes, sending draft picks for Ragland and KPL, or the acquisitions of Watkins and Hitchens, money wise. And I'm all for that. If the FO sees someone they want, make it happen. I just don't want to forfeit the draft capital to get into the 1st. We moved that for Mahomes and just kind of have to live with it IMO.

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Thinking about it a bit more, this year I would consider trading for future picks, Madden style if possible. By that I mean, if you want our 3rd this year then give us your 2nd next year. I don't expect that though.

This year we're pretty set on the roster. But in 2019 and 2020 we're going to have a LOT of free agents. We'll have the cap to sign some for sure. But big contracts are possible for Hill, Jones, Ragland, and Fuller.

All the players you list are 2020. We really don't have anyone up in 2019. Anyone expensive, anyway. Morse would be the closest thing. Ford if he has a good year, I suppose. But no one who will command 8 figures per year or anything.

42 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

All the players you list are 2020. We really don't have anyone up in 2019. Anyone expensive, anyway. Morse would be the closest thing. Ford if he has a good year, I suppose. But no one who will command 8 figures per year or anything.

Next year, no. But I would like to sign some of those guys a year early if we can to avoid potential franchise tag issues. Plus getting them a year earlier likely means it'll be a little bit cheaper.

Archived