Blitzburgh is back

Money

PIT trades Le'Veon Bell + 2nd to DET for 1st, 3rd, Ameer Abdullah

PIT trades 1st, 28th overal to CLE for 2nd, 35th overall, 4th, 5th, 6th

1.20 - Harold Landry DE/OLB

The most barren position on the whole roster is EDGE. You got Watt who I think is best as a 4-3 OLB where he can build up speed and use pass rush moves and his athleticism to make the tackle miss. He's not good in a sprinter stance or on his feet in close proximity as a 3-4 OLB. He's best in a Tampa Bay bucs tampa 2 or a 4-3 system where he can play strongside LB and cover the TE or use space to capitalize on his athleticism. Bud Dupree I think is best used as a will in a 4-3 bc he can't bend and his speed and athleticism would best be used in space. Chickilo is no talent. Dupree might leave. This position needs addressed now. We have good pass rushing from the DL and even Hilton on the blitz. This need was really exposed in the Jacksonville where we couldn't get to Bortles in a 4 man rush.

What Landry gives me is an explosive first step and great bend to beat the OT. The comp they have is Vic Beasley. And that's a really good comp. He explodes off the ball contorts his body and use his combination of speed and strength to get by the tackle. What we really lack is dynamic pass rushers. Really productive in 2016 with 16.5 sacks. Not as good this year because of an ankle injury which took his speed out of the equation. This is a slam dunk 10+ sack guy in the first year, which we didn't have - lack of dynamic pass rushers off the edge. 

Also considered: Marcus Davenport (probably goes top 15)

2.35 - Arden Key DE

The theme of this team will be making the sub package team which plays 70% of the snaps. Most of the game is spread you out and your rush four and play some version of nickel or sub-package football. In this scheme, you need to generate a rush with the front four and we don't have that where we stand today. Key is 6'6" 240 and I'm thinking like a Danielle Hunter for the Minnesota Vikings, who also played at LSU. Maybe a less dynamic Aldon Smith. This version of tall, thin, exploding athlete who is best out of a sprinter stance. His first step off the ball gives the tackle problems right away. Another thing I like is his 3 cone. I vision the 3 cone as you got obstacles in your way like some OL and you need to move in and around them to find the quarterback.

These two picks give me my book end EDGE rushers for the next ten years. TJ Watt will now be used to cover TE's. It's only fitting a former TE will cover the TE. Remember the Jordy Nelson play. Now Jordy was a little old and rusted - well the injury killed his speed to just make him average. But those are the kinds of plays I see Watt making. Putting Watt at 4-3 OLB will now give him more space and he can blitz off the butt and come inside or out and use his good hands to get to the quarterback

3.81 - JC Jackson CB

What I really like about this guy is his ability in press-man coverage. He's sticks the WR before he can get going and he has the speed and quickness to match his movement. He's got speed and although he has average ball skills he'll still break up passes by always being close to the WR. He's a sound tackler and is built pretty solid for a CB. Why I want a CB to tackle is our poor tackling on screen passes and these dumps that the Pats turn into big gains that just absolutely kill morale. 

3.96 - Genard Avery LB

This is a 1st rd talent. What I think I'm getting here is some of the movement skills of Rashaan Evans but he's built like a brick house. Some guys like Darrius Leonard but to me he is a little small in his lower body. Avery has 4.59 speed with an ability to stack and shed. What I want is a slew of players that I can put in 4-3 and 3-4 sets and he gives me the option to play as the buck in the 3-4 or as a Patrick Willis type in a 4-3. This is the guy you draft in the 4th round in Madden and he ends up being one of the best players on the team.

4.114 - Deshon Elliott S

Hard-hitting playmaker in the secondary. Highly productive at Texas with 6 INT's this year. 36" vertical and some decent speed for a SS at 4.58. He was also used as a LB in the nickel package. Think of Morgan Burnett. Who a Packers writer said played SS on 1st and 2nd downs and kicked inside on 3rd downs. Also forced 3 fumbles this year. Our defense needs to get more pressure on the QB so they make mistakes and need more balls separated from runners. Elliott gives me INT's and forced fumbles

5.148 - Siran Neal SS

Here's a guy who I saw in the underrated prospects post and fell in love with him pretty quick. He hits like a bus like someone else said in the comments. His tackling is his best asset and has good speed and also sported a 40" vertical. At the very least, he will help on special teams. But he also presents ability in sub-package situations.

5.150 - Jack Cichy LB

This guy is a 3-4 ILB. He reminds me of a Zach Thomas. He's a highly instinctive read and react type LB. Plagued by injuries the past two years but his quickness at his pro day showed me he hasn't lost much speed. What I look for in the ILB position is the 20y short shuttle. An ability to move side and side and get through the muck of the OL. Team leader and former walk-on. This guy is a football player.

5.165 - Joe Ostman OLB

Another highly productive player. Led the NCAA in sacks this year. He's your classic small school leading the league in sack guy that is labeled a try hard. That reminds me of Jared Allen from the Chiefs. He has a wide array of moves that helps him beat the OL. He has great hands and hesitation to set up the OL to overplay. He uses rips and swims and bends and is a master of his craft. They say he's undersized at 6'3" 250 and this is a direct replacement for Anthony Chickilo. His upside is that of Jared Allen

6.175 - Justin Jackson RB

This is a very good underrated running back. He has some speed and is a very slippery running back. He has some good cutting ability in and out of holes with and can make defenders miss. In terms of traits, he ran a 4.52 so he gives me some average long speed. He might not break many long runs at the next level but he'll help churn the clock to close out games. With Conner, Jackson, Abdullah, and Ridley I think I have create a NE type offense approach to the RB position. I got a hoss in Conner a jack of all trades guy in Jackson, with Ameer Abdullah as the 3rd down RB - who I think will play better with our OL than in Detroit. What I think Abdullah needs is a fresh start and those big ten RBs that aren't necessarily fast like Lev Bell seem to work with our OL

7.220 - Riley Ferguson QB

What I like about him is his arm strength and tall frame. He's a good fit in our spread scheme. Not very good at reading the defense but given time I think he is a developmental QB. Maybe looking at a Teddy Bridgewater bridge QB in 2019. Ferguson is a direct replacement to Landry Jones giving me more upside potential that he could be more than just a guy that hold the clipboard.

7.246 - Jordan Thomas CB

This guy has freakish tools with his 6.28 3 cone and 3.9 20y short shuttle. He's tall at 6' and is best at mirroring the WR in coverage. He has had some off the field concerns and had 5 INT's his sophomore year so that's why he falls this far. This is my favorite prospect this draft given his potential and where you're getting him at this point in the draft. I'm thinking like Legarrette Blount or a Vontaze Burfict who I both wanted the Steelers to take but went undrafted.

Archived