Eagles sign TE Richard Rodgers on one-year deal

Blahstoise

I actually really like this deal. For what was available on the Free Agent market and "affordable" we had no better option available to us this off season. Will be a solid #2 TE in the pass catching game and seems he'll be inexpensive. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I actually really like this deal. For what was available on the Free Agent market and "affordable" we had no better option available to us this off season. Will be a solid #2 TE in the pass catching game and seems he'll be inexpensive. 

Could even be a #3 option. He'd be one hell of a third TE.

While he isn't as good a blocker as Celek he' probably the best blocking tight end on the roster, and is a better pass catcher than Celek at this point. In addition it gives us a veteran option but I think he slides into the Celek role.

If you'e looking for the guy to play a role similar to what Burton did, Billy Brown played well enough to earn a roster spot last off-season but got caught up in a numbers game and spent the entire season on the practice squad. I think he ends up making a contribution to this team as a converted wideout with athletic ability to move around the formation.

I still think drafting a tight end before the third is outright foolish. I' not taking a guy at 32 who is at best the 4th option in the passing game and maybe even 5th or 6th, especially when the main 3 guys ahead of him in targets are or will be signed long term.

What a load of nonsense.
Rodgers is the lock solid #2 receiving TE.  Period.  End of story.
The Eagles could sign another TE who is primarily a blocker.
Or, they could draft a developmental TE and use Seumalo as a blocking TE.

But, a round 1 TE is officially out.

It is the same situation at LB.  They signed too many FA's.

The options in round one have been reduced to DB, OL, WR and RB.
The latter two seem less likely as the need is diffused and so is the talent.

I suspect James Daniels is the target.  He measures up in every way.

Reid is also on the board.

Archived