Preseason Week 1 Buccaneers @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

My takeaways from Game 1:

- no injuries, always the best news

- offensive line looked better than expected, while the defensive line looked worse 

- Mixon is a stud 

- Driskel's progression could make McCarron more expendable if a team calls

- Chris Smith needs more playing time with the 1's, MJ93 needs less (cut)

- WR depth is very talented

- Fejedelem continues to look solid

- WJ3 needs more time, not quite there yet, but flashed his potential 

- The middle of the field was open all night, not sure if it was due to vanilla play calling or if the LBs really struggled that much. 

My takeways:

• Mixon is the real deal.  Should be starting Week 1.
  • The hang time on Elliots kickoffs are impressive.
  • Worried about our DT rotation outside of Geno.  I like Billings and he showed well, but we have too many run stuffers and non-pocket collapsing DTs.  It's Geno and that's it.  A Geno + Billings starting DLine would be impressive, but then we have very little behind them.  Thompson needs to regain his form.
  • Willis, Chris Smith and Lawson give me some hope on the edge.  I saw Lawson used in coverage which we need to not do...

25 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I saw Lawson used in coverage which we need to not do...

All against the 2nd string.  I think that was more of a getting feet wet kind of thing.  Against first string, it was only DE.

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

id like to see them move Michael Johnson to 2nd string for the night and see if he dominates the backups. If he doesn't do anything vs 2nd string i think its safe to say he is done.

That's actually a really good idea.  You get a football sir.

20 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-cincinnati-bengals-23-tampa-bay-buccaneers-12

I guess the DL players played much better than I though. If that continues, as as I'm concern they should just cut Michael Johnson already. It would save them money and they could keep one more promising player in his place.

Chris Smith was the same guy that dominated the preseason last year right?  Didn't he play some against the first team and do nothing?  Was he on the PS all last year?

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Chris Smith was the same guy that dominated the preseason last year right?  Didn't he play some against the first team and do nothing?  Was he on the PS all last year?

Nope i think that was Ryan Brown i was thinking of.  They just traded for smith in the offseason.

I've re-watched the game 2-3 times now.  I have to give Hill credit, he's running like his rookie form again.  Not a lot of hesitation, and hitting the hole hard/decisively.  He's no Mixon, but I don't mind keeping him on the roster.  Give him the tough carries and let his body take the pounding, which should extend Mixon's career and keep him fresh late in the season...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

I've re-watched the game 2-3 times now.  I have to give Hill credit, he's running like his rookie form again.  Not a lot of hesitation, and hitting the hole hard/decisively.  He's no Mixon, but I don't mind keeping him on the roster.  Give him the tough carries and let his body take the pounding, which should extend Mixon's career and keep him fresh late in the season...

I actually thought he looked decent too.  And i'm one of his biggest detractors.  His 3.7 YPC was misleading, since Ced and Bodine blew a few blocks for negative plays where he had no chance.

Still though - even really bad players have good preseason games every now and then.  I'm withholding judgement on Hill for a few more weeks.  The last 2 years aren't easily erased from my memory.

Archived