Seahawks Have Been Very Quiet

showtime

I'm constantly looking over at the NFL News section of this forum hoping to see some Seahawks news.  I look over Twitter and other places and it's so quiet.  Outside of releasing Richard Sherman, which quite a few people saw coming (many predicted a trade, but still, he isn't on the team anymore) and Michael Bennett the team really hasn't actually done much.  Actually, the Seahawks no longer have Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson, or Paul Richardson.... so they have done a good job at actually getting worse - which is highly disappointing.

Obviously Earl Thomas still lingers over everyone's heads, but this off-season overall has been very quiet and just disappointing overall.  Especially with the Rams making note worthy moves every few days, it seems.  What does everyone here make of this really quiet off-season and what can be done to make it better.... whether that be trading or re-signing Earl Thomas, anything regarding the draft, player development, etc.

I’m not pleased. It’s not like this is the first off-season we’ve been quiet either. 

Those big name trades were compensation for lack of activity during the past off-season. I can’t believe I’m citing him, but in this case he’s right— Colin Cowherd was talking about how Russell Wilson has always been the rock of this team. And while I don’t necessarily agree that he’s the main reason we’ve been successful during the Carroll era, the fact of the matter is that he’s what remains and so far we’ve failed to build around him. 

Richburg, Pugh, Norwell, Mewhort, Boone, Fulton, Fusco, Kline, Spain.. our interior OL is weak, yet we neglected to even really try and being these guys in. Fluker is a consolation prize, but big surprise: he can’t pass block.

Letting Richardson go, I’m fine with. He was expensive. But there were a lot of decent #2 options that we could’ve brought in. And while I like Jaron Brown, again... it feels almost like a consolation prize. We got something so of course it’s better than nothing. But a trio of Baldwin-Brown-Lockett is scaring no one. 

I wasn’t a huge fan of Vannett coming out, but maybe he could surprise. There were quite a few TEs I liked in this class.. so we sign Ed freaking Dickson. We whiffed on ASJ, we didn’t even try with Trey Burton. Eric Ebron can’t block but he’s still loaded with potential and is a better pass-catcher than his reputation would lead one to believe. Would’ve loved if we kept Willson, especially for how cheap he went for. 

It seems like we’re doing the bare minimum and expecting Russell to keep making magic out of minced meat. It’s like we’re the new Colts of the NFC. Maybe we’ll get by on the heroics of our QB. Maybe Pete smartens up and drafts Wynn (I honestly feel we’d still be a wildcard team if our line was at least average, just because we have Russ). 

The offseasons have become nearly predictable to me. We make a lot of moves we shouldn’t and pass on a lot of guys we should consider. The only times I’ve been proved wrong in the past few years are with Frank Clark and Justin Britt. The only moves I’ve celebrated are Griffin, Reed, Lockett, and Ifedi to an extent. Our drafting has been pretty gross since 2012. We’ve been taking the scouting for granted by leaning on a core group of guys and the flaws of that system have finally caught up to us. 

I’m not stoked. The end of an era is near. And I think it’s about time we inject our locker room with a new culture.

In a way, it's been a really exciting off-season for me personally because after letting go a few of the Super Bowl era players and moving in an undeniable new direction (at least personnel wise, for now) it will be easier for me to grow with this team and their journey without clinging to past success which I haven't experienced. with mostly new coaches and some young talents getting some serious gametime.

But, on the other hand, I completely understand why these past few weeks have been frustrating for many, and it's probably difficult to feel excited when these past few years have been filled with good playoff runs and an all-time defensive unit.

It will definitely feel more natural to embrace the team and players now that we're all moving in a new direction, instead of hopping at the tail-end of a generational roster.

And, while Wilson is here, we'll always be a dangerous team, no matter who we play and who walks out in a Seahawks jersey alongside him.

Im cool with it. They lost a good chunk of talent, but brought in guys they think can replicate some of that lost production. Outside of another DB [guess Maxwell believes his market value is higher than what Seattle is offering?) what other position still needs to be addressed?

Also, I think the staff really believes in the 2017 class being able to contribute more in the their 2nd year. 

Pocic, Darboh, Moore, Thompson, Hill plus Jones, Carson, and Griffin who contributed alot last year. McDowell, yah never know. [Although im not banking on it]

Finally, Im sure the staff is thinking about 2018 and those comp picks. 

This off-season has pretty much followed the Seattle MO. Salavage the scrap heap, find guys they think fit their scheme, give them 1 year prove it deals. Seattle already made their splashes DURING the 2017 season [Duane + Sheldon].

8 hours ago, animaltested said:

Also, I think the staff really believes in the 2017 class being able to contribute more in the their 2nd year. 

Pocic, Darboh, Moore, Thompson, Hill plus Jones, Carson, and Griffin who contributed alot last year. McDowell, yah never know. [Although im not banking on it]

Which is great because last year's class combined with this upcoming one could see some nice minutes on the playing field, and that certainly won't hurt their development.

I'm also really excited for Darboh, he should get plenty of snaps this season and he could have a quietly solid season, much like Paul Richardson last year.

We'll probably trade back in the draft too, collecting some more picks, so there are going to be a lot of exciting young guys on the team who will likely have to contribute right off the bat.

Before the off-season began, I thought the Seahawks could really challenge for the NFC West one last time at least.  The team suffered a lot of injuries and still came very close to making the postseason.  Heck, until the last quarter of the season, the Seahawks led the division for a majority of the season.  It's kind of disappointing to me that the team basically has conceded the NFC West to the Rams.  I kind of see us as nearly in the same boat as the 49ers, although I believe the Seahawks are better than the Niners at the current moment.

I think you guys do make a good point that it is just time to move on from some of the guys from the SB era and bring in some young fresh talent.  The front office was able to build this team up years ago through the draft and making some spectacular picks (Wilson, Wagner, Sherman, etc), and that has to happen again.  The Seahawks really need to start hitting on draft picks and I think they have in guys like Griffin, etc.

A quiet offseason is a good offseason.  I think it shows confidence in what you have, and not panicking to maintain some supposed arms race.  

With all the injuries last year, a youth movement makes a lot of sense.  As long as #3 is still playing, this era of winning will not end, it just means it will take a different supporting cast to do it.

3 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

A quiet offseason is a good offseason.  I think it shows confidence in what you have, and not panicking to maintain some supposed arms race.  

With all the injuries last year, a youth movement makes a lot of sense.  As long as #3 is still playing, this era of winning will not end, it just means it will take a different supporting cast to do it.

We're getting younger and are still not many pieces away from being elite and stacked.

It will be great if we develop those pieces internally and through the draft, as we've seen how much the Saints have improved this past season after drafting some real talent.

Some difficult choices were made and it's never easy seeing guys who've won the first SB in franchise history move on, but, no matter what happens in the coming seasons, I think that we're moving in the right direction.

1 hour ago, TheChancellor said:

We're getting younger and are still not many pieces away from being elite and stacked.

It will be great if we develop those pieces internally and through the draft, as we've seen how much the Saints have improved this past season after drafting some real talent.

Some difficult choices we're made and it's never easy seeing guys who've won the first SB in franchise history move on, but, no matter what happens in the coming seasons, I think that we're moving in the right direction.

You make a solid point. Maybe over the next couple of years, the Seahawks will continue to build and get better while the Rams will be having to make some very tough decisions over that same amount of time with their salary cap.

10 hours ago, showtime said:

You make a solid point. Maybe over the next couple of years, the Seahawks will continue to build and get better while the Rams will be having to make some very tough decisions over that same amount of time with their salary cap.

That's the game. Seattle is where they are now because they reached that point where they had to make tough decisions. They seemed to have decided to mainly start over and regroup. We'll see if Les Snead and McVay continue to be geniuses. That's what killed Seattle. You guys stopped drafting well. You gotta be able to replace your guys with cheap, young players. Y'all started relying on trading for vets.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's the game. Seattle is where they are now because they reached that point where they had to make tough decisions. They seemed to have decided to mainly start over and regroup. We'll see if Les Snead and McVay continue to be geniuses. That's what killed Seattle. You guys stopped drafting well. You gotta be able to replace your guys with cheap, young players. Y'all started relying on trading for vets.

Very true.  The Seahawks had some dream players drafted, but naturally that will come to and end... at least at the rate the Seahawks were lining them up.  At the end of the day, all Seahawks fans need to be really grateful they were able to win a championship while their window was open.  Best of luck to the Rams over these next few years in making that push.

4 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

as long as the QB is great, miracles could happen.

GB hasn't had much for a decade but they always have a chance

do miss the run game/double threat though

True. But we need to fix our running game in order to enable those miracles.

Considering that it was completely non-existent last season, it's reasonable to assume that our offense can only improve from now on, barring injuries.

Archived