• Vita Vea
    • Roquan Smith
    • Quentin Nelson
    • Mike Hughes
    • Calvin Ridley
    • Mike McGlinchey
    • Taven Bryan

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

There's always been freaky interior pass rushers. John Randle, Warren Sapp and Robert Porcher were just the guys Favre had to deal with in the NFCN.

Fact is you can help a guard much easier than a tackle and that's why they don't have the same value.

OK  - but remember Favre had Wahle and Riviera and Flanagan. Current Packers IOL pales in comparison and that's what I'm after. I don't want "good enough"

And if you're always helping your guard(s) then you aren't helping your OTs as much and you're potentially hindering the offense and your all- world QB.

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

OK  - but remember Favre had Wahle and Riviera and Flanagan. Current Packers IOL pales in comparison and that's what I'm after. I don't want "good enough"

And if you're always helping your guard(s) then you aren't helping your OTs as much and you're potentially hindering the offense and your all- world QB.

We don't help tackles, that's why we use first rounders on them. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We don't help tackles, that's why we use first rounders on them. 

In terms of using # 14 on an OG, I agree - little chance GB makes that pick, since they've been so successful finding OGs much later. On the OT side, GB has also had a fair amount of success finding them later too

Bulaga and Sherrod = late 1sts

Clifton= 2nd

Tauscher= 7th

Bak = 4th

Spriggs = 2nd

Murphy = 6th

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Nelson is the best guard I've evaluated, he's much better than Cooper and Martin and I was too young to evaluate Hutchinson.

That said when I do a big board the last thing I do is a positional multiplier. IOL, RBs and pure 2 down ILBs get a .9 multiplier from their final grade. This rates Nelson down on my board.

EDGE, CB and QB get a 1.1.

I appreciate that write up.  I didn't assign a multiplier, I looked at it simply as who is the best player available.  Then I looked at fits for the club.  We have no right guard right now and a whole lot of uncertainty at right tackle.

I feel like Nelson has darned near no floor, all ceiling.  Immediate upgrade to the offensive line at guard, possible upgrade at tackle.  I believe he has the skills to be a right tackle and I admit I may be in the in the minority there.

I'd happily go Edge, if there was equal value.  But there isn't.  Chubb is the best and I don't feel like he is all that special compared to other pass rushers who have gone high in the past. And...Chubb is off of the board.  Clear drop off after him.  Ward and Fitz are off of the board, so they are gone too.  Davenport is a project, and although I like that project, he's far from a sure thing.  You know I dig Landry, but again, there is risk there.

I found Nelson to be far less risky.

You explained your rationale, that is mine.  It is fine that we differ.  I find the multiplier very interesting.

--(TOP-TIER)--
1.) Saquon Barkley
2.) Bradley Chubb
3.) Tremaine Edmunds
4.) Denzel Ward
5.) Derwin James

--> 6.) Marcus Davenport <--

--(mini- tier line)--
7.) Minkah Fitzpatrick
8.) Quenton Nelson
--(hard- tier line)--
9.) Rashaan Evans
10.) Carlton Davis
11.) Jaire Alexander

12.) Harold Landry
13.) Leighton Vander Esch
14.) Roquan Smith

I'd be willing to pull the trigger on Nelson. I hate the positional value, but 10+ years of keeping Rodgers happy and creating holes for our ground game would help me get over it eventually. Davenport first, though.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Plus Adam Timmerman but... Where were those guys drafted?

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Wahle = supplemental 2nd coming off Navy duty

Marco Rivera was a 6th 

Flanagan a 3rd

Timmerman a 7th

Aaron Taylor was a 1st round OG, taken at #16

Forgot about Taylor. He’s probably a pretty good comparison with Nelson as he was very highly rated and considered can’t miss by many coming out too. How much of a difference did he make?

13 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Forgot about Taylor. He’s probably a pretty good comparison with Nelson as he was very highly rated and considered can’t miss by many coming out too. How much of a difference did he make?

Hard to say with Taylor with the injuries he sustained.

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

True but early on in his career before injuries took him down he was good but really didn’t move the needle at all with the offense. 

His first knee injury occurred in training camp of his rookie year.  He was good despite the 2 knee injuries.

He started on a super Bowl winning team.  OL generally don't move the needle much in the eyes of fans.

Archived