Patriots Sign Troy Niklas - TE

Deadpulse

Not a significant signing at the time but Troy Nikolas is from the tight end fraternity that is Notre Dame. Always a big, athletic, do-it-all tight end from ND. I guess this is an indication that the Patriots plan to role with Rob Gronkowski, Jacob Hollister, and Nikolas for the year. Very good depth. I wouldn't be surprised if for some reason on draft day Gronk gets moved because he hasn't committed to anything yet. The Pats do seem to be making it clear through their moves that they are willing to welcome him back even after his media games flirting with retirement. It appears to be a pretty good tight end draft class this year so I wonder if the Pats are tempted add one.

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

2 year deal. No numbers yet. He could slide in as a competent #2 but this amounts to a flier

I see reports that say one year which makes sense considering Troy is underproductive, slightly injury prone, and the draft is pretty good with tight ends. Havig said all that, I still like this move as depth.

25 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Not a significant signing at the time but Troy Nikolas is from the tight end fraternity that is Notre Dame. Always a big, athletic, do-it-all tight end from ND. I guess this is an indication that the Patriots plan to role with Rob Gronkowski, Jacob Hollister, and Nikolas for the year. Very good depth. I wouldn't be surprised if for some reason on draft day Gronk gets moved because he hasn't committed to anything yet. The Pats do seem to be making it clear through their moves that they are willing to welcome him back even after his media games flirting with retirement. It appears to be a pretty good tight end draft class this year so I wonder if the Pats are tempted add one.

Dwayne Allen is still on the roster, I have to imagine if Allen’s still here that Nicklas will be 4th on the depth chart.

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Dwayne Allen is still on the roster, I have to imagine if Allen’s still here that Nicklas will be 4th on the depth chart.

I really like Dwayne Allen at a time, but now I think he will be cut before the season, (or at least significantly restructured).

Archived