If I were running the NFL, I'd be pushing HARD for the NCAA to pay athletes.

Apparition

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

You think a couple thousands of dollars is going to have a great influence on the way people feel about football? I personally don't. The prize would still be the NFL money. Which is there whether NCAA pays or not.

Given the amount of profit generated by NCAA football I think "a couple of thousand dollars" is underselling it. 
And again, even if NFL money would still be the prize, what would the incentive be for  kids to go through the wear and tear of playing football at the college level when the chances at reaching that NFL money are so small?

3 minutes ago, Huelon said:

So a coach has to make a financial deal to bring players in? What happens when those he talked $$$$$$$ with fail to live up to expectations??

I'd try to institute a model similar to the NFL rookie scale that would take the financial negotiation out of the coaches' hands. 

Agreed that college athletes ought to be paid (the division one athletes, anyway).

Disagree that the NFL is in any sort of position to push the NCAA to do anything. The NCAA is a known corrupt agency that has lots of reach. I don’t think the NFL can force them to do anything. 

Nor do I actually believe that not-paying the football players is effecting the NFL product. High school athletes that are good at playing football and may make a career out of it, know that their payday is coming through football. It might push some fringe talent guys into another career path, but I don’t see that lessening the NFL’s talent pool. 

I think if you’re afraid of the NFL losing it’s athletes, that’ll stem from losing the younger ones to other, more safe sports.

47 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I always figured each could take a % of what the football program makes and split it equally among the players.  You could use the numbers from the last 5 years to decide the next 5 years or something along those lines.  For example, a quick Google search says Bama made around $46 million last year.  If you only pulled 5% of that into the pool, it would be around 27K each player (assuming Alabama had the full 85 man roster).  

I'm not super knowledgeable about the situation so I don't know how feasible that is, but it would be one route they could take.  

So which college sports get axed to cover that 2.3 million? Rosters are actually 105 including walk ons, do they get paid too or just the scholarship guys? Are other schools allowed to match Bama or are they all capped at 5% of their football earnings? How much do the softball players at Alabama get? If you pay athletes in 1 sport, you gotta pay them all.

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'd try to institute a model similar to the NFL rookie scale that would take the financial negotiation out of the coaches' hands. 

Look  at the mess the NCAA has been from day one, do you honestly believe adding who gets paid, who makes what and who doesn't is going to work?  Trust me it won't.

Stud RB Chris Warren (Seahawks) might be the only player in the NFL out of Furman. Chris Ivory is out of tiny Tiffin,, every heard of it, yep...me either. What about these players from  these tiny schools?

Just now, Huelon said:

Look  at the mess the NCAA has been from day one, do you honestly believe adding who gets paid, who makes what and who doesn't is going to work?  Trust me it won't.

Stud RB Chris Warren (Seahawks) might be the only player in the NFL out of Furman. Chris Ivory is out of tiny Tiffin,, every heard of it, yep...me either. What about these players from  these tiny schools?

There are thousands of people whose job it is to figure out how to apportion money. A lot of them are very good at it. The idea that a massive organization like the NCAA can't find people to figure this out is pretty preposterous.

18 minutes ago, Starless said:

Given the amount of profit generated by NCAA football I think "a couple of thousand dollars" is underselling it. 

don't know how to phrase this but obviously the more you give the players the more it affects the NCAA's bottomline.

I think there is roughly 250 D1 footballs teams. I believe that they are 85 scholarship players. That is roughly 20 thousand more employees. Just $10,000 per would be ~200 million dollars.

It would obviously be more complicated than that but there is gonna be a huge impact financially for them. And every little more you add has a huge impact. 

So they would have to find the right sweet spot where it is valuable to them. Not sure that is gonna actually be the case. Maybe, I certainly don't know.

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

There are thousands of people whose job it is to figure out how to apportion money. A lot of them are very good at it. The idea that a massive organization like the NCAA can't find people to figure this out is pretty preposterous.

Where does this money come from?  So JC athletes have to wait?  The money is the same for big schools, little schools, HBCU schools. all the different divisions?  The NAIA?

Look what money did to track and field, it ruined it.

19 minutes ago, Starless said:

That would be an anti-trust violation and lead to a huge lawsuit quite quickly without a collective bargaining agreement to establish such rules so to do so we'd first need to establish a union for all these players.

14 minutes ago, youngosu said:

So which college sports get axed to cover that 2.3 million? Rosters are actually 105 including walk ons, do they get paid too or just the scholarship guys? Are other schools allowed to match Bama or are they all capped at 5% of their football earnings? How much do the softball players at Alabama get? If you pay athletes in 1 sport, you gotta pay them all.

Again, for me it comes back to how much risk the players are shouldering by participating. You pay a football player who's playing every snap of every game one amount, you pay another who's playing maybe a handful of snaps a smaller amount, you play a volleyball player a smaller amount still. 
It might not work out that way in reality, but that's how I would organize things.

3 minutes ago, youngosu said:

That would be an anti-trust violation and lead to a huge lawsuit quite quickly without a collective bargaining agreement to establish such rules so to do so we'd first need to establish a union for all these players.

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Starless said:

Again, for me it comes back to how much risk the players are shouldering by participating. You pay a football player who's playing every snap of every game one amount, you pay another who's playing maybe a handful of snaps a smaller amount, you play a volleyball player a smaller amount still. 
It might not work out that way in reality, but that's how I would organize things.

Most sports lose money, most athletic departments lose money. 

If the NCAA were somehow able to force schools to pay players it would be the end of most college athletic programs and you'd end up with even less guys for the NFL to choose from. 

The Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC, and all the small conferences will never agree to pay its players directly even if they could afford it (and most of the schools couldn't) so you'd be left with the SEC and parts of the Big 12. You'd go from 130 FBS schools to around 20 (all 20 of whom would eliminate most of their other sports only keeping enough to avoid title IX violations). 

Archived