Preseason Week 1 Buccaneers @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

I just finished watching the first half.  Some thoughts.

• Billings looked good when he came in.  Got good push.
  • Lawson was talked up a little too much.  I saw one pressure.  Obviously it's only one preseason game, so who really cares.  But i could see the burst around the edge.
  • I thought the line played well.  Saw a few gaffs by Cedric and Bodine.  But they did well enough run blocking and adequately in pass pro.
  • Man Mixon is impressive.
  • Hill looked ok.  Still finished at 3.7 ypc.
  • Michael Johnson looks done.
  • The WR group is really deep.  Top to bottom, they can all play.

So reviewing my 5 things to watch from from last nights game:

5.The Kicking competition is off to a good start. Bullock and Elliott both did there jobs and neither one made errors. Bullock was slightly more impressive since he went for 2 for 2, while Elliott only went 1 for 1. Elliott is still expected to be the starter, but they will have a tough choice to make if Bullock doesn't miss a single kick in the preseason. It's still early and we will see if one of them slips up in the next game or not.

4.Erickson and Core both did some nice things in this game, but Erickson was more impressive. Core had one nice catch for 17 yards, but Erickson had 3 catches for 50 yards, including one for 21 yards. Malone meanwhile got himself a 8 yard TD. I think Erickson and Core are still both safe, but if Erickson keeps outplaying Core he will be expendable.

3.Out of the five guys I wanted to see on the DL, the biggest winner was Jordan Willis. 3 tackles and the only sack by the Bengals on the night. Lots of talk has been about Lawson and Billings during camp, but Willis was the first newbie to make an impact. Michael Johnson had a terrible game too, so maybe there's a chance he may get cut. As for the DL players fighting for a final spot, Chris Smith appears to have put himself in a good position managing to rack up 3 tackles, even though he's been a big underdog to make the roster this year. Will Clarke might of been the biggest loser, didn't even get a single tackle.

2.Even though Mixon wasn't playing against the starters, he showed a few good moves making some guys miss tackles. Jeremy Hill though played against the starters though and didn't play bad either considering the state of the OL. Mixon is going to have to play against the starters in the next game if he wants to dethrone Hill's chances of starting in week 1.

1.There were good and bad things about the OL in that game. The good thing that came out of this was Trey Hopkins put his good camp he's been having on the field. He was a big factor in the running game, and even if he doesn't start in week 1 he's going to get his opportunities it looks like, as he's stating his case to make the team. Cedric Ogbuehi was AWFUL again. There was one or two plays he got beaten like a drum. Even if most of the OL plays better this year, he's got the potential to drag this team down with his plays alone, which shows you how bad he is. He needs to rebound quick.

The circus was in town last night.  How else can you explain the Zeppo to Bobo connection?

Smith was on fire last night.  he needs time with the 1's and 2's next week so we don't have to guess if he's more of a starter or more of another Dontay Moch feasting on bad players who will soon be cut.  

The rookies actually looked good.  Lawson may not have the stats, but he was getting pressures.

Just finishing up the first quarter. Few thoughts

- Middle of the field is wide open. Giving up plays all over the place 

- Michael Johnson looks completely done

- Burfict and Geno are in all pro form already

- Hill looked better to start the game. His loss on the play was because Ced was beaten badly 

- Ced held up in pass protection solidly, but was bad when it came to the run game

- AJ Green is a monster. 

2nd quarter observations:

- Billings looks good as does Willis. Jordan Evans shows some positives as well 

- WJ3 is playing well. Nice open field tackle 

- Mixon looks great

- O line holding up well and looks impressive. Ced is playing really well this quarter. Just watched Bodine get blown back 5 yards and pushed over for a big TFL

3 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Trey Hopkins put his good camp he's been having on the field. He was a big factor in the running game, and even if he doesn't start in week 1 he's going to get his opportunities it looks like, as he's stating his case to make the team.

He's going to make the team easy, and I'm about 80% sure he's starting at this point. 

41 minutes ago, theJ said:

He's going to make the team easy, and I'm about 80% sure he's starting at this point. 

I agree. I think he looked good this week and with the snaps in camp, I can see Hopkins starting as the RG when the season starts. Going up against McCoy isn't easy, but he held his own. 

Archived