Sign in to follow this  
RamRod

Brandin Cooks traded to Rams

Posted (edited)

I kept telling you all the Rams don’t value linebackers at a premium in Wade Phillips scheme. The Rams wanted to keep Watkins, they wanted to trade for OBJ. They traded for Cooks. Anyone who thinks the Rams can’t afford Cooks and Donald and Goff and Gurley and Peters, I’ll say the Rams don’t make this move without knowledge of the long term ramifications. I know it’s NBA, but how many people thought no way the Warriors can afford (4) max deals with Durant, Steph, Klay, and Draymond while fielding a successful team around them? Well the Warriors are a well run organization that know how to structure deals and develop their own players. It wasn’t hard for them. The Rams are becoming the Warriors of football. A lot of young talent and they have developed their own players added to the guys they brought in. They will figure a way to make it all fit. Just enjoy the ride. I’m pumped lol. GO RAMS!

Edited by stl4life07

Love this trade! Almost as I love the over reactions and the comments in the News forum thread. People acting like we have to win it now or have no future. People acting like our DC isn't Wade Phillips and they know better how the linebackers on the roster and available in the draft will work out for us. This was a very good move by the Rams and they've already saying an extension is being worked on for Cooks. We already know the ground work has been laid out for a Donald extension they have a time table agreed to for revisiting that and getting that done. Loving the off season!

So he was asking for less than Watkins got from KC. Sign him for that right now.

Alright Rams Nation, I love it, plus we still have 1 3rd rounder and 3 4ths to possile fill the Edge and Inside open spots. Hopefully we are able to get Cooks signed long term. He most definitely will be a lot cheaper than OBJ.

Don’t like this move at all. I think we gave up too much for Cooks. 

Posted (edited)

I’m a HUGE fan of this move. While I don’t like to typically trade 1sts, moving the 23 for a guy like Cooks I can definitely get behind. Especially if we can get him to sign an extension. 

I am absolutely loving this offseason. Peters still my favorite acquisition, but this is really close. 

We’re an LB signing and a mid-round Interior OL selection or two from knocking it out of the PARK. 

Edited by #39 Fan

Rams cannot afford to not extend him like what happened Sammy Watkins. 

Im still not happy about giving up our first rounder, but I think Cooks will fit in really well. He'll take over Watkins' role and he's actually a proven player rather than a guy living off glimpses/flashes/potential. What I'm happiest about is that this removes us from the OBJ sweepstakes. Whiles Cooks isn't necessarily as talented, he's not the headcase that Beckham is. And he'll come in at a cheaper number if (when) they look to extend him. I also don't think that this offense needs an elite prototype #1 receiver. I think Cooks will fit perfect and immediately resume the role of the deep threat. 

Again, if they fail to extend him though, this move is a disaster. 

Cooks is worth a first if we get him extended.

I want Shaquem Griffin with our third if he’s there. Wouldn’t be opposed to using a 4th or 6th to get to the top of the round to land him. Want this kid in Horns. 

It's weird how against the OBJ trade I was and how pumped I am for this trade.

Cooks is going to be PERFECT for the role he'll play in this offense. Doesn't need the 100+ targets OBJ would've and can take the top off of a defense like no other. Also is pretty good at slants and comebacks which Watkins ran a lot last year. Add in the fact that we keep our first next year, upgrade a 6th to a 4th, and can possibly extend him for cheaper than OBJ would've cost. On top of all of that, Goff and Cooks already familiar with each other.And worst case scenario, we get another 3rd round comp pick to add with the one for Suh.

Now let's kill the middle rounds of the draft, get these contracts figured out for the long term, and get that Superbowl!

20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

It's weird how against the OBJ trade I was and how pumped I am for this trade.

Cooks is going to be PERFECT for the role he'll play in this offense. Doesn't need the 100+ targets OBJ would've and can take the top off of a defense like no other. Also is pretty good at slants and comebacks which Watkins ran a lot last year. Add in the fact that we keep our first next year, upgrade a 6th to a 4th, and can possibly extend him for cheaper than OBJ would've cost. On top of all of that, Goff and Cooks already familiar with each other.And worst case scenario, we get another 3rd round comp pick to add with the one for Suh.

Now let's kill the middle rounds of the draft, get these contracts figured out for the long term, and get that Superbowl!

You’d be head over heals if the Rams traded for OBJ too.  We as fans convince ourselves that whatever move our team makes is going to make our team better.  It’s part of being a fan and it happens to everyone.  The Giants draft someone I’ve never heard of, I go watch a couple highlights, and I’m all in - until two years later when that player is being replaced by a newer, younger, most definitely better draft pick.  It’ll happen this year too.  Whichever QB the Giants take at #2, I will convince myself is the best QB in the class (not only because the Browns are known for drafting the wrong one).

Bottom line - I’ll bet if Patriots fans came in here proposing this trade a week ago, they’d be laughed off the forum.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Cooks is worth a first if we get him extended.

It comes down to Cooks more than likely will get 14m and the Pats don’t believe in shelling out that much for a receiver. The Rams were willing to give Watkins 14m but he walked to KC who gave him 16m. Cooks is represented by the same agency as Goff and Kupp. Everything adds up perfectly for Cooks to get extended.

31 minutes ago, Gmen said:

You’d be head over heals if the Rams traded for OBJ too.  We as fans convince ourselves that whatever move our team makes is going to make our team better.  It’s part of being a fan and it happens to everyone.  The Giants draft someone I’ve never heard of, I go watch a couple highlights, and I’m all in - until two years later when that player is being replaced by a newer, younger, most definitely better draft pick.  It’ll happen this year too.  Whichever QB the Giants take at #2, I will convince myself is the best QB in the class (not only because the Browns are known for drafting the wrong one).

Bottom line - I’ll bet if Patriots fans came in here proposing this trade a week ago, they’d be laughed off the forum.

Honestly, I would've came around to it, but I wouldn't have been as happy as I am with this trade. After a trade happens, fandom kicks in but before a trade happens is when your true feelings and logic come out. I never wanted to give up the draft picks and cap room it would've taken to keep OBJ long term.

We'll never know how I would've reacted to this trade before it became official, but I've followed Cooks since he was drafted and he is exactly what we need for our x-receiver right now.

39 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I highly doubt that. The only issues we may have had was with his lack of a long-term deal.