Forum by forum Mock Draft - Pick 19

Jason_Bengal_Fl

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Yeah that was dumb

It was about need and fit for them...They "needed" a pure edge player that fit their mold of a rusher.

Watt was more of a two point do it all football player who could hunt the ball and rush off the edge. He didnt fit the mold or need. And the superior player, as a result, was passed over.

Its a.lesson i hope they have learned now, and why Id be all in for Ridley in this situation!

21 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Hey, im all for the DE. But you cant argue that Ridley is a top weapon in the draft. The remaining.options are all the tops of the second tier of players...Ridley is part of that top group. If they went with the flash and potential over the much higher,.more complete, more pro ready, more star potential-ed player if this scenario played out in real world (never would, Ridley is going in the top 12) I would seriously question whether the FO was sharing a.crack pipe in the war room.

And the Cowboys always like getting the top player at his position. Should I like DJ Moore better than Ridley? Because I want to. Ridley body catches a lot.

8 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Not following?  Ridley, Moore, Sutton and Kirk, two first rders and 2 on the bubble...all pre draft visits or in the case of Sutton a personal visit from Garrett. 10 spots remain open on pre draft visits. 

Given the pursuit of Watkins...the obvious feelings on Bryant, I think a WR in rd 1 is very much in play. 

Unless you know for a fact that you are releasing Dez as soon as the first day of the draft is concluded. You don't draft a WR. But the signing of 2 WRs plus still having TWill and Dez on the roster. It's already overkill. 

Plus you are basically tossing out the entire receiving core that Dak is familiar with and giving him all new ones and expect him to perform better? That's a recipe for disaster. 

7 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

It was about need and fit for them...They "needed" a pure edge player that fit their mold of a rusher.

Watt was more of a two point do it all football player who could hunt the ball and rush off the edge. He didnt fit the mold or need. And the superior player, as a result, was passed over.

Its a.lesson i hope they have learned now, and why Id be all in for Ridley in this situation!

Weren't you the one saying Rods mold for a pass rusher is smaller and can turn the corner quicker? Well Watt fit the mold perfectly, so I say there was something else about that.

15 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Unless you know for a fact that you are releasing Dez as soon as the first day of the draft is concluded. You don't draft a WR. But the signing of 2 WRs plus still having TWill and Dez on the roster. It's already overkill. 

Plus you are basically tossing out the entire receiving core that Dak is familiar with and giving him all new ones and expect him to perform better? That's a recipe for disaster. 

I'm not disagreeing with your notion. I think it's ridiculous WR is in play rd 1 or even rd 2, but I believe Dallas has made it obvious there will be changes coming. I believe Dez may stick this year, I don't expect that to hold true for next year and there isn't a #1 on the roster when he's gone.

6 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm not disagreeing with your notion. I think it's ridiculous WR is in play rd 1 or even rd 2, but I believe Dallas has made it obvious their will be changes coming. I believe Dez may stick this year, I don't expect that to hold true for next year. 

Fwiw, this is what SJ said 2 days ago:

Well, I just think we’re always trying to get the very best players," he said. "Obviously, we have internal decisions to make in terms of our roster and who’s going to be on it and who’s not going to be on it. We just want to give ourselves options. We wanted that receiver position to be competitive, we felt like we needed to improve upon last year. We felt like the best way to do that with our new (wide receivers) coach that we brought in, Sanjay (Lal), is to have a very competitive situation. I think we’ve helped that in free agency, but it certainly doesn’t rule out taking a player in the draft as well. It could be in the first three rounds if the right guy were there that we like."

Of course, the Cowboys never rule out much publicly leading up the draft. Stephen Jones said Tuesday that drafting a quarterback or running back in the first round is unrealistic, but otherwise their options are “wide open” with regard to the No. 19 pick.

18 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

You are letting the need dictate to you which player you select on a team that has so few super star caliber guys. Slap yourself.

Is WR a need with Hurns here now? No. But Dez is nearing 30, has 3 straight subpar statlines in a row due to injuries, and his cap hit is only getting worse. Ridley not only safeguards you for Dez's eventual release, be it this season or next, and insures you agaimst another Dez injury, but it also gives you arguably the top WR in the draft and a complete, week 1 impact player with said star potential.

Hurst, Wynn, Davenport, all sound good. But they are the next group of first round guys. Ridley easily should have been gone by now. He is one of the top players in.the whole draft. Passing on the star for the more pressing need or the more cookie-cutter fit is how we got Byron over Collins, Taco over Watt, and going further back, Felix over Johnson or Mendenhall.

Pick.the star caliber with the higher grade and.worry about fit and need later. You dont pass up chances to add a top player so you can address bigger needs with lesser players. Thats how a team goes 8-8 three straight years.

Ridley is not Calvin Johnson. Infact I wouldn't even say he would crack the Top 5 of WR prospects of the last 3 years. Maybe crack the Top 10. You say don't draft need. Well what the hell would this be then? Because he would not be BPA at that point. Marcus Davenport is still a better prospect and most especially Connor Williams. Who I can't believe people aren't voting for considering they are all about BPA appearently.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Ridley is not Calvin Johnson. Infact I wouldn't even say he would crack the Top 5 of WR prospects of the last 3 years. Maybe crack the Top 10. You say don't draft need. Well what the hell would this be then? Because he would not be BPA at that point. Marcus Davenport is still a better prospect and most especially Connor Williams. Who I can't believe people aren't voting for considering they are all about BPA appearently.

Im not considering him Calvin. If he were that surefire hed be going #4 to.Cleveland.

However -

He checks every box in every category you can mention. 

2016 vs Clemson? Ran past their entire defense, broke easy separation with outstanding route running.

2017 vs Florida. Displayed just how great his route running is, separating with ease every time he turned his hips

2017 championship game. Despite being overshot by bad QB play, still had the mental toughness and awareness to track down a ball on 4th down that was clearly meant for the RB in the back of the end zone that was sailing and likely to be intercepted, playing both Db and Wr to win the game.

Made great work of one of.the top corners of last year, Vernon Hargreaves, both working him over with speed and route running ability.

Ridley is pro ready. He runs faster than his 40, which was pretty good to boot. He suffered through terrible QB play (Coker? Geez) and yet somehow found ways to produce. He runs routes on a level many pros are incapable of, good pros at that. He fights for.every catch, and has consistently climbed the ladder against some of the best (again, 2016 vs clemson).

The guy runs a slant on par with the best in the NFL right now at doing so: OBJ, consistently getting the corner turned around with a fast hip fake and deceiving him to the outside, before shifting inside with explosive suddenness and buying, consistently, 3-4 yards of space ON A SLANT!

He is not a shy blocker, either, running his man off the ball deceptively then shielding him off from the play. He does everything you want your wideout to do, and has no flaws, and reminds me of another great do-it-all receiver who flew under the radar because he lacked flash, but certainly did not lack polish and talent: Larry Fitzgerald.

Ridley is the top WR in this class. I dont care if he doesnt have the flash of Moore, or the exciting 4.3 40. Ridley does everything well, and will shred this league for a long time while keeping quietly out of the spotlight. Again, like Fitzgerald.

Lol his route is suspect if he is not the No.1 target. Not Moss type selfish but you can see it.

You saw it during the Clemson and Georgia game this year. He is a willing blocker but plays undersized when trying to block a defender.

And Sutton suffered from bad QB play and still produced. Moore as well. That's a common trait for some of the best WR's in this class.

What you see is what you get with Ridley, as he has probably just about maxed out his potential aside from a few things he can clean up in his game.

If he was as good as you say he would not make it out of the Top 5. Such as 4 to the Browns as a top target for Darnold.

Archived