Jordan Reed has "procedure done on his toes"

Woz

Now from the

Norton.gif

news department

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36152/if-healthy-jordan-reed-should-form-potent-connection-with-alex-smith

"Jordan's a special guy," Gruden said. "Not many tight ends can do what he can as far as running option routes across the middle and breaking people down and lining up on the outside and beating people deep. He's a special talent."

He just needs to be healthy.

After last season, the Redskins aren't quite sure when that will be. Reed played only six games last season as a fractured toe led to him compensating and then other issues with his leg and hip.

Gruden said Reed had a "procedure done on his toes ... hopefully we'll see a 100-percent healthy Jordan by training camp."

Reed's a beast of a TE, but the "needs to be healthy" is becoming more and more of a rarity. Figure some people might want to be aware of this for fantasy purposes at the very least.

It really is a shame.  He's a top 5 TE no question when he's healthy.  Him being healthy is just becoming a rarer and rarer occurrence.  I think VD is a top 10 TE though, so I'm thankful that it's not a huge drop-off when he's out.  I'm guessing we'll be hearing a lot of Smith to VD for the TD this season... what year is it again?

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

It really is a shame.  He's a top 5 TE no question when he's healthy.  Him being healthy is just becoming a rarer and rarer occurrence.  I think VD is a top 10 TE though, so I'm thankful that it's not a huge drop-off when he's out.  I'm guessing we'll be hearing a lot of Smith to VD for the TD this season... what year is it again?

Man, the Redskins have a top 5 and top 10 tight end, they are so loaded at the position.

But I think I'd be hard pressed to find a single NFL fan who isn't a fan of the Redskins that would agree that VD is a top 10 TE.

13 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Man, the Redskins have a top 5 and top 10 tight end, they are so loaded at the position.

But I think I'd be hard pressed to find a single NFL fan who isn't a fan of the Redskins that would agree that VD is a top 10 TE.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&tabSeq=1&season=2017&Submit=Go&experience=&archive=false&conference=null&qualified=false

Top 10 in Yards and YPG.

I'll take top 10 production from my back-up TE all day, every day.  I don't really care where fans rank him.

3 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Fair enough.

Do you think it's fair to then turn around and claim Jordan Reed is a "top 5 TE no question when he's healthy" if by the same standard of measurement he's only qualified as a top 5 TE one season in the past 5 years (and it is 3 years ago at that)?

For me personally a guy who had 1 top 5 season out of 5, 3 years ago, does not qualify as a top 5 TE. But I'm sure if I found some Redskin sunglasses lying around I could see it differently too.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Fair enough.

Do you think it's fair to then turn around and claim Jordan Reed is a "top 5 TE no question when he's healthy" if by the same standard of measurement he's only qualified as a top 5 TE one season in the past 5 years (and it is 3 years ago at that)?

For me personally a guy who had 1 top 5 season out of 5, 3 years ago, does not qualify as a top 5 TE. But I'm sure if I found some Redskin sunglasses lying around I could see it differently too.

Um, yes, I do think it's fair.  Did you miss the part when I said "when healthy"?

1. He put up a top 2 season when healthy while playing in only 14 games in 2015.

2. If you extrapolate his numbers from other seasons where he was always injured to a full season, he puts up top 5 TE numbers.

3. He just can't stay healthy.

4. And now we're back at the start.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Fair enough.

I feel you on the VD thing... but go watch Reed when he is healthy. TE talent in the NFL is weak... Reed is undoubtedly top 5 if he returns to how he has looked.

Eh, Reed is one of those guys that you kind of just stop applying the "when healthy" line to when discussing where he ranks.  It isn't like he's sparingly injured like McCoy or had a tough break like Olsen.  He's never going to be consistently healthy and I wouldn't consider him a top five tight end for that reason.  Without hesitation, I'm taking Gronk, Kelce, Olsen, Ertz, and Walker over him.  All guys who have consistently been productive and healthy (and even when healthy, it is debatable if Reed is as good as them).  Plus there's Engram (had more yards than any Reed season thus far sans 2015) and Henry too, two guys on the rise.

Reed doesn't have much of an argument.  The "if healthy" thing only goes so far when you are injured as much as Reed.

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Um, yes, I do think it's fair.  Did you miss the part when I said "when healthy"?

1. He put up a top 2 season when healthy while playing in only 14 games in 2015.

2. If you extrapolate his numbers from other seasons where he was always injured to a full season, he puts up top 5 TE numbers.

3. He just can't stay healthy.

4. And now we're back at the start.

Well you can't judge one TE by production and the other by talent. If every tight end was healthy all of the time Davis wouldn't be top 10 at this stage of his career.

Archived