MLB The Show 18

csp911

48 minutes ago, carrolljcmc said:

This game has turned into madden.  It's $60 for a roster update.

Whoa, I wouldn't go near that far. There is not much more this series can do to improve. Its two best modes franchise and RTTS are near perfect as is. They are light years ahead of where Madden is at in both. However I will agree that innovation for each new iteration has slowed. RTTS is still second to none when it comes to a my player mode however. 

I've been hesitant to pick it up this year, I only play franchise and rtts and they haven't updated franchise mode and I'm really torn on the changes they've made to rtts...I like the new progression system being tied to performance but I absolutely HATE that you now have to pick an archetype and have stat caps...I'm sick of sports game doing this...It's why I stopped buying 2k basketball as well...if I want to make my player the greatest of all time who can do it all I want to be able to do that...but now most sports games are forcing you to to be limited to only being good in certain areas and it pisses me off....you can't be a true 5 tool player in rtts now, you can't be the next MJ or Lebron in 2k...it's maddening.

12 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I've been hesitant to pick it up this year, I only play franchise and rtts and they haven't updated franchise mode and I'm really torn on the changes they've made to rtts...I like the new progression system being tied to performance but I absolutely HATE that you now have to pick an archetype and have stat caps...I'm sick of sports game doing this...It's why I stopped buying 2k basketball as well...if I want to make my player the greatest of all time who can do it all I want to be able to do that...but now most sports games are forcing you to to be limited to only being good in certain areas and it pisses me off....you can't be a true 5 tool player in rtts now, you can't be the next MJ or Lebron in 2k...it's maddening.

It makes sense in NBA 2K where a large portion of the population plays multiplayer. Its no fun running around with a 7 footer who's perfect from the 3 point line and the can drive. Baseball I just don't get it. It takes so fricken long in other iterations to make your guy "Perfect" that it didn't matter anyways. There is no multiplayer to balance so why not let me work my way into the best player in baseball?

I like the progression system if it worked. It doesn't really work.... my pitcher will have 8 strikeouts in a game but at the end of the game my K/9 doesn't go up. Same with things like batting. I can hit a hard hit ball back to the warning track but it either penalizes me or doesn't count since it was caught. Good contact should always be encouraged... I like the system if they can somehow tweak it to make more logical sense. 

That being said to this point I appreciate the attempt  at trying something new even if it is a mixed bag and the game looks beautiful and plays great. Hopefully some patches at least assist with some of the lingering issues. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wondering...I found some aspects of MLBTS '17 to actually be inferior to things in '16. Most notably the ball physics and--maybe because of that, maybe not--inconsistent difficulties when batting vs CPU pitching. Anybody else notice that, and has it been fixed? 

Archived