Expectations for the 2018 Team

Chiefer

What direction are we headed? With Watkins in the fold it looks like an explosive offense, but will Mahomes live up to the hype? I've never heard of a 2nd year QB having all these weapons on offense. Should be lots of fun, especially if Mahomes is the real deal.

The defense though holds us back. I like the Hitchens signing he seems like a great fit. Fuller is an ascending player on a cheap deal. Sucks to lose Marcus but we've got talent in spots. I want to find a safety, DL and pass rush. Hopefully we find something in the draft

The D will improve from a better attitude and some fresh faces.  I still do not like Sutton and he has more spotlight on him than in the past.

Overall I see us fighting for a playoff spot, its doable.

Well I should have looked at my second part of my defense will improve lol.  Sutton just kills anything good.

The rest of the division matters as well. I don't think the Raiders will be better than last year, maybe worse. The Chargers were on the upswing, but Rivers seems to be slowing down. The Broncos have the opposite problem with an aging defense. None seems poised to gaffe a truly elite unit, whereas we could gaffe a top flight offense. 

If our offense can really put up points, that could help our run defense weakness as teams try to keep up. Mahomes has the weapons to work the field, but we need him to limit turnovers to limit the exposure on D. I think that will be the stat to watch. If he learned how to be frugal with turnovers from Alex, but still gunsling as we know he can, we're definitely in the running for the division title. Beyond that I continue to have little faith until we prove it justified. 

1 hour ago, starbarkc said:

The rest of the division matters as well. I don't think the Raiders will be better than last year, maybe worse. The Chargers were on the upswing, but Rivers seems to be slowing down. The Broncos have the opposite problem with an aging defense. None seems poised to gaffe a truly elite unit, whereas we could gaffe a top flight offense. 

If our offense can really put up points, that could help our run defense weakness as teams try to keep up. Mahomes has the weapons to work the field, but we need him to limit turnovers to limit the exposure on D. I think that will be the stat to watch. If he learned how to be frugal with turnovers from Alex, but still gunsling as we know he can, we're definitely in the running for the division title. Beyond that I continue to have little faith until we prove it justified. 

Raiders -  will be a better coached team.

Chargers - a few key players and I don't think you can just blow them off.

Broncos - Huge upgrade at QB, might be enough to win them a few more games alone.

Chiefs - Should still be the powerhouse in the AFC West but there might be some close games.  Our D scares me a bit right now but I think we are going heavy on the D in the draft which will go along ways.

It depends on the schedule and how well the team comes together. We were better defensively than we showed last year, but a major turnover and attitude shift will cause issues. The offense is even more in flux. Everything could go well enough for us to make the playoffs, but 7-9 to 9-7 is more likely.

J

Can anyone explain the main reasons behind the Chiefs' 30th ranked defense according to DVOA last year?  It's interesting because one of the main arguments used to point out why Alex Smith won't succeed with the Redskins this year is due to needing an elite defense to elevate him.  He just had his best statistical season with one of the worst defenses in the league (according to DVOA).  So would you say that this DVOA ranking is way off for you guys or is this just a false narrative being used against Smith by people who know no better?  By the way, I think he probably does need an elite running game to succeed, so it's still possible he fails miserably for us this year.

23 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Berry was gone and with a hurt Ford and Hali our pass rush was lacking. Our run defense was atrocious for most of the year. We gave up a lot of yards but we were average at points given up. 

And we were +15 in turnover differential. 

J

12 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Can anyone explain the main reasons behind the Chiefs' 30th ranked defense according to DVOA last year?  It's interesting because one of the main arguments used to point out why Alex Smith won't succeed with the Redskins this year is due to needing an elite defense to elevate him.  He just had his best statistical season with one of the worst defenses in the league (according to DVOA).  So would you say that this DVOA ranking is way off for you guys or is this just a false narrative being used against Smith by people who know no better?  By the way, I think he probably does need an elite running game to succeed, so it's still possible he fails miserably for us this year.

Our run D was terrible.  Our pass coverage was terrible.  

14 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

It wasn't quite that bad, as the defense made up a little ground in red zone efficiency (about average) and turnover production (top 10), but we were definitely a bottom 10 defense last year. CB2 was awful regardless of who we tried there. Houston was our only productive edge rusher as Hali contributed next to nothing and Kpass wasn't ready. Logan was a huge disappointment at NT. DJ's range took a pretty big hit with age, and until Ragland hit his stride ILB was a big problem. And Berry's absence gave us issues at safety.

So we absolutely had a bad defense last year. I actually tried to point this out in the 'Skins forum, in the thread where you guys were talking about the Smith trade, and a few people didn't want to accept me saying that our defense was as bad as it was, for whatever reason.

Last year was an anomaly for Smith's career though. Last year, KC was successful because Smith and the offense carried the team. 100%, that's what happened. But it's also the first time that's ever happened in Smith's career.

Thanks for the responses guys (especially @Jakuvious).  I know Smith's recent season was an outlier, but I'm hoping the reason is that something "clicked" for him last year and he can continue that high level of play this year.  But it's far more likely that 2017-18 will be the best statistical season of his career when he retires.  

I've been re-watching the 2017 games over the past couple weeks, and literally several times throughout every game I'm shaking my head that we gave away Fuller.  He will be a stud for you guys.

My expectations are heavily depending on the Draft. I'm confident in our offense. I know it's the first season to start for Mahomes, but those skill players around him, the coaching staff and what i saw from him in den Broncos game showed me enough to comfortably expect one of the better offenses around the league.

The defense is the big question mark. We could need a NT, CB, S and Edge Rusher. If we can get 2-3 even just average NFL starters out of the draft in those positions, then i would expect us to have at least a decent defense. Maybe average or even slightly above average in the league, but definitely strong enough to stand their ground against any opponent.

Archived